Author Topic: Questions about symptom onset and how long to diagnose  (Read 3428 times)

Keri

Re: Questions about symptom onset and how long to diagnose
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2009, 09:13:37 pm »
I have a great ENT in Silver Spring, MD. He found / diagnosed my AN and recommended my neurosurgeon.  I know northern VA is a bit of a hike from Silver Spring, but if traffic's not too bad, a do-able drive. ENT's name is David Bianchi. Let me know if you need contact info.

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

kabby

Re: Questions about symptom onset and how long to diagnose
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2009, 09:31:17 pm »
I went to an ENT about 4 years ago for what I thought was an ear infection---full feeling, diminished hearing.  He sent me for an MRI immediately but I panicked in the tube and left.  The hearing issue never cleared up, and got worse.  I also had some pain in that ear and some weird ringing, like a hammer on metal.  A year later, I went back to that ENT and he yelled at me (lovingly) for having waited so long.  He prescribed valium and an open MRI.  When I had it done, that same day, I took the film back to him and he got all excited--"You have what looks like an acoustic neuroma.  I have seen them, but don't specialize in them but I know someone who does."  He called the Otorhinlaryngologist the next day, and got me in there within a week.  I am very grateful to the ENT and was happy to see that he was voted as one of "Philly's Top Docs".   
I may be wrong, but I think doctors are becoming more aware of this type of tumor, and therefore diagnosing them more quickly.

K.

Right side AN 2.8 x 1.8  SSD
Diagnosed 2003-Watch & wait until 3/09
Looks like it's gonna be translab