Author Topic: Nancy's Spa Day - Lipo and a Face Lift  (Read 79031 times)

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
Re: Nancy's Spa Day - Lipo and a Face Lift
« Reply #150 on: April 13, 2009, 01:14:15 pm »
WARNING!  MAJOR SCAR PHOTO!  WARNING!  MAJOR SCAR PHOTO!
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

cindyj

« Reply #151 on: April 13, 2009, 01:19:46 pm »
Nice scar, Nancy!  "Enjoy" it while you can, it goes away very quickly!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

nteeman

• Back to Mono
« Reply #152 on: April 13, 2009, 01:20:52 pm »
Nice one!  Wear it proudly.

;)

Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
surgery performed on 1/27/2009 Mt. Sinai Hospital, NYC
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha
9:30am thru 5:50pm
http://www.facebook.com/neal.teeman

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #153 on: April 13, 2009, 01:21:19 pm »
WOW!  Now that's a scar  :o - much longer than my retrosigmoid one.

Nancy -

watch out for fatigue - it will hit you when you least expect it.

As someone else said (Ernie ?) your body will let you know when it needs rest.  But, don't ignore it.  Listen to it, please!  ;D

As for your question asking if translab has "fewer unpleasant outcomes" I'm not certain.  All I can say is my outcome was very pleasant and I chose retrosigmoid.  Didn't have any steroids except for one very small dose post op.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

moe

« Reply #154 on: April 13, 2009, 01:42:09 pm »
OOH yucky, gorey. I see dried blood in your ear! :o
That is impressive. You'll be able to show it off better since it is a little higher up from the ear. Mine went right along the ear line, so I can't really show it off now. Too hidden.
The recovery continues, one day at a time. Take it easy. Make sure you are pampered, or pamper yourself. Rest lots.
Books on tape are nice (or DVD) as well as calming nature CD's :)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #155 on: April 13, 2009, 01:42:29 pm »
a battle scar well earned, to be displayed proudly!  Actually, they did a great job on it! Looks terrific! I know them MGH/MEEI scars and "another one bites the dust!"

Nan, looks great! Onward, upward, yada-yada, blah blah! See you Sunday! Please hang in there and get some rest! :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #156 on: April 13, 2009, 02:33:34 pm »
Nancy ~

I braved your incision photo and survived, perhaps because like most of the folks reading/posting here, I've seen an AN incision scar, before.  It was mine.  :)

You're certainly energetic, and it seems to be part steroid-induced and partly just a desire to take control of your situation.  I had a very similar reaction, post-op.  If you don't have any set-backs, you should recover rapidly, as I did.  I was driving within 2 weeks of my surgery - with my surgeon's permission.  You'll probably have a similar experience and we'll cheer you on while you do.  I hope any digestive tract imbalances will soon be corrected.

Thanks for your upbeat posts.  Very encouraging to those contemplating surgery anytime soon. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

MissMolly

« Reply #157 on: April 13, 2009, 03:03:27 pm »
Nice scar!  The funny part was your banner warning came after I had opened the message with the picture.  It was funny.

You look like you are healing really well.  I'm also glad you are feeling it was worth it.  I'm sure relief is a big part of it!!  You look great!

Molly
Diagnosed 3/09 1.1cm tumor - 4/17/09 - had grown to 1.2
Age 61 - married with three adult kids
MidFossa surgery completed June 22nd
Mass General/Mass Eye and Ear - Martuza and McKenna
The tumor has grown back.  Now working with Mass General.  Dr. Loeffler feels I am not a candidate for proton beam.

SML

• If wishes were like horses, we would ride.
« Reply #158 on: April 13, 2009, 05:04:19 pm »
OH Nancy!! I just took a big bite of spaghetti when I saw your scar!

Just Kidding! ;D ;D ;D

It’s a nice one indeed! Funny how we posties like showing off the scar! Wear it proudly, you’ve earned it.

Scar...lett :D
SML(Scarlett)-Massachusetts
1.5 cm x 2.5 cm Cystic AN - Right side
Retrosigmoid 3/18/09 at MGH in Boston,MA.
Dr. Barker - Neurosurgeon, MGH - Dr. Lee - Neuro-Otology, MEEI
no facial issues, SSD right side, balance issues to work on.
Outstanding Surgeons, I'm very happy with the results.

lori67

« Reply #159 on: April 13, 2009, 05:39:48 pm »
Nancy,

That is a very impressive badge of honor you have!  And you've earned it!

I'm so glad you're home and doing well.  I just knew you'd do great!  If you plan on taking Ernie up on his offer to visit Florida, swing through Nashville on your way - I'll bet those steroids won't seem so strong after chasing my two little ones and two dogs around for a little while!  Takes more than that to keep up with them!   :D

Enjoy your family.  They sound like mine - they come to take care of you and you wind up playing the hostess with the mostest.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

joebloggs

« Reply #160 on: April 13, 2009, 06:11:01 pm »
Nancy, sounds like you going great guns!  I had the same toilet issue as you when on the steroids.  I tried a few different hard core remedies but none of them worked.  The docs prescribed coloxyl senna which I had to take morning and night... it took a while but worked eventually... let me just say after 8 days I was starting to feel a bit uncomfortable and relief doesn't even go halfway to describe what I felt when the pills kicked in!  Good luck!!
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #161 on: April 13, 2009, 10:51:40 pm »
Awesome to hear things are going so well. Maybe you should consider doing the Cape Cod Bay Challenge with us this year.... ;). Save some of those roids... ::)
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

NancyMc

« Reply #162 on: April 13, 2009, 11:51:14 pm »
JB,
Thanks.  I really needed that advice about now.  I'll call first thing in the morning for a script call-in.  I ate a whole artichoke last night.  Where did it go?  Well, I look like I'm going to have twins . . .

Stoneaxe,
You can't have any of my 'roids!

I didn't know they caused blockage, thought it was the anesthesia.   
Just hope I don't have to repeat the course if that's what my problem is.  Saw a little upturn on the right side of smile last night.  But the septum? lists to port severely.  Eye gel first time tonight, and it worked wonders, but it's a little blurry on the monitor.
Okay, time for 2 am 'roids.
Nancy

NancyMc

« Reply #163 on: April 14, 2009, 07:18:23 am »
Day 6 Post-op:
I'm really trying to get that nasty scar photo off the top of the page as well as post an update.  Maybe this will do the trick.
Last night awarded more sleep as a result of the eye gel.  When I was up for 2 am steroid feeding, I no longer felt the need to stay awake so I could voluntarily keep my eye closed. 
Dave washed my hair in the kitchen sink, so I'm feeling more presentable.
Current symptoms are only major listing to starboard sitting and standing.  No dizziness even with eyes closed, which surprises me.  Right eye cannot close independently of left eye.  Just looked in mirror and saw an almost horizontal attitude to my smile.  The vertical lines extending below the septum still get pulled to the left though.  Right eye lid drooping almost as much as left now (oh, goody!).  SSD remains of course.  Tinnitus seems about the same.  Still wired on steroids but start taper on next dose.
And of course, constipation!  Need to get some exercise today.
Much better than expected outcome.  Thank you to my great team of surgeons, anaesthesiologists, and nurses!  And thank you to my AN family for preparing me for this journey.  I can't believe I'm on the other side.
Nancy

tsl

« Reply #164 on: April 14, 2009, 09:10:11 am »
Nancy,
I've been following your thread.  Words that come to my mind to describe you are AMAZING, WOW, AWESOME.  My little niece would say that YOU ROCK!  My little nephew would rate you as WAY COOL with your scar. 
As I said before, you and Dave make an unbeatable team.

Take care. 
-Theresa (tsl)
AN diagnosed Dec 2006
Approx. size 9 x 6  x 4 mm
Proton Beam radiosurgery wtih Dr. Jay Loeffler (radiation oncologist) and Dr. Paul Chapman (neurosurgeon) at Mass. General on Nov.2, 2007