Author Topic: Dumb Accident  (Read 4391 times)

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
Dumb Accident
« on: April 24, 2009, 12:36:35 pm »
You ever have an accident and later think it shouldn't have happened ??? I have been out of commission
because I almost had my left hand piratized ( best word I could think of ) ...

We had storms that damaged trees behind the house ... we had 7 to take down...on the last one I was rigging
pulley and ropes that were run from tree down to me and back up past tree to the tractor ... husband was picking
up a few limbs that were left on ground from the last one we took down... he tossed a few on the trailer , hopped
on tractor and took off forgetting to watch for the signal from me to go ... the tractor was idling before he took off ...
had he had it off and had to start it it would have given me enough time to pull hands back...

long story short ...one broke pinky that is minus it's print and nail will come off soon , ring finger tip was cut around
just below nail bed and was super glued in place ...flexer tendons in both stretched and fingers are stiff and doctor says
may need surgery to loosen them up (but as long as I can use them there will be no surgery) ...pulled tendons up forearm
and it is still black and blue...my right arm where they gave me a tetanus shot hurts almost as much 

once shock started wearing off I got to laughing ...people thought I lost it ... but what was going through my head
was that along with my pirate swagger I almost had a hook ...

all that said ... what pisses me off is that it was suggested that due to lack of balance and my reflexes not being what
they once were , that may have played a part and I should not have been rigging lines ... it was a dumb accident that
happened because my husband was in a hurry and had cows to get up and forgot to look for the signal... even he admits
that ... I have enough issues that are surgery related without every little thing (not that this was really little) being
attributed to my diminished functions ( as someone nicely put it )

Hand is sore and I am OK but I am still will sign off

FED UP in TENNESSEE

on a better note ...my husband has been suoer extra nice to me ...  ;D
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

lori67

Re: Dumb Accident
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 01:01:42 pm »
Soundy,

I just never know what to expect from you anymore!  Up on the roof, taking down trees.....sit still, would you??   :D

I hope you're feeling better - sounds like you really did a number on yourself!  But, I know that being able to blame it all on your husband has got to make you feel a little bit better!   :D

By, the way, is there such a thing as a "smart" accident?   ???

Now, sit and put your feet up and stay away from anything that might prove to be harmful!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 03:04:52 pm »
Soundy,

So glad you are okay!!  I don't know what else to say, except, stay away from the trees, the pulleys and climbing!  Wow, you sure have had your share and then some.
Heal, heal, heal............
Many prayers and hugs coming your way,
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 03:06:56 pm »
Soundy ~

I'm so sorry to learn of your accident and the physical injuries you suffered. 

Its long been obvious that you're a trouper and very active person but that kind of drive can also get you in trouble.  Although it was easily your husband's responsibility to wait for your signal it was a bit risky for you to be doing what you were doing.  Still, it really was an accident - totally unintentional on the part of you and hubby.  I admire determination and all, but I think you may have overshot your abilities, as you now seem to realize.  Lesson learned - and I hope and will pray for quick healing, a minimum of discomfort and no permanent damage for your hand. 

Definitely enjoy your husband's attentions but don't ever lose your resolve.  Just don't overstress your capabilities.  After all, you did have brain surgery.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 03:07:32 pm »
Yikes, Soundy  :o

This sounds terrible!!!  But, I'm relieved you're okay.

Boy, the things some people will do to get their husbands to be super nice to them  ;) LOL

Happy healing.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

moe

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 06:06:27 pm »
Oh you poor thing!
Yea, I hope your husband is extra special nice for an extra special length of time.
Yikes is all I can say and I'm glad you are okay.
Sounds horrible actually, and I'm sure the feeling of having some of your pinky finger off is VERY bothersome. Hopefully that skin will grow back?
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

OTO

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 07:34:44 pm »
Can you come to my yard and cut down some bushes???  I hate yard work...  my neighbors all hate me because the weeds from my yard grow into there yard, and the branches from my trees hang over into theirs....     take care... be careful out there....

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 09:33:15 pm »
Hello FED UP in TENNESSEE, :)

Geesh.  Some people will do anything for attention.  Brain surgery, falling out of trees, etc  ;D

I would say you are right, that your balance issues had absolutely nothing to do with this accident.  Still, others are going to worry about you and will fall back on your AN surgery as a way of keeping you away from other harmful activities.  It's human nature I guess.

I'm glad you are doing well, all things considered, and hope you can get back into the trees soon :).

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2009, 03:11:36 am »
Wide awake in Tennessee now ... :D

gonna do some back reading and see what I missed while not checking in ...
nerve regeneration to fingertips has started and fingers have burned and tingled and
hurt most of the day ... for those of you that had surgery... you remember when your scalp nerves were
reattaching and firing and tingling ...this is similar and doctor said today it is a good thing whether it feels
good or not  :-\

my ex husband and I owned tree surgery business for 15 years and I rig lines and used a chainsaw all that time
with out getting hurt ... and about 5 years logging before that ...don't think I overshot my abilities on this ... I was
squatting down hooking things up ... my husband tends to be like an ant or bee and is in constant movement ...

and living on a farm is dangerous...luckily til now I have not been injured in the almost 13 years we have been
together... a splinter here and maybe a trip there ... nothing serious ... I just hate people blaming any mishap I
have on the surgery... I know my limits and wouldn't have been doing what I was if I thought I couldn't ... my claws
come out when people get over protective of me and try to hold me back ...

toady we have cows and calves to vaccinate and worm ... I will fill needles , pour on the wormer and operate gates ...
can't herd and cut (which we do on foot) cause I know I can't move fast enough without falling since surgery ... and
1000 + pound animals stepping on or over me might not be a good thing

and EJTampa ...for the record ,  I wasn't in a tree but on ground rigging a pulley to the base of a solid tree to
pull damaged tree over and away from the house ...I doubt I will ever climb up in a tree again ...used to operate 70' boom
truck to trim trees and dead limb them but even thinking about that makes me nauseated ... the chicken house roof was
plenty high for me

and for Lori ... I have never heard of a smart accident ...  :D

life goes on and we do what we have to in what our life is ... and mine is on this farm ... I am still sticking by
my philosophy that I had the tumor it didn't have me ... won't let it lick me ...
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2009, 07:59:14 am »
and EJTampa ...for the record ,  I wasn't in a tree but on ground rigging a pulley to the base of a solid tree to
pull damaged tree over and away from the house ...I doubt I will ever climb up in a tree again ...used to operate 70' boom
truck to trim trees and dead limb them but even thinking about that makes me nauseated ... the chicken house roof was
plenty high for me

Well, I'm really just glad that you came through ok, although you have the finger tingles to deal with.

I remember being on my friends farm for a few days.  They had to move a bull, and told me to stand in a certain spot and start yelling and waving my arms if it started to bolt in my direction.  Naturally, I was a nervous wreck, never having dealt with anything bigger than a puppy before.  Well, needless to say the bull headed straight at me at warp speed.  I started yelling (more like screaming) and waving my arms, but the bull kept coming.  I don't really know when it actually turned away because I was running as fast as I could in the opposite direction :).

For the record, my friend runs a dairy farm up in St. Albans Vermont.  I don't envy farmers one bit.  Up well before the crack of dawn, and not done in the fields until it gets dark.  Hard workers these farmers.

Take care Soundy!

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

Kaybo

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2009, 09:02:35 am »
Soundy~
I just got to this - OH MY GOODNESS!!  I am glad you are basically OK!  I LOVE your attitude "I had the tumore, it didn't have ME!"  GREAT one!!
Hope your healing goes well!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

moe

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2009, 09:06:41 am »
I just hate people blaming any mishap I
have on the surgery... I know my limits and wouldn't have been doing what I was if I thought I couldn't ... my claws
come out when people get over protective of me and try to hold me back ...

That is so true!!!!!!

toady we have cows and calves to vaccinate and worm ... I will fill needles , pour on the wormer and operate gates ...
can't herd and cut (which we do on foot) cause I know I can't move fast enough without falling since surgery ... and
1000 + pound animals stepping on or over me might not be a good thing

I do NOT want your job. Maybe you can get DIRTY JOBS guy to help you out!!! (What's  his name? I'm sure you know!)

life goes on and we do what we have to in what our life is ... and mine is on this farm ... I am still sticking by
my philosophy that I had the tumor it didn't have me ... won't let it lick me ...
AMEN SISTER!!!!
You do what you can do (I think Mother Teresa said that)

Be safe, I actually am amused at the predicaments you get yourself into.
But hey, you survived brain surgery :)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2009, 07:19:52 pm »
I had the tumor it didn't have me

Excellent quote, Soundy.

You should have that printed on t-shirts and sell them at the symposium  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2009, 08:11:57 pm »
Well, that tingly nerve feeling isn't fun, but a good sign that things are coming back to life.

I thought of you today - I went to the Cornbread Festival in South Pittsburgh - if I had known it was right near Chattanooga, we could have had an AN get together over some cornbread!  By the way, it was hot as heck down there today!  :o

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Cheryl R

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2009, 08:56:06 pm »
Iowa was 80's yesterday and 40's today with rain!             I had to dig out shorts and today back to the fleecy pjs as I've been cold  in the evening since the year ago surgery and once it gets below 70.         More AN fun!
                                                       Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care