Author Topic: Emotions ALL OVER the map!  (Read 2888 times)

DLM4me

Emotions ALL OVER the map!
« on: April 04, 2009, 02:07:01 pm »
As the title says, my emotions are all over the place right now.  Surgery is on Wednesday, so I guess it's not that strange to be a bit emotional this close to surgery.  But it's a very odd mix.  One minute I feel completely at peace--I know I have the best doctors (Brackmann, Stefan, Schwartz, et al at House), not nervous or anxious at all, actually looking forward to Wednesday getting here so we can just get this over with.  And then the next minute I'm crying. Just like that.  With absolutely no thought or anything that provokes it...I just start sobbing.  And it's weird.  If anyone asks me I say I'm perfectly at peace with it all because, really, I am.  But the spontaneous tears baffle me!

To reiterate something I've said in other posts: I've had big-time major surgery many times before, so it's not like I'm unused to, or scared of, the idea of being operated on and/or in the hospital.  I normally do NOT react this way at all prior to surgery.  I really can't explain why THIS one has hit me so differently from all the others...but it has.

Middle fossa craniotomy 04/08/09, Drs Brackmann, Schwartz, et al, St Vincent/HEI in Los Angeles.

cin605

Re: Emotions ALL OVER the map!
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 02:12:56 pm »
I was the same way.
I wish you all the best w/ your surgery & look forward to your postie land post.
Just a couple more days..it will be behind you.Look forwrd to the relief of finally having the big cling on gone!
Shake your self off & say phewww. :)
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 02:31:23 pm »
DLM4me ~

I'm sorry to learn that you're having to deal with these spontaneous emotional outbreaks but I wouldn't worry too much about it.  You're facing brain surgery in a few days and while the odds are very high that you'll do just fine, as so many others have, the fear of the unknown is a powerful source of angst.  Even though the chance of anything life-threatening happening during the surgery is infinitesimal, I suspect that the knowledge of all your other 'big-time' surgeries and subsequent lengthy hospitalizations along with the fear of the unknown in this operation is generating the underlying stress that manifests itself in these spontaneous crying episodes.   In short: the logical part of your mind knows this operation is necessary and will go just fine but the emotional part of your mind sees the past (surgical complications, long hospital stays), considers the unknown aspects and reacts with tears, a way the body releases some of the built-up stress.  Again, you have our collective empathy and support.  Try to remember that many people you've never actually met will be thinking of and praying for you on Wednesday.  Meanwhile, crying is allowed.  :)   

Jim   
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Keri

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 08:39:57 pm »
I echo that, many will be praying for you.
I think it is natural to feel this way. My emotions can be all over the place at times, sometimes for no reason at all (that I can pinpoint). You do have a valid reason!
Take care,
Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Kaybo

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 08:43:51 pm »
Next time you spontaneously break into tears, try the Hokey Pokey...I promise you can't do it and cry at the same time!!   ;D  It should make anyone else around you laugh too (& wonder if you are REALLY all there!)...

K ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Rich56

• a caregiver's 2-cents
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 10:20:25 pm »
Hi DLM4me,

My wife Scarlett had her surgery 17 days ago.  The emotions that we experienced are consistant with yours.  I'm with Jim, "crying is allowed".

Our thoughts and prayers are flowing your way,

Rich & Scarlett
SML (Scarlett's) other half, she had - 1.5 cm x 2.5 cm Cystic AN - Right side
Retrosigmoid on 3/18/09 at MGH in Boston, MA. Dr. Barker & Dr. Lee of MGH/MEEI
no facial issues, SSD right side, balance issues to work on.
The AN Calendar is here: http://www.my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Adrienne

• I'm a postie now, and it feels so much better!
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 10:48:58 pm »
I haven't had my surgery yet either (not even a date set) but I can totally relate to your emotions.

I'm going to guess and say that maybe the reason yours are so all over the place this time rather than with your other surgery(s) is b/c the outcomes from this particular surgery are so NOT predictable.  As we know, we can have the best surgeons and not the best outcomes OR have the best surgeons and come out great.  It's the piece where it's out of our hands that makes it all that much more scary.  So I get it.  Makes sense, but doesn't make it less frustrating or nerve wrecking waiting for it.

Good luck with everything.  It's too bad that our worry/stress/anxiety/tears/etc have no outcome on the surgery!  Try to remember that you've done everything you can to ensure success (good surgeon and place).  Your part is done.

((hugs))

Adrienne
3.0 x 3.0 x 2.5 cm AN, left side.  Diagnosed Feb. 19th,2009
Retro Sig surgery with Dr. Akagami and Dr. Westerberg on May 26/09 at Vancouver General Hospital
SUCCESS! Completely removed tumor, preserved facial nerve, and retained a lot of hearing. Colour me HAPPY!

sgerrard

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2009, 11:51:25 pm »
Grace,

I think Adrienne hit on one good reason - AN surgery outcomes are not very predictable. I think you yourself actually hit on another one - you have had enough surgeries already, and really don't need another one (not that anyone needs any).

I also think that ANs strike us a little too close to where we live - our heads. I notice that a small symptom in my ear, a little pressure or fullness, will worry me more than a sharper pain in my back, knee, or hip. Those are just joints. Even pains in the abdomen have to be much stronger to be really troubling. But the least little thing in the head itself really gets to us. That's what makes headaches so much more troubling, for instance. They interfere with us being ourselves.

So having brain surgery is a little more special than other surgeries, a little too close to home for comfort.

There, there, you'll be okay. :)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009, 06:30:14 am »
Sounds normal to me.  It is a roller coaster ride and you're better off crying than holding it in.  The peace that you mention is what will take over just before surgery and what will see you through.  Sending you best wishes,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

bpham

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2009, 09:42:59 am »
I was so anxious before the surgery to get this over with since the tumor bothered me greatly, could not sleep (had to sit up straight to sleep everynight for 2 months) and just wanted to get back to normal.  It turned out it was the best decision that I made.  Now I'm living almost normal live and found other hobbies to do,etc...

I did also went to HEI and Dr. Friedman and Schwartz did my surgery and they're the best.

Good luck.
1cm AN on the left side.  Surgery was on Oct 2007 at HEI.  Currently having issue with it, may be a CFS leak.  Not feeling too well.

DLM4me

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2009, 09:50:06 am »
Thanks everyone.  I think you're all on to something.  Even though I've had plenty of surgery--including emergency, life-saving surgery--the brain is...well, THE BRAIN!  I've made my living with my smarts.  I've defined myself by my ability and intelligence. Just THINKING about something--however unlikely--going wrong, it's scary.  I've made very clear in my durable power of attorney that I would not want to be kept alive in the event of irreversible brain damage, etc., but even so there's just that unknown.

The only other time I felt afraid going into (planned) surgery was when I was twenty-two and had to have a hysterectomy.  My fear then wasn't about *ME*--I wasn't, and still am not, afraid of dying per se--it was about my husband who would've been a very young widower with a child to raise alone.  My sadness then was that I might not get to see my child grow up.  But everything else in between just didn't hit me at all.

Now, about the Hokey Pokey--I can't even stand up without losing my balance!!  But the MENTAL IMAGE of trying to do the Hokey Pokey right now was so funny I literally laughed out loud. :)

Middle fossa craniotomy 04/08/09, Drs Brackmann, Schwartz, et al, St Vincent/HEI in Los Angeles.

tenai98

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2009, 10:20:10 am »
I can relate to what you are going thru. My surgery is the day before yours. right now I'm trying to keep busy by helping out hubby around the chicken coup. Chickens arrive the day of surgery, so I'll want to get home to see the little critters.  I'm anxious for Tuesday to arrive, but yet I'm not.  Its still surreal at the moment.  I'm guessing the day of surgery it will hit me hard...
One step at a time for now.
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2009, 09:53:14 am »
DLM4me,

I can totally relate to what you've said.  While I didn't break out into tears, I was all-consumed by everything AN-related between diagnosis and surgery (right at 1 month).  Everything seemed heightened.. Every twitch had to mean something.  Every time my tinnitus got louder meant my already big tumor was getting bigger.  I spent HOURS on the computer at all hours of the day and night researching.  Like  you, I defined myself by my intellect.  I was the main provider at home.  The source of love, comfort and money to Jenni and my two kids (both pretty small still).  I was in a highly-technical position at work that required that I "be there" mentally.  I couldn't fathom not being myself again.  I had two main concerns going into surgery:  1) would I look the same and 2) would I BE the same..  I was torn up inside worrying about those two things..  Like you, I wasn't afraid to die (at first I was, but very quickly got over that), but I worried incessantly about how different I would be both physically and mentally.

I get it.. I understand it.  I've been there.  I've learned since then that this AN thing will throw some curveballs your way..  In ways that are least expected.  But, you know what?  You'll meet those challenges and beat them.  You'll be able to climb hills that seem SO big.  Those that you least expect will be there to help along the way.

Remember our motto:

We'll also all be there for you praying, cheering you on, and generally supporting you in every way that we can...

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Rich56

• a caregiver's 2-cents
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2009, 11:01:55 am »
Hi DLM4me,

Will there be anyone updating for you?

Scarlett and I will be praying for a safe and successful surgery,

Rich & Scarlett
SML (Scarlett's) other half, she had - 1.5 cm x 2.5 cm Cystic AN - Right side
Retrosigmoid on 3/18/09 at MGH in Boston, MA. Dr. Barker & Dr. Lee of MGH/MEEI
no facial issues, SSD right side, balance issues to work on.
The AN Calendar is here: http://www.my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

moe

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2009, 12:27:25 pm »
To Grace and JO too,
Both surgeries approaching. You will feel so much better when it is all behind you.
Our prayers are with you both.
Rest easy......
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty