Author Topic: Proton Treatment - anyone?  (Read 2240 times)

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Proton Treatment - anyone?
« on: February 22, 2006, 11:24:05 pm »
Really don't have a lot of info on this procedure and need to check into it. I know that Mass General Hospital has it...

Has anyone here had it or know much about it? Info seems to be limited.

Thanks!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

wanderer

Re: Proton Treatment - anyone?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2006, 04:16:08 am »
I had read something a year ago regarding it,    I have no idea where it was from,  but what I read said it had a much higher rate of failure and side effects compared to the other radiation type machines.    I believe there is a proton knife in loma.

sorry that's all I can remember.   

Raydean

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2006, 05:44:38 am »
It was diiscussed on the old list serve.  If I'm remembering right those more knowledgable in the area of radiarion thought it was  to strong for the tumors.  Of the 3 people that I know that was treated by proton, one had a very sucessful outcome, the second had outcomes that did interfere with his life, the third  had very significant problems including quality of life issues resulting in his being disabled. All were treated at Loma Linda. I also heard from one of these people who were treated at least 4 years ago, that after the cases that had significant outcomes that the size of treatable tumor was reduced down to 2 cm at Loma Linda and MGH. Again this was per patient info.

Best to all
Raydean
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2006, 06:15:43 am »
thankd wanderer and Raydean for the inputs. I did look at the MGH website last night regarding the Proton treatment and really didn't see much info except that it's expensive to maintain, thus, many insurances don't help.  Saw the focus on malignant tumors and really not much on head/neck treatments (a small link was provided). 

Phyllis
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2006, 09:22:43 am »
Link for Proton treatment at Mass General Hospital, for your reference.

http://www.mgh.harvard.edu/cancer/about/providers/radiation/proton/faq.asp