Author Topic: Surprised about surgery  (Read 2276 times)

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Surprised about surgery
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2009, 01:02:59 pm »
Kabby .....

As many have already said, we all walk through this same valley ..... from the totally devastating diagnosis, to the dizzying (pun intended!) treatment options, to the treatment decision, and finally the relief.  As many of us have expressed, the decision-making and the waiting are often the worst part of the whole thing .... it was for me.  I had less than three weeks from diagnosis to surgery.  The first week was agony wrestling with the treatment options.  The second week was the nesting/escaping week.  And the third week was complete peace that all would be well.

Telling my family consisted of telling our adult children and my sister ..... all of whom accepted it understanding the seriousness of it but without fear.  My surgery was done near where my sister lives (5 hours away from my home) so she had gathered together many prayer partners and her minister who stayed with my husband during surgery.  (I think they had a big party in the waiting room.   ;D) Knowing this I was very relaxed going into surgery and I know the prayers of many people contributed to my excellent result.

You will do fine and I know you will have the prayers of many people on this forum alone!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

grega

Re: Surprised about surgery
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2009, 02:25:41 pm »
Kabby,

Thanks for sharing the report that you got thru breaking the AN news to your Mom yesterday.  Glad it went so emotionally well, with your sisters' help, and with just the proper amount of humor.

You mentioned hospice.  I was involved with hospice because of my late wife, so I know it's a fine organization that will care for your family member with love, so that you will have the time necessary to concentrate on your own situation.  I pray for you and family as you face the future.

Greg
1.5 cm AN retrosig 11/04.
Drs. Henry Brem & Michael Holliday @ Johns Hopkins, Baltimore
SSD right. Tinnitus big-time, only when thinking of it.
BAHA since 7/20/10 ... really helps w/ hearing, specially after programming in subliminal message: "Hey, don't listen to your tinnitus!"