Author Topic: This Week (May 3) in the Tempestuous World of the AN  (Read 6743 times)

LADavid

This Week (May 3) in the Tempestuous World of the AN
« on: May 02, 2009, 05:19:26 pm »
Have a lot of updates to start out with.  Here are the one's that I know of:

Laura (allegro17) had her surgery at the SBI here in LA.  It was successful.  She did have issues with dizziness for the first few days, but she's doing fine now.

Debbi had her MRI and got the results immediately.  They were unremarkable!

Patty (cjtender) had her Retro Sig.  She had a bit of a rough time for the first few days but was fine by Friday.

Jan had her MRI and confessed that she enjoys them (Jan Jan Jan, you're giving the Tube o' Gloom a good name).  The results are in the mail -- at last check.

Sara (saralynn143) went for a follow up visit and got a car.  Talk about a non sequitur.  The follow-up btw was good.

Patrick turned 49.

And Jo (tenai98) had a good visit with her ENT.

OK, here's what's up this week.  Looks like a bunch of appointments and follow up stuff.

On Monday, Jo Joebloggs) has an appointment with the T o' G for a CT Scan and a follow up with the neurosurgeon.  Here's hoping all goes well, Jo.

On Tuesday, Wetever is having surgery at House.  Best wishes for a successful surgery.

Also on Tuesday (Wednesday too), Patty, (alwaysthere) has appointments with doctors at the Mayo Clinic.  Hope you get some answers, Patty.

Then on Wednesday, Brian (pooter) has a date with the Tube o' Gloom.  Brian, being a musician, maybe you can come up with a song based on all the booming and banging in the Tube.  It would make an interesting bass line.

On Thursday, Anissa from Idaho has her one month check up.  May it be a great one, Anissa.

Also on Thursday, Jen (JWH) has an appointment with the T o' G for her three month MRI.  Jen, may it be unremarkable and may it be the last of what you've been dealing with for the past 6 years.

Finally, on Friday, Brian (pooter) is celebrating his one year Retro Sig anniversary.  Wow, and it just seems like a year ago.  Celebrate big, Brian.

And that's it for this week.  Have a great one everybody.

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: This Week (May 3) in the Tempestuous World of the AN
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 06:09:20 pm »
Thanks for another great update, David!

I had forgotten that Laura had her surgery at SBI.  That explains the tiny scar  :)

Good luck everyone, on the MRIs, follow up appts., tests, etc.  And a special good luck to Wetever on his surgery.

Congratulations on the 1 year milestone, Pooter!!  I remember when you were just a newbie!  ;D  You've come a long way in the last year.

As for me, my MRI results arrived in the mail yesterday and, although I have no MD behind my name, I think the radiologist's report says I'm "clean".  I'm waiting for my neurotologist's official confirmation before I celebrate though - since he does have an MD behind his name  ;D

Jan

PS - fellow forumites, please suggest some more adjectives to David.  Although I absolutely love tempetuous, I think we've used it before. 

« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 06:11:55 pm by leapyrtwins »
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

LADavid

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 07:00:34 pm »
Jan,  I checked back through all the updates and I didn't see it.  There were some weird ones but I didn't see a Tempestuous.
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

sgerrard

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 07:15:45 pm »
http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=8966.0    ;D

In the tempestuous world of the AN, its tempestuousness is sure to come up more than once. No matter.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Kaybo

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009, 07:41:00 pm »
I thought that sounded familiar!!

Good Luck and prayers to everyone!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2009, 08:40:25 pm »
David, I hope you don't think I was picking on you, because as Steve said it doesn't matter.

It's just that I rely on you - and Jim Scott - to expand my vocabulary.  You both usually come up with words I am not familiar with - and I enjoy finding out what they mean.

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2009, 06:36:02 am »
I think tempestuous is a good word and should be used frequently.   ;)

Thanks David for all of the updates. 

Wishing everyone good results. 
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Lainie181818

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2009, 02:31:16 pm »
I also think tempestuous is a great word. David, we don't thank you enough for the long laborious job you do every week. You do a fantastic job and keep us all informed. Keep up the interesting and knowledgable vocab,  I am awarding you a pay raise.
Lainie.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2009, 03:20:15 pm »
David:

Thanks, as always, for a comprehensive rundown of AN 'events' this week as well as a recap of last week's notable occasions. 

Wetever - wishing you a complication-free surgery at the famed House Ear Institute. 

Jo, Jen, Anissa and Pooter - may your scans be clear and your respective doctors elated by your recovery. 

Patty - may your visit with the doctors at the renowned Mayo Clinic be fruitful. 

Brian - have a fine 1-year celebration!  You've earned it.

Jan - I trust your MRI was 'unremarkable' .  I'll await the official report right along with you.  Good news is always welcome here.   :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Jwh

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2009, 05:34:49 pm »
Thanks all!  I'll take all the good luck I can!  I also have my hearing test scheduled for this Tuesday (to check the good ear).

Jen
5/01  1.3 AN removed at NYU using Retrosig. Approach
2/07  Rediagnosed with Regrowth 8 mm (wait & watch mode)
1/09  1.4 AN removed at NYU using Translab (total tumor removal)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2009, 06:18:48 pm »
David, we don't thank you enough for the long laborious job you do every week. You do a fantastic job and keep us all informed.

This is absolutely true.  I think Steve should knit you a hat - light weight yarn of course, since it doesn't get too cold in LA  ;)

Jan

Rich56

• a caregiver's 2-cents
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2009, 10:47:18 pm »
Wetever, you’ll be in our thoughts for a successful surgery, and a speedy recovery.

Best wishes to Jo, Brian, and Jen for clean visits to the T.O.G.

I hope Patty, Anissa, and of course my wonderful wife Scarlett :-* have great news at their Dr. appointments this week.

Happy Anniversary Brian on your 1 year celebration.

And, congratulations to all on a successful week, last week :)

Rich & Scarlett

P.S. Thank you David for this week's run down ;)
P.S.S. I only just now added Scarlett to the calendar, sorry. :(
SML (Scarlett's) other half, she had - 1.5 cm x 2.5 cm Cystic AN - Right side
Retrosigmoid on 3/18/09 at MGH in Boston, MA. Dr. Barker & Dr. Lee of MGH/MEEI
no facial issues, SSD right side, balance issues to work on.
The AN Calendar is here: http://www.my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2009, 02:22:55 am »
Wow, lots of follow-ups, MRIs, and an anniversary this week, including Scarlett.  Good luck to all.
Wetever is the focus with tumor treatment tomorrow.  Best wishes for a favorable outcome and speedy recovery.
And hoping you'll learn everything you'd ever want to know to make you feel comfortable about the road ahead, Patty.
Nancy
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

wendysig

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2009, 06:08:28 am »
Good luck to all having MRIs.  I hope they are clean and uknremarkable. 

Wetever -- Good luck on Thursday -- you are in good hands at House.

Jan -- I have to agree  with you on MRIs.  I only had two (only?) but I closed my eyes and  almost fell asleep the second time.  I actually find the closeness and noise comforting in some way -- I wonder if it reminds me of being back in the womb?

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2009, 01:36:15 pm »
Prayers going out ot Wetever for a safe and fully successful surgery at House!

Hope the news is good for the MRI crowd of Jo, Jen, Anissa and Brian.

And good luck to all who have their check ups this week :).

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.