Author Topic: Laura surgery update  (Read 17894 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Laura surgery update
« Reply #60 on: April 22, 2009, 06:34:19 am »
Although some AN surgery patients do have seemingly miraculous recoveries with very brief hospital stays, that is really not the norm. 

Nausea, headaches and double vision are fairly common post-op experiences for AN patients.

Very, very important points.

I had the double vision and horrible nausea - couldn't even keep water down - but I found that things got better every day.  Laura is a perfect example of that.

I'm so happy to hear that yesterday was a good day for her and that's she's on her way to being released.

You have done a tremendous job of updating us on her progress, Barbara - very detailed and specific.  Thanks for being such a good friend to Laura.

I'm looking forward to Laura's first post as a postie and I'm confident it's right around the corner.

Please give her our best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #61 on: April 22, 2009, 08:13:46 am »
Hello again, Barbara ~

Like everyone else, I'm very pleased to learn of Laura's progress.  Apparently, her recovery is moving along reasonably well and that always generates patient optimism and the motivation to keep it going on a positive track.  I call this the 'return to normalcy'.  That usually begins with just being able to eat something and get out of the hospital bed and often culminates in going back to work, driving and otherwise resuming your 'normal' life.  However, its 'one step at a time'. 

When I was in the hospital, recovering from my AN surgery, my goal was to be discharged and go home just as quickly as possible.  Because I was 'out of it' and slept for most of the first 48 hours, post-op, I didn't really try to become ambulatory and demonstrate my competence to go home immediately, but once the effects of the anesthesia wore off and my body had a chance to rebound from the trauma of surgery (by sleeping a lot) I was determined to get my life back, and that life was not going to be lived in a hospital.  Fortunately, I was able to be discharged within 120 hours (5 days) of my surgery and my recovery went well.

Please convey my encouragement to Laura (along with that of everyone else) and the hope that her recovery will continue to progress and she can be home again, soon.  :)

As always, thanks so much for taking the time and making the effort to update Laura's AN friends, here.  It is much appreciated.   

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

moe

« Reply #62 on: April 22, 2009, 09:43:35 am »
Yippe  :D,
Great news! Time heals, and I"m sure she's feeling the effects of the iron and blood transfusions.
What a relief!
Sounds like she may be ready to go HOME.
Does she have someone who would be able to be with her?
I'm sure they could give her the vestibular exercises and it is a matter of resting, pacing yourself, and just letting recovery take its natural course, which as we know, VARIES from person to person!
Good luck Laura, and I'm glad you're feeling better.
You too Barbara- glad you're feeling better that  Laura is feeling better!
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

BarbaraS

« Reply #63 on: April 23, 2009, 11:54:58 am »
Hi everyone -

Sorry I did not get a chance to post last night.  Here are yesterday's (4/22) updates on Laura's progress:

- She had another good day yesterday, and said it was the first day she actually felt well. She had more energy and was in very good spirits when I spoke with her.
 - She ate 3 full meals yesterday. She had mild nausea and a headache after breakfast, but after taking some meds, felt much better. Her doc said that the recurring nausea was because of the post-op swelling, and the nausea should go away as the swelling subsides.
 - She took 2 walks around the unit yesterday afternoon - one with the OT and one with the PT. For the first walk, she used a walker for part of the time, then walked unassisted - and did well. For her 2nd walk (with the PT), she tried a cane instead of the walker. She was wobbly at first, but then had better balance. She also walked part of the way unassisted. She did well with her PT exercises, but admitted that she felt pretty tired afterwards.
 - She was planning on taking another walk last night after we got off the phone.
 - She said the plastic glasses with the tape over the left eye (that I have dubbed the "groovy glasses,") have been helping her with the double vision, but she still felt more comfortable looking at the floor on her walks. She can only wear them for a few hours at a time, though, because they are not overly comfortable. No surprise there.  :)
- She will probably have one more round of blood work today to check her iron levels, etc.
- I was surprised that she was still in the neuro unit when I called last night (as was she). Apparently, her insurance company was still denying the transfer to rehab, which I personally think is counterproductive on their part, as the neuro unit must be more expensive than the rehab unit. (But, as we all know, insurance companies don't always make sense!)  She is expecting to move today - but whether it's to rehab or home is unclear at this point.  I think she would be fine with going home today, as long as she could have the PT visits at her home.

I'm so happy with her continued progress! I'll post another update after I speak with her tonight.

Hope everyone is having a great day!
Barbara
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 01:25:43 pm by BarbaraS »

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #64 on: April 23, 2009, 11:59:11 am »
Barbara -

it's so nice to read about Laura's continued progress.  She's certainly come a long way since you first started posting about her recovery.

I hope more good news is forthcoming and that she'll be sent home very soon.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #65 on: April 23, 2009, 11:59:22 am »
Great news!  Been watching for our update.
I just know she's on her way home and to feeling like her old self.
The journal should be delivered today.
I'm hoping she goes home to her comfort zone where familiarity boosts a return to normalcy.
Tell her we're proud of her strength and hard work to get herself back on her feet.
Nancy
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #66 on: April 23, 2009, 12:33:45 pm »
The news just keeps getting better and better, well, except for the dumb insurance company.

Tell her she is still in our thoughts and prayers, as are you Barbara.

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

Jim Scott

« Reply #67 on: April 23, 2009, 02:27:21 pm »
Hi, Barbara ~

Our gratitude for your continuing updates on Laura remains undiminished.  :)

Laura is clearly 'coming around' and showing much improvement.  Walking unassisted is excellent progress, as is eating fairly normally.  Insurance companies!  Go figure. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

BarbaraS

« Reply #68 on: April 23, 2009, 09:56:45 pm »
Hi everyone -

Here are today's (4/23) updates on Laura's progress:

- The good news just keeps coming - Laura had another really good day today!
 - Her insurance company finally approved her rehab, so she made the move to the hospital's rehab unit around 5pm. She no longer has a private room, but she is fine with that, since she had the luxury of a private when she needed it most - plus she doesn't plan on being in the hospital much longer.  :)
 - She has a PT evaluation tomorrow, and she will get a better idea about when she'll be discharged. She is hoping that she will be able to go home this weekend - another great sign about how much better she's feeling!
 - Not only did she eat all three meals today, but she ate more, and had a good appetite.
 - She was able to take a shower today unassisted.
 - She is still having occasional nausea after eating and a headache when she wakes up in the morning, but meds take care of it pretty quickly.
 - She has a lot of soreness in her arm where her IV line was, but I'm assuming that will go away fairly quickly. That must be pretty common, right?
 - She took 2 walks again today. Like yesterday, she started with the walker both times, and then she walked part of the way unassisted - and did well.
 - The double vision is a little better today. In my non-expert medical opinion, I told her this was due in part to her "groovy" plastic glasses with the tape, which when I spoke with her, she was not wearing. She didn't know where they were - she said they were either packed or got lost in the move to the rehab unit. I laughed and told her that she lost them on purpose because she thinks they are goofy looking. ;)
 - She said the facial numbness was the same, but I thought her speech sounded even better today.

All in all - very good news. She was cheerful tonight and we laughed a lot - it makes me so happy to know that she's feeling more like her old self!

Have a good night!
Barbara

« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 09:40:25 am by BarbaraS »

sgerrard

« Reply #69 on: April 23, 2009, 10:51:22 pm »
Although I bet the taped glasses are groovy, I am pretty convinced that a symptom like double vision clears up on its own schedule, regardless of what devices you wear. Usually pretty quickly, I think, although not always. I think the main things to do are breathe, drink water, eat some, and move around a little. Nature will do the rest. :)

The best news is that she is laughing again. With her spirits restored, the rest will follow shortly. Your phone calls are helping more than you know. :)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

NancyMc

« Reply #70 on: April 24, 2009, 06:48:20 am »
Barbara,
Please pass along to Laura that the IV tenderness and bruises last a long time, so don't fret about them.  Also, I see no end in sight for the numbness.  As  I understand it, that's a matter of nerve regeneration and healing.  The whole area around and including my ear has that dead feeling like when you sleep on your hand.  It's creepy, so I just try not to touch it.
She sounds ready to go home to me.
Thanks for your diligent care.  I'm glad things are better for your sake as well.
Nancy

nteeman

• Back to Mono
« Reply #71 on: April 24, 2009, 07:08:30 am »
Barbara,
Please pass along to Laura that the IV tenderness and bruises last a long time, so don't fret about them.  Also, I see no end in sight for the numbness.  As  I understand it, that's a matter of nerve regeneration and healing.  The whole area around and including my ear has that dead feeling like when you sleep on your hand.  It's creepy, so I just try not to touch it.
She sounds ready to go home to me.
Thanks for your diligent care.  I'm glad things are better for your sake as well.
Nancy

FWIW, I found that while my IV wounds healed quickly the area remained sore until I was weaned off the steroids. Once off the steroids the soreness cleared up quickly.

Cheers,
Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
surgery performed on 1/27/2009 Mt. Sinai Hospital, NYC
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha
9:30am thru 5:50pm
http://www.facebook.com/neal.teeman

NancyMc

« Reply #72 on: April 24, 2009, 07:20:05 am »
Oh!  Thanks, Neal.  I just finished my steroids yesterday, so that's something to look forward to.  I'm looking at that erg, but not sure my brain crashing around in my cranium is a good idea yet.
Nancy

tenai98

« Reply #73 on: April 24, 2009, 08:00:44 am »
Nancy..
I finished my 1/2 apill of steroid 3 days after coming home. So last friday...I was not prescribe any meds other then the 1/2 steroid once a day...I only take tyleno or the likes on a an as needed basis which is rarely...they make me groggy so I stay away from them if I can...I practice my deep breathin (yoga) techniques which help alot.  MY left side is still weak which makes typin a chore...
But all is good...Beau is taking me to dinner tomorrow night...
JO ;D
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

Jim Scott

« Reply #74 on: April 24, 2009, 08:02:16 am »
Barbara ~

The news about Laura just keeps getting better and better!  The taped glasses did sound goofy-looking but, as Steve mentioned, the double vision usually clears up spontaneously.  Mine did and that was the case for many other AN surgical patients.  The facial numbness should also abate with time.  The arm bruises from the IV will last awhile.  Mine took a good two weeks to diminish.  I guess the skin is relatively thin there - but the bruises will disappear.  I'm hoping Laura is discharged this weekend.  Home is always good medicine.  :)

Thanks once more for your informative updates.

Jim