Author Topic: Called to go for GK on Monday ! Any last minute advice ??  (Read 3291 times)

tatianne

Called to go for GK on Monday ! Any last minute advice ??
« on: April 28, 2009, 11:59:57 am »
AN 1.4 cm on last MRI Jan 2009

I just got the call that they will take me on Monday May 4th for my GK treatment....

Im feeling a lot of emotions at once right now...relief, some fear, worry.....

The head mask is still getting me worried a bit, how was this experience for others ?

Tks everyone, I will check in with you once my treatment is done and give a complete detailed update.

God Bless
T
Waith and Watcher
July 2006 8mm
Jan 2007 9.5 mm
Jan 2009 1.4 cmm x 5mm
GK surgery completed on May 4, 2009 in Sherbrook Quebec, hoping and praying this will be the beginning of the end of my AN......

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Called to go for GK on Monday ! Any last minute advice ??
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 12:08:44 pm »
tatianne! After SOOO long, I am so thrilled that its time! Truly.

Just remember... you went with your gut.... you have made your decision. Stand firm with your decision and never 2nd-guess it. You are doing what is best for you and your personal situation.

You KNOW I'm cheering you on! Hang in there!

(take a peek at the "Radiation/Radiosurgery" forum as well... much written in their by others that have had GK, as you already know.... ).

Hang tough! Cheering you on... knock it dead!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

sewnice50

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 01:51:18 pm »
Tatianne,

I know how your feeling, but it will be over before you know it.  I asked for medication to help me relax for the procedure of putting on the frame.  I got an IV and the next thing I knew it was on.  I also had versed (a sedative) throughout the procedure, it helped keep me relaxed.  I really never felt worried. I felt relaxed and positive.  The staff was wonderful. They were attentive, kind, caring and asked me how I was doing every few minutes.  My Doctor asked if I would like to listen to music while I was in the Gamma Knife Suite.  He had his IPod with songs loaded for my requested music.  I don’t want you to worry.  You will be in good hands.  I will be thinking about you.  Let us know how it goes.

Sue

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 02:49:06 pm »
Tatianne ~

I know you'll do fine with your GK treatment.  Many people will be thinking of and praying for you on Monday.  I'll be one of them.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

alwaysthere

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 03:14:45 pm »
Good Luck and God Bless.

Patty
Diagnosed 1/09 1.6cm left side
5/09 2cm
hearing & balance problems
Surgery Date June 25, 2009 St. Mary's Hospital in Rochester, Mn
Surgery went great, can still hear!!!!

"This too shall come to pass and life will go on"

mk

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 06:26:22 pm »
Tatianne,

good luck with your procedure. You will feel relieved to have it done finally. Don't worry about the head frame, it is not such a big deal. It will be over before you know it.

Make sure to take it easy for a few days after the procedure. Keep us updated.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

mk

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 06:32:38 pm »

Oh, and here is something I just thought about. After my procedure I had some minor swelling on the forehead around the pin sites. It lasted for a couple of days. I should have read the instructions they gave me about applying some cool compresses on the site after the procedure.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 06:41:20 pm »
Tatianne -

I don't really have any last minute advice - other than to echo Phyl and say don't second guess your decision.

I'll be one of those people that Jim mentioned who will be thinking of and praying for you on Monday.

Best of luck,

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Vivian B.

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 07:48:05 pm »
Hi Tatianne,

It must be a great relief to finally be treated. You will be fine.  I have done a lot of research myself on the treatment, and it seems that it is a procedure that is very well planned and easy to handle. Good luck. Keep us posted.

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2009, 10:01:25 pm »
Tatianne, the girl with the beautiful name!!  I'll be honest and say that for a few people the headframe was not comfortable.  For me, it wasn't that big of a deal.  But where I had my GK, I got a cream put on me where the pins were going that numbed the skin, then they injected something into the pin sites to further numb the head and then I had my little white pill that put me somewhere on Mars I think, and I remember them tightening this thing onto my head and feeling the pressure and maybe one tiny twinge of pain/uncomfortableness, and then there I was was this thing on my head and I'm on Mars and not worrying much about anything, except that I thought I must look pretty stupid.  And then I barely remember them taking the darn thing off and then, they were attending to the pin sites and I had a little blood on my sweatshirt, and then I was entering the earth's atmosphere then and I thought...shoot I wrecked my sweatshirt, and then came the re-entry back to earth where upon I crashed into bed and slept.  The pin sites were a little sore for awhile - maybe even a month or more.  But not bad. Just an annoyance.  The stuff they put into your head surprisingly stays around for a long time.  Very strange and odd.  You get these random numb spots on your head as the stuff wanders around.  I've never experienced anything like that.  It goes away over time.  It's just a weird, interesting, odd experience to go through.  I know you will be fine.  Rooting for you, kiddo.

Sue in Vancouver, WA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

tatianne

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2009, 11:32:33 am »
I love all you guys and girls, you always make me feel so much better.

Thanks for the prayers I need them, and these are appreciated more then you will ever know.

I do have cream to apply to my for hear before the procedure to numb the area...thank God and they will be giving
me a sedative to keep relaxed..thank God again.

My mom and brother are coming with me to spend the day and keep me occupied during all the waiting time, Im grateful.

I will touch base with everyone as soon as I can after the procedure.

God Bless you all and peace be with you
T
Waith and Watcher
July 2006 8mm
Jan 2007 9.5 mm
Jan 2009 1.4 cmm x 5mm
GK surgery completed on May 4, 2009 in Sherbrook Quebec, hoping and praying this will be the beginning of the end of my AN......

Jackie

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2009, 12:00:40 pm »
Tatianne,

Just want to wish you all the best and before you know it you'll be on your wsy to recovery. Remember, the power of prayer, and there are many going out specially aimed for you! God Bless, and may you have comfort in your decision.
Blessings, Jackie
9mm x 11mm Right Side AN mild Tinnitis, and 60% hearing loss
Diagnosed 02/04/2007
Nov.13th, diagnosed with 5mm Meningioma
9/24/08 diagnosed with Aneurysm
Wait and watch per ENT's advice and researching my options!!! What's next???

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2009, 01:38:10 pm »
Tatianne, I'm going to guess that after you have "the pill", you will either: stare off into space, doze a little bit, or interact, but not remember it. You won't be with your family much at the GK center, I don't think.  My husband was there but he was watching TV.  I tried to get comfortable with that thing on my head.  Then they came for me, and off I went to do all the stuff they do to you.  It was a weird, weird, day.  If they bring their cameras, you might even make it onto Youtube!!  I apparently had a wonderful time chatting with the doctors.  That's what they told me anyway!! 

Let us know how you fare,

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2009, 06:56:51 am »
Hi Tatianne!

Our prayers will be with you as you undergo your GK on Monday.  It will be such a relief for you to finally have this done with!  Keep us updated on your progress after your session!

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2009, 07:30:37 am »
Good luck Tatianne--wishing you the best. 
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.