Author Topic: Thank you to this AN Forum  (Read 6940 times)

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
Re: Thank you to this AN Forum
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2009, 02:51:07 pm »
Hi Clarice-

And, a welcome from me, too!  Add me to the list of symposium attendees - my hubby, Willie, and I are already registered and paid up.  I can't wait to meet the other folks from this forum - they are wonderful people who held my "virtual hand" and dried my virtual tears and calmed my very real fears on more than one occasion.  Can't wait to meet you, too, Clarice.

And, Pooter - please convince Jenni to come to Chicago!  You are a special member of my AN family and I would so love to meet you both.

hugs to all,
Debbi (sneaking up on my one-year anniversary!)
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2009, 05:36:22 pm »
Hi One and All ....

Sorry if I sounded a bit "wall-flowery" on my original post.  I guess the school teacher in me came out .....  When I was teaching I tried to always be aware of that student who hung back from the group and then do something to bring her/him back into the mix and feel as though they counted.  Well, you all have done just that and I thank you!!!  :-* :-* :-* :-*

No problem to move this thread ..... I debated about whether to use AN Community in the first place.  (I'll learn my way around here eventually.  :-\)

My husband, Truman, and I sat down this afternoon and plotted our trip westward this August/September.  Although we live in West Virginia now, I went to high school in Minot, North Dakota (YES, WINTERS WERE COLD THERE!).  A significant reunion is planned for September after the symposium in Chicago in August, so we decided to make a swing to the National Parks in Utah in between.  Here's hoping I remain upright while looking at the majestic highs and lows of the scenery!!

Clarice

P.S. Deb, "Maurice" can be pronounced two ways, as well ..... oh my, that's another whole story ..... truly, I answer to anything, but thought I would try to get it started here the way my mother wanted it.  :D
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2009, 06:27:33 pm »
JKL are notorious for hijacking.

Ha, Pooter!  Surely you jest!!!  :D

Hope to see you - with or without Jenni - in August.

I, too thought Clarice was pronounced like Maurice (sort of).  Didn't realize you could pronounce it like Paris  ???

You know, that's one of the best things about this forum - you learn new things every day.  And not just about ANs, either. 

Yeah to Debbi and Willie on the symposium attendance  ;D

Jim, we'll miss you - and the lovely and gracious Tina also.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2009, 08:11:53 pm »
Clarice,

Funny you should mention the pronunciation of Maurice!  My mom's maiden name was Maurice and it was pronounced like "Morris"  - like the cat from the 9 lives commercials.  The people in her hometown near Boston could say it right, but once she moved to NJ, no one did.  Of course, by then she was married and it didn't matter much since she had a different last name anyway - which was Italian, and no one could pronounce that right either.  She just couldn't win, I guess.   :D  I always assumed it was a Canadian or French pronunciation.

Anyway, sounds like you have a great trip planned.  Glad you're not attending a reunion in North Dakota in the winter!  Or is it already winter in September? But, to quote Larry the Cucumber of Veggie Tales, "Minot be so bad - if it wasn't for the Badlands".

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2009, 08:24:07 pm »
Boooooooooooo to Lori ..... just kidding ;D  Actually I am just getting reacquainted with Veggie Tales via our 4-year-old granddaughter so I'll have to ask her where Larry says that.

Clarice

Kaybo

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2009, 08:31:02 pm »

The promised "Larry & Bob" picture!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Dana

• Hi!
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2009, 09:40:43 pm »
Clarice,
There's all kinds of involvement here -- I jump in every once in awhile, especially if I happen to come to the forum and see a 'newbie' who hasn't gotten the grand welcome yet (like, they posted about a minute ago!!).  I just remember so vividly how this forum was my lifeline when I was first diagnosed and how important folks' responses were.

It does take awhile to get used to the inside jokes -- there's the pirate thing, and the 'drinking' thing, and the scarf thing, and the knit caps by Steve.  Occasionally we get into a "West Coast" vs "East Coast" thing, but mostly we back away from that because we know we might really get serious about that one (both we "Best Coast" folks, and those from the East Coast....:-)

I would love, love, love to go to the Symposium; if paychecks from my new job pay off enough bills that went unpaid after I got laid off in November, maybe I can.  I think everyone from the Forum should wear a scarf or a pirate insignia or something like that.

I'm getting my 1-1/2 year post-GammaKnife MRI soon, so fingers crossed............ I've been so lucky with no worsening symptoms, whereas some folks have many things to search for and talk about here.  And, of course, God bless those who are willing to be moderators.  It's really a phenomenal forum and group of people, balanced information and lots of emotional support all wrapped up in one package!

Love to all,
Dana
1.5 cm AN diagnosed June 2007.   GammaKnife July 19, 2007 at Univ. of Washington/Harborview GK Center, Drs. Rockhill, Rostomily. 
After yearly MRIs for 5 years, it hadn't died. So I'm now leaning strongly toward surgery.

Dana

• Hi!
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2009, 09:42:10 pm »
Oh, I forgot why I started to post before -- Sue used "tumor" and "humor" in the same sentence....maybe it's already been coined, but we certainly do display TUMOR HUMOR !!
Dana
1.5 cm AN diagnosed June 2007.   GammaKnife July 19, 2007 at Univ. of Washington/Harborview GK Center, Drs. Rockhill, Rostomily. 
After yearly MRIs for 5 years, it hadn't died. So I'm now leaning strongly toward surgery.

Rich56

• a caregiver's 2-cents
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2009, 11:33:15 pm »
Debbi,

Thank you so much for starting the Magic Scarf, Scarlett really drew strength from it's magical powers.

4/30/09 is just around the corner,

Rich

P.S. sorry for the hijack Clarice ;D
SML (Scarlett's) other half, she had - 1.5 cm x 2.5 cm Cystic AN - Right side
Retrosigmoid on 3/18/09 at MGH in Boston, MA. Dr. Barker & Dr. Lee of MGH/MEEI
no facial issues, SSD right side, balance issues to work on.
The AN Calendar is here: http://www.my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Rich56

• a caregiver's 2-cents
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2009, 08:47:56 am »
Clarice,

I'm very glad you decided to join in.  As you already know from following along the different threads, the people on here are just the best.  Although I am just the spouse of an ANer, they have welcomed me just the same.

Hope I wasn't too out of line with the hijack, I just couldn't resist ;D  Though it was just in fun, the sentiment, Debbi, was from the heart.

Scarlett and I will finally get to meet some of these wonderful individuals in Worcester on April 19 at the brunch.

I hope you enjoy the Symposium along with the others this summer,

Rich
SML (Scarlett's) other half, she had - 1.5 cm x 2.5 cm Cystic AN - Right side
Retrosigmoid on 3/18/09 at MGH in Boston, MA. Dr. Barker & Dr. Lee of MGH/MEEI
no facial issues, SSD right side, balance issues to work on.
The AN Calendar is here: http://www.my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2009, 10:55:03 am »
Kay -

very nice picture of the Veggie Tales guys.  Did you purposely coordinate your daughter's outfit to match both of them?  (Sorry, I couldn't resist asking  :D )  Seriously though, it IS a nice picture.

Dana -

great to see you again.  Did you notice that Steve's hat knitting isn't just a joke now.   He's actually knitting up a storm, even as we speak.  His hats are all over the forum - and he has a very nice website dedicated to them also.  Check out his profile; there's a link.

It would be wonderful if you do get to the symposium.  The more the merrier  ;D

Good luck with the upcoming MRI.  I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.  Please make sure you let us know how it goes.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Dana

• Hi!
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2009, 12:00:26 pm »
Jan,
Yes, I've noticed that Steve is busy knitting!  In fact, I'm close enough to Portland, I can almost hear the click of his needles if I listen closely!!!
Dana

sgerrard

« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2009, 01:04:57 pm »
Hi Dana,

I haven't said hello to you in a while, so I am now. You were diagnosed the same time I was, and had radiation just two months ahead of me. We are in the same part of the country and on much the same AN journey. I just had my 18 month MRI, reported as unremarkable, thank you very much.

I will have to work you into the hat list. Got a favorite color?  ;)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2009, 02:09:31 pm »
Kay, what a delightful picture of your daughter, Larry, and Bob!   :)

Dana, I sure hope you make it to Chicago!!  Too bad we don't have redeemable coupons to use for it ...... it's a steep one!

Rich, I have been following all of the pirate things, drinking things, scarf thing, knit caps, regional things, etc. ..... I just did not feel a part of them, when I jumped in the middle of it all ..... but I am gradually becoming more comfortable as a fellow forumite.

Maybe when I get more stars I can get on Steve's hat list .....   ;)

I've been fighting a lousy sinus infection this week ..... first one since surgery and the returning headaches are not much fun.  This too shall pass!

Clarice

Dana

• Hi!
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2009, 02:13:22 pm »
Ooooo, how about orange to go with my snuggly windbreaker... believe me, both the windbreaker and a knit cap will be WELL USED in Ocean Shores.  Man, it's cold here.  I moved here from San Diego for L..O..V..E, but even love doesn't keep we warm enough!!! 

Glad your MRI was "unremarkable" ... does that mean, to you, that the AN is just dying in place?  I'm not looking forward to the MRI, but I am looking forward to the results.

Cheers...and thanks for the hat offer!
Hugs,
Dana