Author Topic: Cell Phones and AN's - a new study - very concerning  (Read 4161 times)

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
Cell Phones and AN's - a new study - very concerning
« on: April 30, 2009, 12:14:05 am »
Hi all,

Sorry to raise this topic again but a recent study undertaken by leading neurologists in Oz (Charles Teo is world reknown for pioneering some brain tumor procedures), indicates that there is definitely a heightened risk of cell phone usage to brain tumors inc AN's.

I don't have the full article - am working on it, but i have put the published outline below.

I heard Dr Teo on the radio this morning and he is mounting a campaign targetting use of these phones by kids. The key issue he identified is that it can take around 10 years of constant use for the radiation to have an impact. He is not saying that it affects everyone but the studies indicate an exponential increase from around 10 years ago. i guess the key issue here is that cell phones have really only been around for around 20 odd years (active and popular use) so incidence of tumors would start to be prominant now especially as the usage has skyrocketed in the last 10 years - just ask the carriers about fee income!

He also mentioned that using an earpeice reduces the radiation by a very small amount. he said that he uses the speaker phone and holds the phone at arms length.

Cell phones and brain tumors: a review including the long-term epidemiologic data

References and further reading may be available for this article.

Vini G. Khurana PhD, FRACSa, b, , , Charles Teo MBBS, FRACSc, Michael Kundi PhDd, Lennart Hardell MD, PhDe and Michael Carlberg MSce

a Australian National University, Australia

b Department of Neurosurgery, The Canberra Hospital, Garran ACT 2605, Australia

c The Prince of Wales Private Hospital, Randwick NSW 2031, Australia

d Institute of Environmental Health, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna A-1095, Austria

e Department of Oncology, University Hospital, Orebro SE-701 85, Sweden

Received 23 December 2008;  accepted 21 January 2009.  Available online 27 March 2009.

Referred to by:  Commentary
Surgical Neurology, In Press, Corrected Proof, Available online 28 March 2009,
Ron Pawl
 PDF (48 K) 

Background

The debate regarding the health effects of low-intensity electromagnetic radiation from sources such as power lines, base stations, and cell phones has recently been reignited. In the present review, the authors attempt to address the following question: is there epidemiologic evidence for an association between long-term cell phone usage and the risk of developing a brain tumor? Included with this meta-analysis of the long-term epidemiologic data are a brief overview of cell phone technology and discussion of laboratory data, biological mechanisms, and brain tumor incidence.

Methods

In order to be included in the present meta-analysis, studies were required to have met all of the following criteria: (i) publication in a peer-reviewed journal; (ii) inclusion of participants using cell phones for ≥10 years (ie, minimum 10-year “latencyâ€?); and (iii) incorporation of a “lateralityâ€? analysis of long-term users (ie, analysis of the side of the brain tumor relative to the side of the head preferred for cell phone usage). This is a meta-analysis incorporating all 11 long-term epidemiologic studies in this field.

Results

The results indicate that using a cell phone for ≥10 years approximately doubles the risk of being diagnosed with a brain tumor on the same (“ipsilateralâ€?) side of the head as that preferred for cell phone use. The data achieve statistical significance for glioma and acoustic neuroma but not for meningioma.

Conclusion

The authors conclude that there is adequate epidemiologic evidence to suggest a link between prolonged cell phone usage and the development of an ipsilateral brain tumor.

2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

Jackie

Re: Cell Phones and AN's - a new study - very concerning
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 12:18:31 am »
Larry,

I find that very interesting, as I listen to my cell phone with my left ear, my acoustic neuroma is on my right side, but I have a small meningioma on my left side. Go figure???
Jackie
9mm x 11mm Right Side AN mild Tinnitis, and 60% hearing loss
Diagnosed 02/04/2007
Nov.13th, diagnosed with 5mm Meningioma
9/24/08 diagnosed with Aneurysm
Wait and watch per ENT's advice and researching my options!!! What's next???

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 04:29:52 am »
I never used my mobile for calling only txting, and my AN was over 4.5cm, plus AN's were around a long time before cellphones were invented
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 05:25:54 am »
Thanks Larry.  I think this is an ongoing debate and a very interesting one. Like Jackie, my tumor developed on the side I don't use for my cell phone. 
Best,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Seal

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 05:31:07 am »
Me too.   Right side AN and always held the phone to the left side.     No correlation here..................
Diagnosed 1/14/09 - 2.4cm AN right side --- about 70% cycstic
Retrosigmoid wiih McKenna & Barker - total removal successful on April 13th. 
Issues: balance, facial & mouth numbness, hearing loss right side
Results:   numbness gone, balance is good, SSD right side. Great results.

Migoi

• Loving life as a hill dweller.
    • Migoi's Mumblings
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 05:47:47 am »
Thanks for posting that summary. It is interesting information, but like so many other medical studies, only provides more possibilities, maybes, and perhaps. If we were to go through all the studies conducted and eliminated or became scared of things that a study, or even a meta-study such as this one, showed increased chances of having something bad happen to you we would end up sitting in a cave next to Osama bin Laden (which in itself probably wouldn't be too good for your health).

Without seeing the entire report it is difficult to know the answers to some of the considerations this brings to mind. Did the studies included in this meta-study control for other lifestyle choices and living styles. It is also not quite clear if the study shows an overall increase in brain tumors or just a greater incidence of tumors on the cell phone preferred side versus the non cell phone preferred side... meaning is there a statistically significant increase in the number of brain tumors for folks using a cell phone for more than 10 years versus people who haven't used a cell phone or does it just show, if you grow a brain tumor it's more likely to be on the side you hold your cell phone on rather than the one where you don't, if you've been using a cell phone for more than 10 years.

Thanks for the information, but I'm thinking I'm not going to chuck my cell phone in the river just yet. Afterall, I still grill my hamburgers and cook my bacon so that there are grill marks and crunchy bits. Remember when that study was all the rage?

Add me to the list of folks chiming in that their AN is on the opposite side of their cell phone preferred side.

..take care.. tim b
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 07:28:11 am by Migoi »
Arkansas Support Group Leader
The wild places are where we began. When they are gone, so are we. - D.B.
AN's only affect the smartest, most interesting people in a population.
On a hill in Onda, AR
http://www.facebook.com/migoi

Kathy M

• Kathy
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 06:20:14 am »
One of the neurosurgeons that I saw for a consultation when I was "shopping" told me the very same thing - the possibility of a correlation between long-term cell phone use and ANs.  He is currently a surgeon at the Ohio State University Medical Center and very well-respected in his field.  Obviously, they are not the only cause.  But, if based upon our own uniquenesses, some of us could be affected by the radiation emitted by cell phones, I am planning on paying attention to this. 

I used a cell phone extensively with my job for the past 5 years on the AN side.  Now, as a postie, I will still use my cell phone, but my plan is that it will be mostly for texting and I've got a great speaker phone!!  The thought of losing my hearing in my good ear, too, is sobering!!

Thanks for providing us with this information!  Time will tell and for me, I will be much more aware of how I use this device that I am very dependent on.

Kathy
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 06:29:29 am »
As Marci mentioned, this has been an ongoing debate for a couple of years on the forum.  I'm sure someone can find at least a link or two if they look.

In my case I didn't even have a cell phone before I was diagnosed with my AN.

I hope some day we'll have some kind of conclusive evidence one way or the other, but for now I'm with Tim.  I'm not going to chuck my cell - as much as I hate it.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 06:42:17 am »
Thanks for putting up the new study...as with all things, I think it is good to keep this in mind - especially when it involves the development of our children.  However, I  will say again that I had a "HUGE" tumor 13 years ago and I can honestly say that I had NEVER talked on a cell phone then - they were hardly around then!! ::)

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

nteeman

• Back to Mono
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2009, 06:47:24 am »
He also mentioned that using an earpeice reduces the radiation by a very small amount. he said that he uses the speaker phone and holds the phone at arms length.

I find this odd. First, by earpeice does he mean bluetooth or wired earbud? If a wired earbud it would not be any different than a mp3 player or walkman and I have never heard of any theory that these can cause tumors. Also then why is OK to use the speaker at arms lenght while it may be just as far away using a wired earbud?  This sounds more like an urban myth than a scientific advice.

Puh!

Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
surgery performed on 1/27/2009 Mt. Sinai Hospital, NYC
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha
9:30am thru 5:50pm
http://www.facebook.com/neal.teeman

Migoi

• Loving life as a hill dweller.
    • Migoi's Mumblings
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2009, 06:55:36 am »
Good point about bluetooth. While the power levels are much lower for bluetooth...people do tend to have them operating next to their ear for longer periods of time... love my cell phone (mostly for the texting and web acess) but I'm really not fond of the "I am the borg" feeling I get when people walk around with their bluetooth earpieces in all the time. As long as they don't force me to use one...to each his own...

..take care.. tim b
Arkansas Support Group Leader
The wild places are where we began. When they are gone, so are we. - D.B.
AN's only affect the smartest, most interesting people in a population.
On a hill in Onda, AR
http://www.facebook.com/migoi

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2009, 08:57:07 am »
I've posted extensively on this cell phone-tumor issue and simply don't have time for or interest in rehashing all the arguments and counter-arguments.  I'm highly skeptical of the alleged link and in my case, I never used a cell phone so I know that was not a factor in the development of my AN.  I won't be so presumptuous as to claim there is no link but I haven't seen anything definitive, mostly leaps of faith and speculation.  Time will eventually help settle this issue but for now, I'm not signing on to the cell-phones-cause-brain cancer/ANs.  Others are free to believe what they wish and throw away their cell phone or hold it arms length on speakerphone or whatever they feel is prudent.   Because my cell phone usage is minimal, I don't intend to change the way I use it.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

lori67

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2009, 09:33:47 am »
To be on the safe side, I'm just not going to answer my phone anymore.  Especially when it's someone trying to sell me replacement windows, new vinyl siding (for a brick house??) or a subscription to a newspaper from Timbuktu.

I'll stick with blaming my AN on swine flu, the terrorists and the Republicans, since they seem to get blamed for everything anyway...why not this?   :D

By the way, on the subject of cell phones, I saw a first grader at my daughters school the other day talking on a cell phone!  First grade????  Isn't that a little young?

Ok, sorry, go ahead and yell at me Phyl, I know I'm off topic. Sortof.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Keri

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2009, 11:09:32 am »
The 'up' side (if you could call it one) of cell phone use with teenagers is that they seem to spend 95% of their cell time texting, as opposed to having it against their ear (at least my daughter does).

My AN was on my cell phone side. I always wondered about this because I'd hold my cell in place with my shoulder and yack and yack forever while folding laundry and doing other tasks. I used it extensively for work. I know that AN's have been around before cells, and many who have AN's don't use a cell that much and that many who are glued to their cell phone don't have AN's... but still, I think it's probably not good to have it by your ear for so long. It may be one of those things that the ill effects may increase in some and it will be more obvious over the next several years. Anyway, now I try to use my speaker phone a lot more.

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2009, 11:17:46 am »
I'll stick with blaming my AN on swine flu, the terrorists and the Republicans,

Lori -

don't blame your AN on the Republicans, do like I do and blame it on Carter, Clinton, & Obama  :D

Keri -

your are so right about the whole texting thing.  My kids got cell phones in 5th grade - basically because I'm a single parent, who works full-time and my kids (and sometimes their school) need to reach me.  They'd been bugging me for months about getting the texting package because that is all their friends do, so I finally agreed a few months ago.  I think the only one they talk to on their phones these days is me - and I'm quickly learning how to text.

I'm generally fairly open-minded, but I'm definitely with Jim on this one.  Until there is concrete proof that cell phones cause ANs - or anything else "serious" - I'll continue to use mine.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways