Author Topic: Steroid weirdness  (Read 1547 times)

Lupy

Steroid weirdness
« on: April 04, 2009, 03:50:10 pm »
Hi everyone, I have just been put on Dexmethsone, which i think is similar to Decadron, to assist with some pre op issues such as sudden face numbness and greater ear pressure. I am finding that it is making me very depressed and weird fluctuations in energy levels - when I have just taken it I feel very 'high' and do the whole house cleaning sock draw organizing thing  :P, but then after a few hours I just feel exhausted (could this be blood sugar levels?). Are these experiences similar to other people? I know it affects everyone differently, I was just intersted to hear what other people went through. The last lot of steroids I was on made me feel awesome, these are just... weird.

Thanks!

Lupy
“Life is a mystery to be lived, not a problem to be solved” S. Kierkegaard

2.5cm Tumour removed 1/7/2009
Retrosigmoid @ The Royal Melbourne
Debilitating headaches/migraines from 2 weeks post surgery till current.

nteeman

• Back to Mono
Re: Steroid weirdness
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 04:25:08 pm »
Lupy,

I was on dexmethesone (it is the generic name for Decadron) after my AN surgery this past January. Yes, it does increase your sugar level and while in the hospital they monitored my blood sugar closely and even gave me a dose of insulin on one occasion. When I left the hospital I was on a schedule to wean me off it, though it took more than 2 weeks until I was done. I had trouble sleeping while on it and I got 'roid rash on my knuckles, elbows, knees and ankles. When I was finally off it I found I felt better and my incision healed faster. I guess it serves a special purpose after a brain operation but I am glad I am off it now.

Cheers

Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
surgery performed on 1/27/2009 Mt. Sinai Hospital, NYC
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha
9:30am thru 5:50pm
http://www.facebook.com/neal.teeman

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 08:22:19 pm »
Yes, the blood sugar thing happens.  I'm diabetic, and it was on the high side while I took that, but my doctors said it would come down when I was done with it all.  I had it for 5 days after my GK.  I had the dosage that starts out with a bang, lots of pills, and then tapers down.  The day after my GK, I was feeling pretty darn good.  I was higher than a kite.  I could have waxed the drive-way, chopped 8 cords of wood and climbed Mt. Hood, before 9 AM.   ;D  Then it was downhill from there!  I also suffered greatly from insomnia.  THAT, my friend, was a miserable week. 

I hope you don't have much more of your weirdness.

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Keri

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 08:33:39 pm »
Hi Lupy,
I was on prednisone (don't know if it's similar but it's a steroid). I was on it when I was newly diagnosed in hopes that it would bring back my hearing. I had been on it before in a dose that reduced everyday - that didn't bother me too much. When i was on a higher dose, I thought i was going to go crazy (insomnia was a huge problem and just feeling crazy / anxious). I was supposed to be on 9 days but I stopped after 5 and begged not to be put back on it. They gave me something for swelling post op, but whatever it was, I wasn't on it long enough for it to affect me adversely, or, who knows? maybe all the other stuff i was on counteracted it!
Anyway hope you can get relief soon.
From your other posts, you seem super busy! Meds adding to your stress just sounds like no fun at all.
Take care,
Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Lupy

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 03:45:32 am »
Thanks guys! I am not sure how long I will be on the dex now. They are using it to lessen my symptoms while I wait for surgery, which could be up to two months away yet! Apparently you can be on them for quite a while (at a low dose) and the side effects go away when you stop taking them. I just hate teh side effects of teh drugs - but I also hate the side effects of the tumour! Kind of a no win situation really! But I guess you just do the best you can while keeping as much of your sanity in tact as possible... And I will have a VERY clean house at the end of the two months.

Lupy
“Life is a mystery to be lived, not a problem to be solved” S. Kierkegaard

2.5cm Tumour removed 1/7/2009
Retrosigmoid @ The Royal Melbourne
Debilitating headaches/migraines from 2 weeks post surgery till current.

Keri

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 08:49:37 pm »
shhh.... if my husband reads that he'll want me to go get back on steroids!
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!