Author Topic: GARZAP (Peggy's) Update  (Read 6925 times)

NL

GARZAP (Peggy's) Update
« on: April 18, 2009, 03:52:26 pm »
Hi Everyone,

I spoke to Peggy (GARZAP) last night and she sounded great - very happy and very relieved.  She had her retro surgery on Tuesday morning at House (Drs. Friedman and Schwartz) and was released from the hospital on Friday evening.  She flew in from Michigan for her surgery, so she'll be staying a week or so at Seton Hall. Post-op she had no facial issues, minimal dizziness, and some headache that was easily relieved with the pain meds.

The best news of all is that they were able to completely save her hearing - she feels very blessed.

She's looking forward to getting on-line again soon, but in the meantime asked that I pass on her good news and update.

Here's a pic we took on the day before her surgery when she met with our little "LA Welcoming Committee."

Lainie, Nancy, Peggy, and David, 4-12-09

Way to go Peggy - looking forward to seeing you here again soon!

Nancy

1.6 cm left AN diagnosed Oct. '07
1.9 cm on 2nd MRI, May '08
Retrosigmoid surgery at House Clinic/St. Vincent's on 8/6/08
(no post-op dizziness, nausea, facial or balance issues)
Thankful for a fantastic team of doctors - Dr. Rick Friedman, Dr. Marc Schwartz, & Dr. Michael Stefan

Kaybo

Re: GARZAP (Peggy's) Update
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 04:00:50 pm »
Great News!  And as always...the welcoming committee looks AWESOME!!  So wenderful that you all take time to do this!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 04:16:55 pm »
Well, that outcome wins the prize, for sure.
Amazing!  Great job, GARZAP!
Nancy
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 04:29:16 pm »
Nancy ~

Wow!  Great news about a great outcome.  Thanks for the update!  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

sgerrard

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 04:40:49 pm »
I agree, the whole committee looks great. I'm thinking I need to get going on some hats...

Congratulations to Peggy, it sounds like a home run.

Steve - the guy in the blue hat.  ;D
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Lilan

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009, 04:41:04 pm »
YAY! Have been checking in for word on GP and am tickled to hear this good news.

:D

Facial nerve hemangioma. Probable dx 7/2008 confirmed 4/2009. Combo middle fossa and translab to remove the blood vessel malformation and snip ruined hearing and balance nerves by Drs. House and Brackmann @ House 6/2009. Doing great!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2009, 05:00:51 pm »
Nancy -

thanks for the wonderful update on Peggy.  Hearing!  Yea!!!  ;D

Thanks for the great picture of the LA Gang and Peggy, also.  As others have said, you all look awesome.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

cindyj

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2009, 05:13:31 pm »
Thanks, Nancy!  That's great to hear!  Did she get to the Farmer's Market, I wonder?

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

anissa

• My Journey
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2009, 11:11:55 pm »
What great news for Peggy!!  Welcome to postie-land and you arrive with your hearing you lucky lady!

The welcoming committee looks great!  It is such a treat to meet other posties, what a blessing!
Anissa
2/11/09 Diagnosed AN 2.1cm
2/26/09 Consult with Dr. Clough Shelton, U of Utah
4/1/09 Translab with Shelton & Couldwell
--little teensy bit of tumor or cells on facial nerve, stuck! No facial weakness, Rt side SSD
4/8/10 1-yr MRI, "Looks great!"

Rich56

• a caregiver's 2-cents
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2009, 09:48:14 pm »
Great looking group :)  Thank you for the update Nancy.

Congrats to Peggy, that's great that they saved her hearing.

Glad she's doing so well, all our best,

Rich & Scarlett

SML (Scarlett's) other half, she had - 1.5 cm x 2.5 cm Cystic AN - Right side
Retrosigmoid on 3/18/09 at MGH in Boston, MA. Dr. Barker & Dr. Lee of MGH/MEEI
no facial issues, SSD right side, balance issues to work on.
The AN Calendar is here: http://www.my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

NL

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2009, 01:53:04 pm »
Hi All,

I spoke to Peggy last night - she said she's still doing well and has been relaxing at Seton Hall since her release from the hospital last Friday.

Today she'll go in for her follow-up, and will see if she can get the OK to leave town a little earlier than originally planned. If not, she's still thinking about taking in a few LA sights before going back to Michigan. Guess she's feeling pretty good! (I stayed fairly close to home at 7 days post-op for fear of getting a sudden nap attack out in public. :D )

So Cindy, maybe she'll make it to the Farmers Market and The Grove after all.  ;)

Either way, I'm sure she'll be back on-line soon.  ;D

Nancy

1.6 cm left AN diagnosed Oct. '07
1.9 cm on 2nd MRI, May '08
Retrosigmoid surgery at House Clinic/St. Vincent's on 8/6/08
(no post-op dizziness, nausea, facial or balance issues)
Thankful for a fantastic team of doctors - Dr. Rick Friedman, Dr. Marc Schwartz, & Dr. Michael Stefan

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2009, 02:26:27 am »
Great news...nice pic....hope for a speedy recovery.
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

GARZAP

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2009, 11:24:05 am »
Hi everyone!!!

We had tried to get an earlier flight home but found out it would have cost us another $1000 or so we gave up on the idea and decided to stay hoping that I would feel well enough to at least do something a few days before we came home...we were bored!! 

My husband happened to mention this to a guy from Minnesota who he met at Seton Hall kitchen who was there with his Mom for AN issues.   He happened to work for Northwest Airline and said "Let me see what I can do"....He ended up getting us a flight out for no additional cost!!!  So, we are home, but still whirling from Dr. appts all day Wednesday, then going to the airport Wed afternoon, and flying out of LA at 5:50pm.  I did rest, everywhere I could find a couch between appts, while waiting for the cab, in the airport, on the plane.  I made it all without a wheelchair too.  Now am resting at home in my wonderful recliner.  So, we didn't see any of LA, but oh well, another time.

Thanks everyone for all your well-wishes and prayers, to Nancy, Laine and Dave my welcoming committee, all of you were wonderful, encouraging and very much appreciated.  After thinking about our stay at Seton Hall (which was wonderful) there is one thing that you might offer to do (I didn't think to ask).   Ask if you can pick up some staple type groceries for people without cars, like eggs bread juice soup,  etc.   That would have saved us a lot of money and there are no grocery stores within safe walking distance near the hospital.  Just a suggestion.

As for "my story"   I plan to write up something somewhere (my profile?)  I don't know where to put it, but I'll figure it out. I want new people to hear about my very  sucessfull surgery.

To Nancy, thanks again so much, I really appreciated your care and concern..  Oh, and we'll be "playing it forward" for the the good deeds of the Man from Minnesota from Northwest.  Bless you all
Peggy
Less than 2 cm L AN discovered 02/09 on MRI due to noticed hearing loss.  No other symptoms.  Surgery 4/14/09 Drs. Friedman, Swartz, and Stefan of House Ear Clinic, LA,CA....my heros.  Retro surgery, no loss of hearing or facial nerve or any complications so far (ten days post op)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2009, 11:43:46 am »
Welcome back, postie.

Good to hear from you  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

LADavid

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2009, 12:06:22 pm »
Hey Peggy
Sorry we missed you before you headed home, but great news that you were able to work it out with the flight.   I am glad that we all had a chance together while you were here and that surgery went so well.  Enjoy home -- especially your recliner and get plenty of rest.  Please keep us posted on your recovery.
My best
David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments