Author Topic: Taking your mind off things - working meditation.  (Read 5668 times)

kabby

Re: Taking your mind off things - working meditation.
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2009, 09:04:30 am »
I love that your subject line is "working meditation".  Your work is very inspiring, and I could really use some inspiration today.  Wood working is one of the things I would love to learn about--I have always fascinated by trees, living or not.  And find myself meditating using visualization of trees  and various forms of wood.  One of my favorite things to do when I am forced to go to the hardware store with my husband is look at the wood working tools.  I even get a wood working magazine but have never actually done any projects.  My husband is planning on building a guitar so I am hoping when he does that, he can teach me a few carving or cutting techniques.

It sounds like you have found the "art of living"!  Your work is lovely!  Thanks for sharing it with this group--do you have a website of it somewhere?  I am sure you could market those lizard carvings and the rest of your work too if you wanted.

K.
Right side AN 2.8 x 1.8  SSD
Diagnosed 2003-Watch & wait until 3/09
Looks like it's gonna be translab

Keri

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2009, 10:25:50 am »
Bob,
I love your work! When the weather's nice we practically live in our backyard (we back up to parkland) and I would love to have some of your creations. Great idea about the storage for you boards as well.

Now you can compete with Steve... he sends hats, you can send lizards (or geccos?) !

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Rich56

• a caregiver's 2-cents
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2009, 04:44:17 pm »
Hi Bob,

WOW :o :o what amazing work!  You are one talented dude ;D  Absolutely beautiful!

Rich 
SML (Scarlett's) other half, she had - 1.5 cm x 2.5 cm Cystic AN - Right side
Retrosigmoid on 3/18/09 at MGH in Boston, MA. Dr. Barker & Dr. Lee of MGH/MEEI
no facial issues, SSD right side, balance issues to work on.
The AN Calendar is here: http://www.my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2009, 07:39:01 am »
Fabulous work, I'm impressed.  Also, the garden is beautiful.  (I can almost imagine being there.)  Thanks for posting.
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

cin605

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2009, 06:23:29 pm »
Very,very nice.I love the lizards!the chair looks very comfy.
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2009, 10:40:14 pm »
Thank you so much for the very kind words all. Landscaping/gardening was my 1st hobby and I still love the design side of it. I just can't move stone and dirt like I used to though. I'm glad I did all the heavy stuff when I was younger. I look at some of the boulders I moved by hand back then and cringe....I'm lucky i didn't seriously hurt myself.

I actually only started taking woodworking seriously a few years ago. I decided when I saw what they wanted for a garden gate (the moon gate in our garden) that for that kind of money i could buy the wood and the tools to make it and still save some cash. The chair was the 1st piece of fine furniture that i've made. I have thought of building for others but then think that the best way to ruin a hobby you love is to turn it into work. It's also amazing to see all the very talented woodworkers (much more talented than I) that are out there struggling to make a living.

I've considered starting a landscape design and construction company. But that will have to wait until i know what the docs say. Tough times to be doing that but I think I would enjoy that more as work than woodworking. I get a LOT of compliments on my yard even though I've done all the work on a very tight budget. We spent less than $1,200 building this complete garden 10 years ago. With a broader range of materials and a bigger budget it would be fun...especially with a crew to do all the heavy lifting. I've moved enough stone with my bare hands for one lifetime... ;).

Speaking of chairs and stone...this is the chair i put in the corner of the garden for my daughter. Cindy...this garden started as an idea of my daughter as a place to read.

It gets warmed in the sun and is actually very comfortable. She used to spend a lot of time reading there. She actually designed most of the garden....when she was 13. She was pretty specific...3 waterfalls, 2 ponds, moongate, firepit (we compromised on that with a purchased one since we already had a big one elsewhere in the yard.), scattered seating. The two of us spent probably 200 hours each building it over the course of about 5 months. She still comes home to help me clean and prune in it the spring and we'll find her out there studying sometimes when we come home even though she has left the nest.

A few more pics.

The moss garden in the bog area at the edge of the lower pond. The cherry tree is just starting to lose its blossoms in the pic. It looks like it snowed pink in there after a couple days.

Water lily...we have pink, white, yellow, and red. I had to thin them out shortly after this picture. They were covering too much of the pond....tough to feed the fish.

I really like the moss garden. Very easy to do. I have a lot of moss in my woods so any that doesn't do well gets replaced each spring. One of my favorite gardens to work in....like building in miniature. The bog also has carnivorous pitcher plants in it, ferns and iris that keep threatening to take over. Here's one of the iris. We also have purple ones.

The hummingbirds love the trumpet vines on the moon gate. Drives the cats crazy though.
Had a very funny encounter with a hummingbird last summer...actually AN related. Was having a particularly bad day, couldn't drive or work. Went outside and was watering the garden and a hummingbird flew down into the spray of the hose where it was splashing onto one of the flat stones we use for seats. For 5 minutes he splashed and fluttered his wings, did a little dance on top of that rock while i sprayed the hose on him. Made the day a little sunnier... ;D

Last couple...my Mom found the plans to a bird feeder that my dad had made her 30 years ago and asked if I could make another. I made it so that she could easily fill it from the window and watch the birds as they feed. I like mixing raw woods and dimensioned lumber. This cedar has a chickadee carved from a branch stump. I usually carve straight from an existing feature in the wood. I have a large, 10' long x 14" dia. cedar log with lots of branch stumps that I'm thinking of making into a carving of climbing geckos....hey...maybe I could sell it to Geico.... ;D

« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 11:17:06 pm by stoneaxe »
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

sgerrard

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2009, 12:00:13 am »
So you mean moss in the garden is a good thing? Wow, I am a better gardener than I thought!  :D

Actually it looks great, and there is a lot of hard work been done there. Thanks for all the great pictures.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

suboo73

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2009, 04:21:57 am »
I've considered starting a landscape design and construction company. But that will have to wait until i know what the docs say.

Hi Bob!  More great pics, i am so glad you are able to experience the joys of gardening. 
Perhaps one day you can start the landscape design & construction company.  You be the 'brains' and let the crew do the hard work!

We often get the hummingbirds buzzing us around the back deck saying 'put out the feeder, put out the feeder!'  Haven't seen any yet this year, and it is a little late for Virginia - but we have had mostly cooler weather and rain here too, so maybe the hummers are waiting for the warmer weather as well.

So on a side note - when do you see the docs again?

In the meantime, enjoy the warmer weather as it comes, the returning birds, your working meditation, and that paddleboard!
Sincerely,
Sue

suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2009, 01:15:51 pm »
I'm at a loss for words.  I wish I was half as talented in working with wood.  I can cut wood, and nail a few pieces together, but they never look like anything you've done!  Nice Job!

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

Adrienne

• I'm a postie now, and it feels so much better!
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2009, 01:22:36 pm »
Holy smokes, you are so talented!!  I especially LOVE the gates in Maui!  Very cool!

Adrienne
3.0 x 3.0 x 2.5 cm AN, left side.  Diagnosed Feb. 19th,2009
Retro Sig surgery with Dr. Akagami and Dr. Westerberg on May 26/09 at Vancouver General Hospital
SUCCESS! Completely removed tumor, preserved facial nerve, and retained a lot of hearing. Colour me HAPPY!

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2009, 03:15:46 pm »
Bob,

sorry I'm late chiming in... but, I have to say... FAB work! VERY impressive! :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

stoneaxe

• Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2009, 09:03:05 pm »
Best thing about the gates on Maui...i have visitation rights.... ;D
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.

stoneaxe

• Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2009, 09:18:29 pm »
Came home from a fun day on the water with Sue and Jacqui and was in the garden with my wide angle Go Pro camera. The pictures are a little distorted but show a large portion of the garden together.
That's Guinness on the bridge. Our cats love this garden. Very protected, dark stone paths get warmed in the sun, when they were kittens it was here they were first introduced to the outdoors under supervision. The fence is kitten tight until they can climb it... ;D. Our oldest cat pre-dates the garden but I think she thinks we built it for her.
The original bridge looked better with more arch but this one is much better to walk on. I just hope it fades soon...looks too new.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 09:28:29 pm by stoneaxe »

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2009, 06:50:05 am »
Your garden is so peaceful and inviting.  What an eye you have for putting together a beautiful space.

My guess is by next year, the wood will look weathered and all will be well again:-)

Thanks for sharing,
Kate
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/