Author Topic: This Week (4/05/09) in the World of the Misdemeanant AN  (Read 4936 times)

LADavid

This Week (4/05/09) in the World of the Misdemeanant AN
« on: April 05, 2009, 10:18:08 pm »
Busy busy.  Just got back from a day of kayaking -- first time as a postie -- but with balance issues and all, I didn't end up in the water -- which was a very good thing -- the water was freezing (by LA standards for all of you in the Northeast and Canada -- oh yeah, and Bulgaria, Hrissy, Germany, Dan, Scotland, Anne -- and I could go on -- you get the point).

So what's going on this week?

Monday is Tube o' Gloom day.  First up, Bob (Stoneaxe) from Massachusetts is having his 5 year MRI.  And next Marianna (MK) from Canada is having her 1 year MRI.  May you both have unremarkable film.

Tuesday is Jo day.  The first Jo (Tenai98) from Beachburg, Ontario is having a Translab in Ottawa.  Now before I go on, I need to say something -- your sister can't be bothered with updating us? -- if I could put my phone number on this Forum, I would, and I'd ask you to have her call me to discuss this.  If all else fails, I do hope you can access a laptop.  Best wishes for a very successful surgery, Jo.

The second Jo of the day is JoeBloggs, the Australian paddleboarding wonder who is having her 1 month postie check-up.  Hope all goes well Jo.

On Wednesday, DLM4me here in LA is having her surgery at House.  Have a great surgery and may you be up Hokey Pokeying in no time.

Also on Wednesday (finally) Nancy (Nancy McDonald) from New Hampshire is having a Translab at Boston's Mass General Hospital.  From a fellow Clan Donald member, safe home, Nancy.  BTW, you and Seal are missing each other by a few days -- same surgeons, same place.

Next, on Thursday is a day off.  Do whatever you feel like doing -- maybe the Hokey Pokey.  That's what it's all about, you know.

Rounding out the week on Friday, Stormy is having a Mid-Fossa at the University of Iowa Hospital.  Best wishes for a very successful surgery, Stormy. (next week's AN adjective in your honor).

And finally, Molly (missmolly) from the Northeast is celebrating her birthday.  Happy Birthday, Molly.

That's the week. Have a great one everybody.

David

« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 10:21:41 pm by LADavid »
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

joebloggs

Re: This Week (4/05/09) in the World of the Misdemeanant AN
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 01:52:04 am »
Wow what a busy week! 

Good luck to all having their surgeries and tubes of gloom, you're all going to rock them!  I know it!  And happy birthday Molly!!  Have a good one. 

I was just looking at kayaks today thinking about buying one for a paddling/kayaking double therapy situation for the next few months.  Hope you had fun David!

Cheerio

JB
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 07:54:25 am »
Busy is right!

Good luck on your MRI's Bob and Marianna!

Jo (tenai98), my prayers are with you as you head off into surgery on Tuesday!  I bet you'll do great!

JB, I didn't get a 1 month checkup.  2 weeks for staple removal and then next appointment will be 2+ months from surgery date.  From your latest post, sounds like you're doing great!  Good luck at your appointment.

Nancy and DLM4me,

I posted this on another thread, but my prayers are with you both on Wednesday.  Nancy, maybe you will see Seal there and can get a picture snapped?  Seal is the next Monday, so you may (fingers crossed) be home by then.

LADavid - We'll all be waiting for a video of you doing the hokey pokey on Thursday :).

Prayers going out to Stormy on Friday!  I like the name Stormy because I am a meteorologist :).

Happy Birthday (in advance) Molly!

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

Cheryl R

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 08:21:30 am »
I will add to the week line up of having head and spinal MRIs at Univ of Iowa Weds AM very first thing and my neurotologist appt then later in the AM.                    April 17th is my 1 yr anniv of my left mid fossa which gave me some hearing back and of course now am nervous to hope there is never any more on that side again.                        We go tomorrow am as will go visit relatives too.              Tomorrow is the 3 yr anniv of my CSF leak surgery.   March 23rd was the 3 yr anniv of my facial neuroma surgery,
So I don't add it all to the AN calender.                               I haven't had the spinal MRI since 2003 but heard I better have an update there too to make sure no spinal tumors.                 I have poor veins so just hope the lock gets in ok to get the contrast.
                                                            Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 08:37:45 am »
Cheryl,

Good luck with your MRI's.  Hope they find absolutely nothing on your spine and in your head.  Well, by nothing, I mean no tumors, of course!  ;D

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

joebloggs

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 09:01:57 am »
Good luck Cheryl, I will cross my fingers for you xxx
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 09:42:43 am »
David, Your "safe home" brought tears to me eyes.
I was whining (yes, I'm whining already, Anissa) yesterday via PM to Lauralynn that my friends seemed to have disappeared of late.  Well, they're coming out of the woodwork now.  Lunch with Rachel, a call from Claudia, tea with Bermuda clients as they are in town for a bit.  My, oh, my!  I'll be all tuckered out!
Thank you, every one of you.  I know you know what this forum means, so I can't say, "You can't imagine how much you guys mean to me."  But there I did anyway. 
I had to mail my son's 21st birthday card just now, and I dropped by the lake to say "A bientot," and thought, I'll be paddling soon, very soon.
nANcy
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

Cheryl R

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 09:49:20 am »
Thank you and I would gladly send you the 4" of snow central Iowa got yesterday.   More than that north of us.       I do know about the Florida humidty as the 2005 AN symposium was in Disney World in June.      I don't do humidity well so if ever make it back will be in a different season.
   I wil post for the newer ANers about my experience when we got home.          I got a letter from the company where we tried to get long term care ins from.             I was rejected because of my unsteady gait.                 They had only went over medical records and of course saw balance issues but my only surgery at that time had been in 2001.            I read this right after walking all over Disney World on my own and while working as a nurse in a hospital with all kinds of people who really did have unsteady gait.  
It still really makes me mad to think of it.  
And no,Scarlett.     Not getting to come to Maxwells as am in the middle of the midwest.           I would love to!      Have always wanted to come to Boston and much of the NE.      
                                                                             Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Kaybo

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009, 01:41:31 pm »
David~
Did you like the Hokey-Pokey comment or are you making fun of me??  I don't know what came over me - we had watched Bedtime Stories Friday night and Saturday and the girlies kept quoting the Hokey-Pokey part!  They LOVED that movie - very cute!  I guess it is pretty fitting to boost your spirits, though!! ;)

K ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

LADavid

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2009, 02:40:24 pm »
Kay
You know I would never make fun of you.  Maybe kid you a bit.  Actually, the Hokey-Pokey was a reference to a comment DLM4me made in an earlier thread.  But come to think of it, the Hokey Pokey would be a great balance exercise -- until you get to that "then you turn yourself around" part.  That might be a bit challenging.
David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2009, 03:03:05 pm »
Dave:

Thanks for this week's update.  You do an excellent job and it is genuinely appreciated.   

May both Bob and Marianna experience uneventful MRI reports.  My very best wishes and prayers for Jo as she undergoes surgery on Tuesday, for DLM4me and Nancy McDonald on Wednesday and for Stormy on Friday.   I look forward to seeing them as 'posies' very soon.  Finally, a sincere happy Birthday wish to our own Miss Molly.  :)

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Kaybo

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2009, 03:10:28 pm »
David~
She commented on the Hokey-Pokey because I had posted earlier that she should try it when she gets weepy - it is hard to cry AND do the Hokey-Pokey!!

K ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Rich56

• a caregiver's 2-cents
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2009, 05:04:17 pm »
Jo, DLM4me, Nancy, and Stormy, Scarlett and I will keep you all in our thoughts and prayers for safe and successful surgeries, and that your recoveries are swift and trouble free.

Best wishes for nice clean MRIs, for Bob and Marianna, and to JB on her 1 month checkup.

David, glad you had a good time kayaking.  I’m with Ernie, on the video deal ;D ;D

Wishing you a Happy Birthday Molly :)

Rich & Scarlett
SML (Scarlett's) other half, she had - 1.5 cm x 2.5 cm Cystic AN - Right side
Retrosigmoid on 3/18/09 at MGH in Boston, MA. Dr. Barker & Dr. Lee of MGH/MEEI
no facial issues, SSD right side, balance issues to work on.
The AN Calendar is here: http://www.my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

SML

• If wishes were like horses, we would ride.
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2009, 08:02:32 pm »
Hi Cheryl,

We didn't realize you were in Iowa. Another 4" of snow OMG, ours is finally almost gone.

You curtainly have had your share of surgeries, lets hope that's it. All our best to you on your MRIs.

Scarlett & Richie
SML(Scarlett)-Massachusetts
1.5 cm x 2.5 cm Cystic AN - Right side
Retrosigmoid 3/18/09 at MGH in Boston,MA.
Dr. Barker - Neurosurgeon, MGH - Dr. Lee - Neuro-Otology, MEEI
no facial issues, SSD right side, balance issues to work on.
Outstanding Surgeons, I'm very happy with the results.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2009, 01:32:56 pm »
wishing everyone wellness this week! Good MRI's... terrific treatment outcomes and recoveries. My huggles are with everyone this week!  and Molly, happy birfday! :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"