Author Topic: the venture out in public today with wrap on.  (Read 4359 times)

mikjul1

• Baha blog.
the venture out in public today with wrap on.
« on: April 26, 2009, 10:32:55 am »
Ventured out today for some pet supplies and of course eveybody looking at my head the cashier asked what happen because of the bandgae of course. It is 90 degrees today it sucks when you have a wrap on trying not to sweat so it does not get infected.
:) BORN IN THE GOOD OLD USA :)
SSD on right side since 1974
BAHA surgery on 4/21/09 Dr. Carla Lawson
BP100 turn on date 8/13/09

Sefra22

Re: the venture out in public today with wrap on.
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 12:50:06 pm »
I wore mine to the mall to buy a wrap to cover it. I wore a jacket with a hood which covered most of the bandage. Later I wore the wrap to my Doctor's appt. I thought I looked like a glamorous movie star in my black scarf, but apparently everyone thought I  looked like a nun or a Muslim.

Lisa
Lisa from Portland, Maine age 46
Diagnosed June 2006
15mm X 17mm AN right side 80% hearing loss
GK March 14,2007 Dr. Noren, Providence RI
1 Year follow-up MRI shows "slight shrinkage".
2 Year follow-up MRI shows "No Change".
3 Year follow-up MRI "stable".
BAHA surgery 4-22-09 BP100 Sept. 2009

mikjul1

• Baha blog.
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 12:53:57 pm »
Hey how are feeling
 ;D

Kathy M

• Kathy
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 03:09:56 pm »
Hi!

I remember the first venture out with a white gauze headwrap in mid January.  But let me tell ya....I have struggled with infections since 3 1/2 weeks post op and until 3 weeks ago, I had to wear gauze wraps in public.  Sometimes I would wear colorful scarves over the gauze and sometimes not.  You quickly learn that it doesn't matter one iota what anybody else is thinking.  You are recovering, living your life, and that is fantastic.  Gave me some lessons in humility and priorities, and I'm really grateful for that.

AND....the good thing is that scarves are really "in" now.  Really pretty ones are in all the stores that anything you could wear.  My incision has finally healed so I don't need to cover the wound with gauze, but I'll still be wearing scarves for another 2-3 months until I grow some hair on this spot or the surrounding hair gets long enough to cover it.  Although most folks aren't wrapping these pretty scarves around their heads..maybe I'll start a trend in Ohio's capital city!

Anyway - walk tall and be proud to be out in the world!  Hopefully - your time in headwraps is brief!!!  If not, no worries!!!

Kathy
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

mikjul1

• Baha blog.
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 03:14:58 pm »
Thanks Kathy it might be funny for a guy to wear a head wrap  :o . But the white wrap looks like a cool battle injury. But hey the thought was nice. did you have a Baha surgery or just had AN surgery?

mikjul1

• Baha blog.
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 03:16:26 pm »
OK sorry just read your profile. Glad the infection is gone  ;).

lori67

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 04:10:49 pm »
Mike,

You could have made up some good stories about how you got "wounded"!  Attacked by a bear, wrestling an alligator, bungee jumping mishap...   :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

mikjul1

• Baha blog.
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009, 04:14:44 pm »
That is a good idea  ;D

Kathy M

• Kathy
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2009, 07:32:37 pm »
hahaha...I would love to see you in colorful scarves - silk, no less!!!  Well, I can tell you that whatever you end up wearing in public is good enough for anyone out there.    Doesn't Brett Michaels wear something all over his head?  A bandana or something?  Walk tall whatever you do.

As for the BAHA, I am intriqued, but am not likiing the idea of a 3rd surgery on my poor head.  I'll see how I adust at work with SSD.

and for goodness sakes...whatever your doctors tell you to do or not do to avoid infection, do what they say!!!  There was no avoiding mine - it was coming no matter what I did, but some infections are avoidable!

Best of luck to you...and thanks for the chuckle.  Gave me a great visual!!

Kathy
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

mikjul1

• Baha blog.
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2009, 08:07:16 pm »
Thanks Kathy  ;D glad you laughed

Dan

• Dan in Germany
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2009, 01:09:45 am »
I only had to wear the head wrap a few times out in public but had to wear an eyepatch for months.  The looks from little kids and whispers were cute, (mommy is that a pirate, or what happened to him)

Dan in Germany
US Army Retired, age 51,  residing and working in Germany.
Retrosigmoid 21 Sept 07 left side 1.76cm AN, Prof. Mann, Uniklinik Mainz Germany

Migoi

• Loving life as a hill dweller.
    • Migoi's Mumblings
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2009, 04:22:51 am »
I didn't ever have to go out with a head wrap, but like Dan I did wear an eye patch for a while. Even without an eyepatch I tend to look a bit like a pirate since I have a beard long enough to cover the knot of my tie, when I wear one.

Actually, being thought a pirate by the younger ones was a bit of a relief. Most of the time the whispered comment to Mom are along the lines of "Mommy, is that Santa Claus?" I'm pretty old but definitely not all white yet. Plus, the pressure to act nice once the Santa question is out there is great.

If you are referenced as looking like a pirate..might as well act like one... aaargh, mately, avast in ye thieving of me docking spaces

Speaking of looks... how do I get a a picture avatar up if I don't have a url referenced picture. I can't seem to find a way to upload a picture directly from my computer.

Thanks...

..take care.. tim b
Arkansas Support Group Leader
The wild places are where we began. When they are gone, so are we. - D.B.
AN's only affect the smartest, most interesting people in a population.
On a hill in Onda, AR
http://www.facebook.com/migoi

Migoi

• Migoi's Mumblings
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2009, 04:49:06 am »
Belay my last.. in re: (pirate...errr lawyer speech for never mind) about the avatar thingy... I seem to have figured it out... thanks tinypic.com

..take care... tim b
On a hill in Onda, AR

grega

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2009, 08:46:02 am »
Hi Tim B ......

1st .... you're not old!

2nd .... how do you get the pic into this forum?

Thnks ... Greg
1.5 cm AN retrosig 11/04.
Drs. Henry Brem & Michael Holliday @ Johns Hopkins, Baltimore
SSD right. Tinnitus big-time, only when thinking of it.
BAHA since 7/20/10 ... really helps w/ hearing, specially after programming in subliminal message: "Hey, don't listen to your tinnitus!"

Migoi

• Migoi's Mumblings
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2009, 08:52:10 am »
Greg,

I went to www.tinypic.com, uploaded the picture from my computer, then cut and pasted the resulting url (they give you 4 or so.. use the one that ends in .jpg, I think it was the bottom one) into the appropriate block of my profile update page here. It doesn't require registration or anything... just go there and upload the pic and copy the url.

..take care... tim b
On a hill in Onda, AR