Author Topic: Good Morning!  (Read 804877 times)

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
Re: Good Morning!
« Reply #1935 on: August 23, 2007, 06:06:19 pm »
This show was about two women searching for their Australian/English roots and they traced it back to the ship the Lady Penrhyn.  I found a link that talks about it a bit.  I don't remember the name of the show and I tried to look for it, with no luck, on the Internet.  This was all that I could find in a short amount of time.
I know this is the ship because the names of the women are familiar.  The English government decided that they better ship off some women to Australia before the male prisoners went berserk and raped and God knows what else to the native population, which was already happening.  So they parked this ship in the harbor and over the course of several months they gathered up suitable young women who were guilty of something and stowed them away on this ship and then when they had a boatload...off they went to Australia and it took them 8 mos or something to get there.  The women were free to move about the vessel once they left England and apparently conditions weren't so bad for them as the idea was to get them to Australia in good health.  Only one woman died en route.  Many of the women, intelligent and creative and stubborn, made a good life for themselves in Australia and went on to establish businessess and raise large families and helped to bring stability and a bit of civilization to the new country. 

Click here: Convicts To Australia ... Some Tales

Sue in Vancouver
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #1936 on: August 24, 2007, 09:38:05 am »
  I once commented to my wife that it was interesting that my family surname show up in Austrailia, and wondered how they got there.  My wife wryly said it was obvious why at least one of my ancesters was sent to Australia, and it made perfect sense to her.  :D
Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

vcschaub

« Reply #1937 on: August 24, 2007, 12:27:20 pm »
Thanks for the information. I will look up the name of the ship. However, there was no link on your post. Could you post again? Thanks!!
6mm
Middle Fossa November 8, 2005
Drs Brackmann and Hitselberger
House Ear

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #1938 on: August 24, 2007, 01:38:20 pm »
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side

Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #1939 on: August 25, 2007, 09:20:09 am »
Good thing I dint live in Merry Olde England back in the day--them blokes would've shipped me sorry a$$ off ter convict-land fer sure! Well maybe wouldn't have been all that bad! Nice sea voyage--land of a thousand bee-oooteee-ful beaches.  Lots of blokes to choose from. Hmmmm.............

Vegemite is similar ter the stuff I scrapes from in between me toes after wearin me boots fer several weeks straight. Yummmmm!!!!!!!!

Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #1940 on: August 25, 2007, 09:39:24 am »
Is Vegemite like Lucille Ball's Vitavetavegamine??  or is it really the stuff between our Capt's toes?  & what's Marmite? 
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Captain Deb

• Captain Deb
« Reply #1941 on: August 25, 2007, 11:28:05 am »
Vegemite, Marmite,  and Nutella are all great boat foods--no refrigeration necessary! Vegemite looks like the crud you clean off your kitchen appliances every two years with a toothbrush when you have one of those insane cleaning "attacks." Thank God I don't have those very often any more. They are associated with PMS and menopause  and are an alternative to homicide.

Nutella is really yummy on "bikkies" or a sort of sweet shortbread thin cracker. My favorite is right out of the jar on my index finger. I make sure to wipe the engine oil or bilge water off it first so as not to pollute the jar.

My hubby's ancestors were shipped outta Scotland for stealing sheep--some to America and some to Australia! He don't steal sheep no more--he just steals hearts! (He stole mine fer sure!) ::)

Capt Deb 8)

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #1942 on: August 25, 2007, 12:48:54 pm »
*raises hand*

Loves Marmite (go figure, eh, when the spouse is from the UK, eh?)... LOVES Nutella!!!!  YUMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!  :P
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Raydean

« Reply #1943 on: August 25, 2007, 03:22:31 pm »
Made by a company that be called "Sanitarium,"

That must be the same company that Laz talks about, you know, the people  in the little white coats that are coming to take him (us) away  I'm sure they're from the Sanitarium!!!! <g>

Hugs
Raydean
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Captain Deb

• Captain Deb
« Reply #1944 on: August 25, 2007, 07:24:06 pm »
Well, I'll be dipped in poodle poo! Lookie what Barnacle Brucifer, Scourge o' the seven Seas, has got in his larder! The Wench sure looks like she's lovin' it!!!!!!!  AAAAARRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!

Capt Deb

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #1945 on: August 26, 2007, 10:02:34 pm »
AAAAARRRRRRRRRRRR

Barnicle Brucifer ya scoundrel. Ye might make a decent aussie out ya yet.

Actually, the pic of the kids brings on that famous saying here - happy little vegemites. If a kid is happy or enjoying things, then you say that to them. There was a small crowd of idiots that wanted that saying outlawed playing the race game (re the colour of vegemite). Thankfully common sense prevailed and that small movement died a death.

As for the men in white coats - good guess Raydean but that place will remain a secret. Actually, vegemite goes really well with cheese. If you get a chance to buy some at the world markets then get a small jar coz it's stuff you need to grow up with. Actually, Capitanie, it's also good for polishing da boots.

mmm, tim tam time - woo hooooeeeee, now which flavour shall I have today, mmmm, 97% pure fat - great choice.

Laz
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #1946 on: August 27, 2007, 02:42:26 pm »
I always thought vegemite tastes kind of like Vitamin B smells.  I think I tried it once.  Makes ya wonder who thought up these foods.  I watched something on TV the other night and this American guy wanders the world eating all sorts of "native" things, regional things, aboriginal things, some things that shouldn't be considered food as far as I'm concerned.  I might have tried the fried worm things down in Mexico that he ate because he said it was like eating small bits of fried pork. But the mesquito egg thing he ate...he said it was very spongy.  Eeewwwww. He seemed very enthused about it all, but I am thinking he was really trying hard to be happy about eating that!  He rather liked the ant egg crepe thing, too.  It just never occured to me that these things are edible.  Rather eat a jar of Vegemite!!

Sue in Vancouver

Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side

Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #1947 on: August 27, 2007, 07:33:42 pm »
TIM TAMS FOR LAZ
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

Captain Deb

• Captain Deb
« Reply #1948 on: August 28, 2007, 12:34:43 pm »
OK new contest--the grossest or strangest thing you've ever eaten. Lessee I've eated alligator in Mississippi and rattlesnake chili on St Thomas made by a boatload of crazed Texans from St Croix during a Chili cook-off. It won fist prize and was really good.

Anyone?  Anyone? 

Capt Deb 8)

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #1949 on: August 28, 2007, 12:49:46 pm »
Yeah, I've had the alligator, when we were in Miami.  No it doesn't taste like chicken! With the seasoning and all it tasted like pork chops to me.  I've had frogs legs and that tasted like chicken. At the Roadhouse Grill I had the Emu.  Other than escargo and oyster shooters (oh yeah, the vegemite)...that's about it. That guy on TV would not think that was very adventurous eating!

Sue in Vancouver
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side

Poet Lorry-ate of Goode