Author Topic: Off Topic....wedding reception question.  (Read 4435 times)

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
Off Topic....wedding reception question.
« on: March 04, 2006, 02:07:05 pm »
Afternoon all! 

My fiancé and I are getting married in June of this year and we're planning to hold a small reception the Saturday after we come back (we're off to the Bahamas for a "Wedding-Moon" ...both to be held in the same place).

But we're at a loss on what to call it on the invitations’.  It will be at our house...all day Saturday.   Our idea is for the people that we invite to stop by during the hours that we’re holding the reception....very casual...stop for a drink and something to eat.  (No presents expected or needed).   We figured since our house isn't real big, this would work well and also fit into everyone’s schedule.

But we're at a loss on what to call it...it's not a reception, because it's not formal.  It's not a cocktail hour because everyone will come by at different hours.   We had something like this during Christmas time and called it a Christmas social...cocktails and holiday food.   Maybe a "Reception Social?"

Thanks for the inputs.   I know it doesn't deal with a "AN"...but your all like a cyber family and I'd appreciate any inputs.

Gary
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

matti

Re: Off Topic....wedding reception question.
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2006, 02:39:51 pm »
First of all, congratulations and I am really excited for you!

It sounds along the lines of something like an open house. A few years back I went to a wedding reception that sounded very similar to what you want. The guests were told to drop by anytime between 12 and 4 and they had finger foods/drinks and the wedding cake was pre-cut. They also had a video of their wedding that was shown every hour or so, as well as pictures they had enlarged. It was a great party, very casual.

I am trying to remember what the invitation said (darn memory). I usually keep everything, I will try and find it.

I recently planned a 50th anniversary party for my parents and I got some great ideas by googling "wedding invitations". Some of the the sites had sections that showed different ways with wording.

Matti
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Battyp

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2006, 05:26:53 pm »
Congrats Gary and best wishes to the bride to be!

Sounds like an open house thing to me, meet and greet, sounds fun are we all invited?  l :D

I'm assuming everyone you're inviting knows both you and your fiance....

You are cordially invited to attend the open house of the newly married mr and mrs gary __________
Please come by anytime between 8:oo pm until ?  and share our happiness on such and such date at such and such place. 

Did I mention I'm a teacher and needing a new career?? can I get a job writing wedding invitations   ;D

I think I'd do matti's thing and googly for ideas.

matti

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2006, 08:28:42 pm »
Gary - ask and you shall receive!

Battyprincess  - You're hired!!

I think it would be fun to work at Hallmark.

Life is great at 50

Battyp

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2006, 09:27:51 pm »
Matti, not sure gary appreciates my first attempt at wedding invites  lol  and to think my parents used to be in the printing business and sell wedding invitations  lol

GM

• My Blog Page
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2006, 06:22:47 am »
Great ideas!  Thanks!   

Batty P   I think Hallmark should hire ya  :)   

Thanks also for the well wishes...if you have any other ideas please continue to post them.

Have a great Sunday!

Gary
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page

Battyp

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2006, 12:30:21 pm »
Gary I did have a thought today you're gonna laugh

I'm planning on having a celebration of life party on my an surgery date to celebrate the year...so...

I think your invites should say

You are cordially invited to attend a Celebration of Matrimony open house anytime during the hours of: ____ to ____ on (day) at (time)

Don't forget we all get an invite  lol

GM

• My Blog Page
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2006, 06:30:41 pm »
Batty P  -   that sounds good also...and yes you'll all receive a cyber invite if you want to make the trip to Hampton Roads Virginia...we'll have cake, shrimp, punch and cocktails  :)

Battyp

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2006, 08:08:43 pm »
Hey dont' tempt me Gary..I've got family in VA not to mention I absolutely LOVE shrimp   ;)

What is Hampton Roads close to?  My grandma lived in Colonial Heights, I've relatives in norfolk, va beach area and my first roller coaster experience was at kings dominion on the rebel yell...scared the heck out of me but I loved it!

GM

• My Blog Page
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2006, 07:02:29 am »
"Batty-P"

They call it "Hampton Roads"  because they refer to it on the news in land formations...especially during the weather forecast:  The "Penninsula" are those of us in Newport News, Williamsburg, Hampton, etc..  The "South Side" are those in Norfolk, Virginia Beach...  The "Eastern Shores" are all of those town on the other side of the Chesapeake Bay-Bridge Tunnel, and then there's the "Upper Penninsula"  Glouster, etc...   So they just call it "Hampton Roads" because we're so close to each other...just sperated by water...

And of course you can stop by for shrimp and a drink!

Gary

Battyp

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2006, 12:09:00 pm »
My cousin is in New port News...

Ok, Shrimp and drinks at Gary's everyone!  Of course we don't know the date  he's actually having the party so feel free to show up anytime  LOL

matti

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2006, 02:54:24 pm »
That's right, Gary did say it would be an open house.
Life is great at 50

GM

• My Blog Page
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2006, 12:22:47 pm »
Good thing I didn't mention the lobster....OOoops!    :)

Battyp

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2006, 02:53:58 pm »
LOBSTER....heck that's better than shrimp..jumping in car heading your way..keep in mind I can only drive at night and I'm not allowed on the interestate so I should get there lets see ur um..next week?  lol

GM

• My Blog Page
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2006, 02:50:44 pm »
Batty-P

Do you restrict yourself to nightime driving...or is your driving that bad that you hope for less targets?  :)

Seriuosly...is it because of your AN that you only drive at night?  Does your state require restricted driving?

GM