Author Topic: CBS’ “The Doctorsâ€? aired a segment on the CyberKnife System  (Read 2899 times)

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
CBS’ “The Doctors� aired a segment on the CyberKnife System today. You can watch a snippet of the segment at:

http://www.thedoctorstv.com/main/procedure_list/218.

The show also has a message boards for their online community to comment about each show.  The message board can be found here:

http://www.thedoctorstv.com/forums/148-April-23-2-9-Must-Know-Medical-Advances.

For those interested in how the CK machine looks and works (in action) for a brain tumor patient (non-AN), this link will show you how it works.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
I watched and thought it was very interesting.  They would have to knock me out to put that mask on me !! That show addresses a lot of things that you want to know about but are too embarrassed to ask!!  Thanks for the links, Phyl!!
Hugs,
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

ppearl214

• Administrator
Hello, my pug-lovin friend!   :-*

Actually, the mask isn't that bad.... for me, a closed MRI is more difficult than the mask.  My eyelashes kept getting stuck in the mask when I opened my eyes.  Was also hoping the mask gave me the long-overdue nosejob I need! :)  Although the segment they showed was short, it does give a great view of how the robot moves around and such.  To see it in action is why I posted it here, as many have not seen it in action, esp. for head tumors.....

xo
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Phyl ~

Thanks for the heads-up and link.  I watched the video and found it interesting.  I had FSR, not CK.  Still, I had to wear the molded face mask for every session (26).  It's very confining - but necessary, much like the claustrophobia-inducing MRI faceplate.  Folks might be surprised at what you can do when it's important enough - like killing your AN.   

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

ppearl214

• Administrator
Folks might be surprised at what you can do when it's important enough - like killing your AN.   

AYE-men! :)

cbp

Phyl,
Thanks for posting this. A lot of people have asked me what this treatment was and now I can just say, watch this...
For me, the mask wasn't nearly as tight and uncomfortable as I thought it would be and I'm quite claustrophobic.

Camille
Diagnosed Nov. 1, 08
1.6x1.5cm Right AN, secondary Right AN 4mm
Cyberknife at Barrows Neurological Institute, Phoenix, AZ
Feb. 24,25,26
Now playing the waiting game.

suboo73

Phyl,  Thank you for posting this link!  Since i work full-time, too, i missed it.
As one considering CK strongly, it gave me a good picture of what i might be getting myself into in the future.
Seeing the equipment/procedure should help relieve some (!) of the stress.   ;D

Sincerely,
Sue

suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W