Author Topic: Symptoms of AN before diagnosis  (Read 2805 times)

cas

Symptoms of AN before diagnosis
« on: February 27, 2006, 08:03:50 am »
Hi, 
My name is CAS.  I am from Atlanta Georgia and having horrible headaches on the left side along with an earache with some occasional tinnitis.  I swim everyday and just use drops for swimmer's ear.  However, the headaches continue now for the past six weeks.  I went to an ENT and they said my ear was fine.  My doctor tells me that I have Migraines or a cluster headache and because I am 44, my hormones might be changing.  I still can't get over this low grade headache and fullness of the ear.  I sleep on my left side because the pressure seems to make it feel better then I get a tingly face and neck like when you arm or leg fall asleep from sitting too long.  Yesterday, I was on WEB MD, and Mayo Clinic.com researching these headaches.  Somehow this word Acoustic Neuroma popped up?  I did not click on anything it was wierd.  The more I read the more it seemed I have the same symptoms.  I am now starting to get a stiff neck on the left side and getting somewhat depressed on the length of the headaches.  They start around 10:00 am even though I know it's there all night and progress during the day.  Asprin, Tylenol, and Motrin do not seem to help, they just help me relax. 

Question:  Did anyone out there start with headaches and earaches even though your ENT found nothing wrong?  I have no vertigo or vision problems.  I do have some aura with wavy lines and a bright light before the headaches get worse.  I am also sensitive to bright light and noise.  Wearing sunglasses all day.  I am calling my doctor today for another appointment.  I need to be more assertive.  I know something is wrong in my ear and head - I just want to know.
I am able to take care of my family and work, just that nagging head and earache.

CAS
cas

daylilly

Re: Symptoms of AN before diagnosis
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2006, 08:53:22 am »
Hi Cas,
I live in Atlanta, Georgia. One of my first symptoms was a fullness in my ear and then hearing loss, no headaches. The first ENT
I went to was associated with Kennestone hospital. He ordered an MRI which is how the AN was discovered. He refered me
to Dr. Mattox at Emory University. If you need a second opinion, I would definately recommend Dr. Mattox.
3 cm AN
translab July 2005, Emory, Dr. Mattox, Dr. Olson
gold weight, Dr. Wojno
left-sided deaf
left-sided facial paralysis

Kilroy1976

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2006, 09:27:07 am »
Cas:

Most of the symptoms you describe are consistent with an acoustic neuroma, but they could also be caused by a migraine or any number of other things. You'll need an MRI to know for certain if you have an AN. Your doctor should have no hesitiations about sending you to get one. Best of luck; here's hoping you don't have to come back to this website!
1.8cm AN
Linac
December 13, 2005
Shands Hospital--University of Florida

Battyp

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2006, 09:41:51 am »
CAS,
  Definitely be more assertive!  I was dumb enough to listen to my second opinion doctor and as a result I've lost all hearing in my an side and had to have immediate surgery due to brain stem involvement.  I was told I had a viral ear infection and it would go away.  I too had pressure in my head and could not sleep on my left side which was my an side.  I suffered from horrible headaches which were blamed on a previous car accident.   
Be proactive.  You know your body better than they do.  Make sure you get an mri w/ contrast!

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2006, 10:48:52 am »

as you can see we are all a little different!! ... I had no headaches .. but I did have fullness in the ear,balance issues, facial numbness .. and a stiff neck ..which at the time I blamed on falling asleep on the couch! .. but I have not had a stiff neck now in 7 months since my surgery !

push for an MRI .. that will show if you have AN ...

4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

matti

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2006, 03:49:31 pm »
CAS,

I never had headaches, but did have fullness in my ear and pain in my neck, also numbess and tingling on that side of my face. My balance was off as well. I was deemed the klutz of the family.

I was misdiagnosed for almost 1 1/2 years, but I kept being persistent because I had a gut feeling that something was not right. I was told that I had everything from Lyme disease, Lupus, MS, and of course my all time favorite, I was told I was a hypochondriac and needed to see a therapist. My AN surgery was almost 8 years ago and life is good!

Take care,
matti
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2006, 04:25:41 pm »
Push for the MRI, my major symptom was headaches and insomnia and was diagnosed as "psycho" for a number of year until I started to loose my feeling in my face, looking back I am aware of other thing too but at the time I was not, I was only aware of the headaches and insomnia. Push for the MRI before it's too late to save things and/or put your mind to rest if it's found that you don't have a tumor (thinking you could will certainly increase your anxiety and headaches!). Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

SKT

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2006, 08:21:39 am »
I agree with everyone's comments. Everyone's symptoms for AN vary.  Yours are certainly consistent with AN but could just as well be something less serious.  Don't hesitate any longer. Insist on a referall for an MRI scan so that you can rule out an AN.  I will pray that you have nothing more than an ear infection.  Even if is AN, you will deal with it and move forward.  It's the not knowing which is the worst thing.