Author Topic: New here  (Read 2543 times)

cjtender

• My blog
New here
« on: April 15, 2009, 09:49:05 am »
Hello everyone...My name is Patty and I have been lurking on this site for a while.....

About me:  Progressive right sided hearing loss over the years but still have some left.....On March 6th 2009 woke up with double vision.  Had CT scan and 2 by 3cm (plump grape) sized AN found.   March 13th I saw Dr. Selesnick at Weill Cornell in NYC.  April 2nd I saw Dr. Stieg at same place and surgery was set for the 14th.  Received phone call on April 8th that Stieg could not get my insurance to agree to pay so we had to cancel surgery and reschedule at Sloan Kettering with Dr. Gutin/Selesnick.  Pre-op with Dr. Guitin scheduled for the 20th in NYC and surgery for the 28th. THey are planning on retrosigmoid approach.  Since a large part of tumor is compressing my brain stem I am not a canidate for anything else but surgery at this time.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 09:50:45 am by cjtender »
Patty  34 , RN ,  Dx with 3x2cm (plum grape) size AN on 3/6/2009 and ALL  removed-- retosigmoid on 4/28/09 with Selesnick/Gutin at SLoan Kettering in NYC

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: New here
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 11:11:57 am »
Hi, Patty and welcome  ;D

glad you decided to stop lurking and officially join us.  Not that I don't like lurkers, it's just easier to help you when you come forward.

I had no idea that you could have double vision prior to AN treatment.  I had it, but it was post op - and thankfully, short-term.

I'm not near NYC - but I had retrosigmoid and had great results.  I hope you do also.

Sorry to hear about the surgery scheduling/insurance problems, but glad to hear they have been worked out.

Good luck on the 28th!  Let us know how it all works out.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

cjtender

• My blog
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 11:28:35 am »
Thanks Jan---I guess they are saying that my tumor is causing a mass effect in my brain----it is slightly pushing everything forward....my vision has returned to baseline now
Patty  34 , RN ,  Dx with 3x2cm (plum grape) size AN on 3/6/2009 and ALL  removed-- retosigmoid on 4/28/09 with Selesnick/Gutin at SLoan Kettering in NYC

cindyj

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 11:38:25 am »
Hi, Patty!  Glad you decided to join us!  You really have had a whirlwind of activity - know it is a lot to take in and prepare yourself for.  Best wishes to you on the 28th - hope you'll let us know if you have any questions prior to your surgery, and that you'll update us after to let us know how you're doing.

Take care,

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Kaybo

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 12:14:00 pm »
Hi Patty & Welcome to our little group - I know you probably didn't want to join, but it is a good one, none-the-less!!  Ask anything - we are here to help you!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 12:43:57 pm »
Hi Patty - and welcome. Thanks for choosing to post.  I trust your lurking assured you that we're an active supportive group and won't bite.  ;)

Your AN is large but I 'm sure it can be excised successfully.  I underwent the retrosigmoid procedure almost 3 years ago (followed by FSR) to remove a 4.5 cm AN.  The surgery was successful with basically no complications.  The radiation treatments were painless and also effective, as my signature shows.  I trust you'll have a similar outcome.  :)  Please feel free to ask questions or just vent whenever you wish, that's what we do here.

I've taken the liberty of adding your surgery date (and the information you provided) on our 'AN Treatment Calendar'  http://my.calendars.net/an_treatments/d28/04/2009?authenticate=&display=M&style=B   

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 12:52:38 pm »
Welcome Patty! 

Glad you have come forward and joined us.  Pretty much anything you have or will encounter with your AN has been dealt with by someone else here on the forum.  Some of us...like me...have had other types of brain tumors but similar surgeries and experiences.  You are already over the hardest part which is deciding what kind of treatment.  Now you just have to do the next hardest thing-waiting for treatment!  Let us know how we can help.  I also had a retrosigmoid for my meningioma.

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

cjtender

• My blog
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 03:26:27 pm »
Thanks everyone....I actually signed up a while ago but kept getting the same screen over and over again stating that I didnt...and then all of a sudden it worked this time

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 05:26:55 pm »
Welcome out of the shadows!  We're glad you decided to be public with your AN status..  Like you, I had a 3cm tumor (sorry, don't know 2-dimensional size or even 3).  Also, like you, I had the retrosigmoid surgery.  I'm just about 1 year before you and it's any consolation or puts your mind at somewhat ease over it, I'm doing marvelously now.  I'm basically back to normal with very little facial weakness left (but still getting better every day).  I've returned to a pretty busy and active life with 2 small kids, camping 5 times since surgery (2+ to go this season!), etc..  I've ridden a bike and a horse..  So, things can get back to "normal" for you.. it just may take a little bit of time to get there.

Good luck on your surgery..

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

tenai98

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2009, 05:37:45 pm »
Welcome PATTY
I had my surgery a week ago...You have found many friends in here...They are 'our'AN family...I had a small tumor but WANTED IT OUT so out it came. I am only suffering from some left sided weakness, no paralysis, no eye problem, no taste problems but some liquids taste like soap.

Reach out in here. We are all here for you...
JO ;D
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

nteeman

• Back to Mono
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2009, 05:47:29 pm »
Hi Patty,

I am in the NYC area too and had my surgery at Mt. Sinai on Jan 27, 2009, so I am not so far before you. I am doing fine and other than losing what remained of my hearing in my AN ear I did not have any major complications.  I hope all goes well for you and, of course, feel free to ask for any info or advice we can provide for you. My tumor was 2.5Cm and surgery was advised for me as well. I am happy with the outcome and glad to have that 'thing' out of my head.

Good luck to you and keep us informed.

Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
surgery performed on 1/27/2009 Mt. Sinai Hospital, NYC
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha
9:30am thru 5:50pm
http://www.facebook.com/neal.teeman

28Lisa

• pre opt
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2009, 07:51:19 am »
Hi Patty

Glad you came into the light...

Sending you best wishes on your upcoming surgery...

btw had my surgery @ the same hospital and your original dr(s) were mine as well.

Lisa

A.N. 4+cm, 9/11/07 @ NY Presbyterian Hospital, Dr. Phillip Stieg
post opt - partial facial paralysis on left side, total hear loss on left side, speech altered, loss of taste, smell,balance, loss of sensation on right side from shoulder down, low motor skills, eye weight 11/07

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2009, 09:34:05 am »
Hi Patty - and welcome. Thanks for choosing to post.  I trust your lurking assured you that we're an active supportive group and won't bite.  ;)

only on occassion :)

Hi Patty and welcome. It's so great to see so many that have been lurking for a while, come out of the shadows and say hello.  I'm sorry you now walk along side of us... but, on the flip side... I am so glad you walk along side of us :)   There is a wealth of information here.... experiences, knowledge... and the occassional Pirate talk ....so if you need help maneuvering your way around here, just PM (email) a moderator or site user... we're here to help.

Again, welcome!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

anissa

• My Journey
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2009, 11:57:01 am »
Hi Patty and welcome!  I'm glad to hear that your ins. problems have been resolved and you are moving toward your surgery date.  Please ask any and all questions, the more you know the more prepared you'll be.  Best wishes to you!
Anissa
2/11/09 Diagnosed AN 2.1cm
2/26/09 Consult with Dr. Clough Shelton, U of Utah
4/1/09 Translab with Shelton & Couldwell
--little teensy bit of tumor or cells on facial nerve, stuck! No facial weakness, Rt side SSD
4/8/10 1-yr MRI, "Looks great!"

catlover

• 13 days post-op. I still have my smile!
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2009, 03:18:49 pm »
Hi Patty and welcome to the forum! Sorry, that you have an AN, but glad you found the forum. Here are so great people who really care for others and do their very best to help and support. I see you've already heard from some of the most active and experienced folks around here.  :) I can't tell how much they've already helped and supported me. I don't know what I would have done without them. Probably gone crazy!  :D

I hope everything works out fine and good luck the 28th! I'll be thinking of you.

Best Wishes from Helene in Sweden  :)
AN found in February, 2006, size 0,8 cm
Surgery 20th May, 2009, retrosigmoid approach
SSD and balance issues
Forever grateful to Dr Siesjo and Dr Kahlon, University Hospital of Lund, Sweden
Two AN:s found 1st March, 2016
Waiting for GK