Author Topic: my 1 year since GK results  (Read 1611 times)

madison

my 1 year since GK results
« on: April 22, 2009, 02:58:10 pm »
hello everyone!
first i would like to thank all of you who responded to my posts and everyone else too because reading them all is very helpful too :)
i went to univ. of penn yesterday and my docs said the tumor shows necrosis and has swollen slightly. they said this is common at this stage of the game.i will have another mri in 6 months to see how it's doing. my hearing remains the same-50%  loss on the AN side. i have no idea how i got ANY of the words correct during the audiology test because i guessed every single one!
well, now i'm praying the tumor will shrink. the neurosurgeon said he saw a part inside the tumor that MAY show a start of collapse, but nothing definite. i am an xray tech and could not see what he was talking about even when he pointed it out to me, but then again, i don't do mri. i will be happy with what he said though and hope for the best. i am glad to be "free" for the summer at least and feel somewhat relieved.
thanks again and i will still be on the forum.i'm kind of addicted in a way because i feel like now i have all these people who really understand and i learn so much too.
talk soon!
Pennsylvania:female: 40 yrs. old
R ACOUSTIC NEUROMA;GAMMA KNIFE FEB. 2008
multiple meningiomas
scheduled for translab @ Thomas Jefferson in Phila. Pa. on 6/18/2012

Sefra22

Re: my 1 year since GK results
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 05:04:05 pm »
Sounds like good news overall :)  Maybe the swelling can account for some of the symptoms you have been having lately?

Before my hearing got really bad, I would guess, too, and was surprised how well I did on the word recognition tests. Now, I still guess, but I am way off! It's even worse it real life situations. Funny sometimes.

This is a great forum, isn't it? It was from the information I read here that learned about and chose GK. It is also my main source of info for the BAHA. (if you want to read about my experience today, it is  in the "Hearing Issues" section.)

I am so happy to hear you are relieved and "free".

Hang in there,
Lisa

Lisa from Portland, Maine age 46
Diagnosed June 2006
15mm X 17mm AN right side 80% hearing loss
GK March 14,2007 Dr. Noren, Providence RI
1 Year follow-up MRI shows "slight shrinkage".
2 Year follow-up MRI shows "No Change".
3 Year follow-up MRI "stable".
BAHA surgery 4-22-09 BP100 Sept. 2009

Tumbleweed

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 09:10:23 pm »
The word-recognition score is not as important as the speech threshold. You (and I) might have guessed the words correctly simply because the audiologist turned up the sound so loud in that particular headphone that you could hear the words better than in real life. My word-recognition score has stayed about the same, but my speech threshold has risen (i.e., the score has worsened) significantly over time. Dr. Chang (Stanford-based neurosurgeon) hipped me to the fact that it's the threshold that matters most.

Best wishes,
Tumbleweed
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

mk

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 12:35:49 pm »

Speech threshold is obviously important, but my ENT always makes sure to point out that if word-recognition remains good,  conventional hearing aids can be used even if the speech threshold deteriorates eventually. If word recognition is gone however, then all the hearing aid does is amplify the noise, so it is usesless.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 12:56:13 pm »

If word recognition is gone however, then all the hearing aid does is amplify the noise, so it is usesless.

Marianna

You're probably right about that, but being "just about SSD", I was thinking that if I could amplify the noise enough to get some directionality, that would be good enough for me.  I know my word recognition is zero, but would love to be able to tell where the voices, noises, whatever are coming from.

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 02:10:38 pm »
Madison ~

Thanks for the cheery update!  We always enjoy seeing good news.  :)  Your hearing retention is also encouraging. 

AN swelling following radiation is relatively normal.  I underwent both surgery and FSR and even now, almost 3 years later, I'm sensing some indications of swelling on my 'AN side'.  No real problems, just a heightened sensitivity of my minor, longstanding symptoms (small numb spot on tongue, occasional dry eye) that suggest some residual tumor swelling, as my last MRI showed definite tumor necrosis.   We'll see what my next MRI (scheduled for later this year) tells me.  I fully expect to see more necrosis.  In your case, you have nothing to be concerned about.

Incidentally, Madison, if these forums are an addiction, many of us are 'hooked'.  That being the case, I don't want a cure.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 02:20:32 pm »
Incidentally, Madison, if these forums are an addiction, many of us are 'hooked'. 
speak for yourself... ok... me too.. .guilty!

Hey madison,

congrats to you! Always great to hear this kind of news.  it is always appreciated when folks such as yourself provide this post-treatment updates, so those newly diagnosed can read these things so they can add it to their research.  Congrats, congrats and continued wellness (and good news!) to you!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Tumbleweed

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 01:42:16 am »

Speech threshold is obviously important, but my ENT always makes sure to point out that if word-recognition remains good,  conventional hearing aids can be used even if the speech threshold deteriorates eventually. If word recognition is gone however, then all the hearing aid does is amplify the noise, so it is usesless.

Marianna

Good point, Marianna. Thanks for adding your knowledge to the discussion!

Best wishes,
TW
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08