Author Topic: How far past surgery can one experience facial weakness?  (Read 3846 times)

anissa

• My Journey
How far past surgery can one experience facial weakness?
« on: April 23, 2009, 02:13:18 pm »
I noticed this morning, and I really hadn't looked that close before so I'm sure it didn't happen last night, that my AN side eye is open a little wider than my other and the corner of my mouth is different than the "good" side.  It also (AN side corner of my mouth) feels weird like I'm leaving the dentist after a filling.  I have all the feeling in my face it just feels different.  I just have to wonder if something is going to happen now after 3 weeks?  I don't think a person would notice unless I told them so its slight.
Anissa
2/11/09 Diagnosed AN 2.1cm
2/26/09 Consult with Dr. Clough Shelton, U of Utah
4/1/09 Translab with Shelton & Couldwell
--little teensy bit of tumor or cells on facial nerve, stuck! No facial weakness, Rt side SSD
4/8/10 1-yr MRI, "Looks great!"

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: How far past surgery can one experience facial weakness?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 03:25:52 pm »
Anissa ~

I can't answer your question to a medical certainty but I doubt there is a set timframe for experiencing facial weakness, albeit slight.  I'm almost 3 years out of surgery and can feel a slight difference from my AN side to my 'good' side.  Nothing noticeable.  I believe we tend to be somewhat hyper-aware of these things, post-op - but I could be wrong.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Lilan

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 03:47:00 pm »
Maybe as you're going off meds you're having a little rebound swelling? You are still near enough to surgery that I would think it could be a post-surgical reason along those lines.
Facial nerve hemangioma. Probable dx 7/2008 confirmed 4/2009. Combo middle fossa and translab to remove the blood vessel malformation and snip ruined hearing and balance nerves by Drs. House and Brackmann @ House 6/2009. Doing great!

Keri

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 08:56:07 pm »
Hi Anissa,
Hope you're recovery is going well... I don't know if you're still posting updates regularly, and I sometimes don't know where to look for people.
I think if facial weakness was going to become a big issue for you and you were going to digress, it would have happened by now; probably a day or so post op.
It seems that those who have problems (myself included) get it really fast post op.
Are you having a follow up soon?
Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Dan

• Dan in Germany
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 12:15:11 am »
anissa,
I can't tell you how long after surgery you can start haveing facial weakness, but I can tell you that I had no facial weakness the first 7 days after surgery and then within 48 hrs I had no movement.  Whats good though is the nerve wasn't damaged during or before surgery and it has alot better chance for full recovery.  I had about 80% recovery within 2 months and over the last 2 years I would say I have over 90% recovery.
I agree with Lilan, if I were you I would ask the Dr and maybe he will give you meds for post surgery swelling.  My Dr gave me something, but I don't remember what it was as soon as I noticed the first signs of weakness.   

Dan in Germany
US Army Retired, age 51,  residing and working in Germany.
Retrosigmoid 21 Sept 07 left side 1.76cm AN, Prof. Mann, Uniklinik Mainz Germany

joebloggs

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 12:49:58 am »
Hi Anissa,

Don't know how long after surgery it can take for things to crop up but I can tell you my AN eye suddenly stopped closing 12 days after surgery.  Docs put it down to post-op swelling around the nerve.  Following 6 days of steroids it's all back to regular.

Hope that helps?

JB x
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

Keri

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 08:17:12 am »
wow, glad others chimed in - i didn't know things cropped up that many days post op.
anyway, anissa, i wish you the best on all of this.
keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 08:29:47 am »
I all but begged for more steroids at my suture removal, not because of the buzz (I know what you're thinking, Steve.) but rather because my biggest fear is extended or recurrent swelling in that ol' cranium o' mine.  I've already got Brackmann III facial weakness, and when they saw me 12 days post-op, they said I was worse than I had been in the hospital.  They drew a graphing curve in the air of common decline rates in facial nerve function post-op.  So, I am hyper-aware.
Good luck, Anissa.  Do you go back six weeks post-op?
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

Kim Zingale

• My AN Blog
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 09:37:10 am »
The same thing happened to me. After my course of steroids ended on Feb. 21, I experienced increased facial weakness that popped up about a week later (I know for sure it was there on March 3). Then it just went back to normal maybe a week after it started? I didn't really notice it until I realized, hey my face feels fine again. Anissa - it was very similar to what you're describing - my smile became a tad asymmetrical and that whole side just felt a little less animated than usual. I wouldn't worry too much about it unless it gets a lot worse.

Kim
Retrosigmoid surgery Feb. 9, 2009 at Johns Hopkins with Drs. Tamargo and Carey.
http://adventureswithmanny.blogspot.com

anissa

• My Journey
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2009, 10:45:34 am »
Thank you all so much for your replies!  I think I am hyper-aware.  I have a follow-up appointment on May 7th (5 weeks) so we'll see how things look then.  I tell you, I take nothing for granted now, especially regarding health. 
Anissa
2/11/09 Diagnosed AN 2.1cm
2/26/09 Consult with Dr. Clough Shelton, U of Utah
4/1/09 Translab with Shelton & Couldwell
--little teensy bit of tumor or cells on facial nerve, stuck! No facial weakness, Rt side SSD
4/8/10 1-yr MRI, "Looks great!"

Cheryl R

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2009, 11:22:53 am »
I would think if anything  big was going to happen, then it would have by now.     I don't think it is unusal for small things to be off for a time.       I feel like I have had some odd goings on at times.                Even my left side which has been the latest surgery a year ago and no facial paralysis  can have some odd twitches and have had some odd feelings   that made me wonder why on that side.   Nothing big and I know my MRI is ok.                                       Just another thing to keep watch on.
                                                                   Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care