Author Topic: Laura surgery update  (Read 17887 times)

cindyj

Re: Laura surgery update
« Reply #105 on: April 29, 2009, 08:37:03 am »
So glad to hear she's going home...sounds like she's doing very well and is much more than ready!  Only hope she'll be able to handle her newly found freedom once she's home with no tags and bars to keep her restrained :D

Thanks for your updates, Barbara!  I agree, you should be our official post-op update person...

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #106 on: April 29, 2009, 09:00:56 am »
Barbara,

I haven't chimed in on this thread yet as I've been watching your updates (for which, I am grateful!).  Laura is SO very lucky to call you a friend and I thank you for sharing with us all how she is doing. This is great news she is now heading home and so many prayers have been answered. Please give her my very best wellness wishes... and Barbara, thank YOU for all you have done as well! Truly!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

moe

« Reply #107 on: April 29, 2009, 09:18:28 am »

!!! :) :)

So glad you will be able to get out of your own bed now without being held captive.
That was funny about the bed rails up and the walker out of the way, but also made me shake my head. Definitely time to go!!!!!
Rest easy.
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #108 on: April 29, 2009, 03:21:02 pm »
Congratulations to Laura on her excellent recovery and imminent release from the hospital ! 

Kudos to Barbara on her regular, detailed, interesting updates.  Although we all want to see Laura heal and regain normalcy, the daily reports were fun to read and will be missed.  The good news is that soon, Laura will be able to post on her own!  Looking forward to that.  :)

Jim 
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #109 on: April 29, 2009, 06:34:29 pm »
Wow!  I don't know what news is better, reading that Laura's double-vision is gone, or finding out that she's going home  ;D

Laura must be ecstatic - I know I am !

I'm also very happy to see that Brenda was able to make it to the hospital to see Laura, despite being ill earlier in the week.  Kudos to you, Brenda!

Barbara, thank you once again for the wonderful job you've done of "reporting" on Laura's recovery.  Don't be a stranger, you can come back and "visit" us anytime  ;)

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sgerrard

« Reply #110 on: May 02, 2009, 11:02:12 pm »
Barbara and Laura,

I find I am missing the "here are today's (5/2) updates on Laura's progress." :)

I hope you are visiting together now, and will soon both be giving us updates on your visit and status.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

lauralynn

« Reply #111 on: May 17, 2009, 01:29:02 am »
Hello everyone,

Sorry that I haven't been online since i've been home.  Just poppiing in for a minute to let everyone know that I am ok.  Since I've been home I've had no energy at all.  I still feel nauseus especially on the day rhat I have to change my transderm-scop patch.  I still have severe facial weakness on the left side of my face....though I do feel tingling.  My left hand does not know how to type anymore....very frustrating.  Thank you to all of you that responded with such kind words to me and my wonderful friend Barb.  I'm supposed to return to work 5/27.  I don't see that happening.  Just recently have been able to walk w/out assistance.  I get exhausted doing the littlest things.  I have a follow up appt. w/ my neurologist this coming Monday.  Barbara was absolutely wonderful to me when she stayed with me.  Our visit was great even though I wasn't able to do much.  My kids are staying with their father.  My oldest daughter Elisabeth (17) is staying with me, my boyfriend is also hellping me and friends also.  Can  anyone tell me when I will regain some energy?  I will try to pop in at least once a week. 
4 cm left AN/diagnosed 1/23/09
Translab 4/14/09
Cyberknife 7/09
Gold weight implant 8/09
Barrow Neurological Institute, Phoenix
Dr. Syms and Dr. Porter
Balance issues, 100% hearingl loss (left ear), tinnitus, facial numbness/pain,
chronic fatigue, weakness, eye issues

God Bless everyone

sgerrard

« Reply #112 on: May 17, 2009, 02:02:46 am »
Welcome back, Laura.

I am sorry to hear that you are still struggling with your recovery. It can be slow, especially when the AN was large to begin with. You are probably wise at this point to postpone the return to work if possible. I would continue to walk or move around as much as you can, it seems to help with getting the balance adjusted and your energy level back up. Try not to let the slow pace of recovery get you down; patience is your best friend now, and it will happen with time.

Take care, and give our best to Barbara too.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #113 on: May 17, 2009, 05:02:08 am »
Hi Laura,
I hope by now you are experiencing some increased energy.  Let us know.
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #114 on: May 17, 2009, 07:10:09 am »
Hi, Laura.
It's so good to hear your voice again.  I'm glad you have your daughter there to help you and give you company.  It is tough when you get down about your recovery, and being alone increases the frustration. 
I've found that my energy level has dwindled since my steroid use ended.  I take naps on days when I feel the urge and sleep a lot more at night than I did pre-op.  I have to take breaks from physical work and feel a lack of motivation when faced with boring or tedious tasks.  I'm trying to find something to look forward to because that usually lifts my spirits, so I'm thinking about two weeks from now when my son will be home for the summer.
Know that your difficulties are not unusual, and try to help your body heal:  good food, fresh air, light exercise, lots of laughs and smiles even though they feel funny. 
Dave cut my hair the other day.  He had never cut anyone's but his own before, so it came out a little funny, but today his daughter is going to try to patch up his work.  Then I will have a picture taken of me, and when you see how much my face has improved, you will have a whole bucket full of hope to splash around in. 
I'm thinking of you and sending all the positive vibes I can to the other side of the continent.
Best to you and your family,
Nancy
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

Keri

« Reply #115 on: May 17, 2009, 12:26:53 pm »
Hi Laura,
I too will hope and pray for your continued progress in recovery. It is slow. I was never on steroids post op, so I can't compare my energy level with or without them. I know at a month post op I was still pretty dang tired. Still am at times, although I'm able to do a lot now (but I'm now over 3 months post op). Like Nancy said, the facial weakness / paralysis hopefully will get better and it does take time. It's encouraging for me to see my progress and to know that Nancy is right behind me and you're right behind her.

I hope also that at your follow up visit you get good answers and encouraging news.

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

lori67

« Reply #116 on: May 17, 2009, 06:45:10 pm »
Laura,

I'm so glad you're home!  I know it seems like you'll never get your old energy level back, but it will come back...unfortunately, not as quickly as you'd like it, I'm sure.  You have to remind yourself frequently that your body has just been through the ringer and deserves a little down time to recover. 

The tingling in your face sounds like a good thing and I'm sure your hand will get the hang of typing again too.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #117 on: May 17, 2009, 06:53:50 pm »
Laura -

very nice to hear from you  ;D

The fatigue post op was more than I ever anticipated.  Initially it seemed like just taking a shower required a nap.  Things will get better though - it just takes time.

My neurotologist told me that six weeks is the "norm" for recovery, but that the fatigue would last longer than that. 

You'll get there.  As hard as it is, try to be patient.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

teffaz

• We read to know we're not alone.
« Reply #118 on: May 18, 2009, 02:13:17 pm »
Dear Laura,
Oh, I am so glad to hear from you. Thank you for making the effort to post!! That has to be hard.

Since I'm not a postie yet, all I can say is we are all thinking about you and praying for you.

Please do let us know from time to time how you are doing.

Best,
Brenda
1.5 cm. x .5 cm AN
translab May 2009
SSD (before surgery as well as after)
grateful for incredible surgeons: Dr. Porter & Dr. Syms
Barrow Neurological Institute; Phoenix

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #119 on: May 18, 2009, 02:37:50 pm »
Laura,

Prayers answered and so glad to hear you are home.  Please take it easy and I'm thrilled to hear that your support is fully engulfing you.  You are truly blessed in Barb, your daughter and all that surround you. Please take it easy and type when you can. I'm truly thrilled that we heard from you. 

Please be well... and continued wellness wishes coming your way.
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"