Author Topic: Off to Work - and a PROMOTION?!!!  (Read 2866 times)

Kathy M

• Kathy
Off to Work - and a PROMOTION?!!!
« on: May 06, 2009, 06:57:34 pm »
After 4 months of medical leave, I returned to work today.  I can't believe it's been that long...and yet, it seems like a lifetime.  While I was on medical leave, I've been offered a promotion, too - I have accepted and now it is awaiting final approval.  Barring any unforeseen issues, I will be able to start my new job late this month.  Until then, I'm back at my current job (whilch is great, too). 

I am a worrier by nature (as many of you know very well), and I've questioned my ability to cope with work, cope with driving (a one hour 10 minute drive each way), cope with balance issues, SSD, and I've also wondered if I could ever expect to have the cognitive abilities to perform my job (let alone a new job with even more responsibilities).  But guess what I found?  I'm doing great!!! 

Work - I felt very much on my game and hopped right in with both feet.  I  have over 900 e-mails waiting for me, but that's ok!  Conference call within the first hour of coming back, and there was no slow down until 8 hours later when I walked out the door. 

Driving - Thick fog this morning (I hadn't practiced that during my leave time!), did great, although I did have to pry my hands off the steering wheel when I got there.  Driving home - torrential rain.  Again, a white-knuckle drive, but no problem!!!

Balance - I wore my terrific peep-toe pumps with 3 inch heels and didn't topple over.  Maneuvered my way from a parking garage, 2 escalators, and an elevator to the 28th floor.  My building has tall tall ceilings, lots of visual input, I remained upright and could talk and walk to get coffee with my staff!!

SSD - that one might be a challenge, but I'll figure it out.  Once I get some distance from my surgeries, I may consider pursuing the BAHA.  Until then, folks will just have to be patient.  I only picked up my phone 3 times today and held it to my non-hearing ear.  Tomorrow, I'll rearrange my desk so I won't forget that I can't hear a thing on my left side!!!    (...and, during a family get-together Sunday, I didn't hear my brother-in-law start to pray before the meal and I just kept commenting on all the great sales in the paper I was reading at the table.  My family thought that was just hilarious but I was not amused!!!  My husband has promised to cue me in next time but he got such a chuckle, I don't know if I trust him!!)

Cognitive issues - time will tell, but I felt very vital, relevant, and on my game.   I foresee no issues.  Short-term memory issues(especially names) have haunted me for a long while, but I manage this with making lists.  Doesn't help with names, but ya can't have everything!!

The only down side - the scarf irritated my "wound" on the back of my head.  It has finally started to heal, no more drainage, but it is ouchy tonight.  My staff told me that they think it looks just fine (a bazooka gum pink bald spot about the size of a medium strawberry) and to not wear it at all.  I  might muster up the courage to do that tomorrow since I don't want the healing process to stop!!!  Come this far, don't want to ruin the progress!!!! 

All in all I am so very lucky. ANs are lousy.  Scares one to death.  I did not have an uneventful recovery, unfortunately.  BUT - here I am, on the other side, feeling great, and very proud to be recommended for a new position to boot.  I will begin playing clarinet in my local community band in the next few weeks  once I get back in the routine of working long days.  Life is really good.

Thanks for all you've done for me (and my family) throughout this journey.  I would have been quite lost without you.

I'm not done here yet...just had to share this good news with you.   If you're recovering from surgery - or preparing for it at some point, don't despair!  Your life can be even better!!!

Love to all of you,

Kathy
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

Lilan

Re: Off to Work - and a PROMOTION?!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 07:08:38 pm »
Darn, the way the subject line read on the main directory, I thought you were going to a big high school dance!

Thanks for taking the time to post all that about the return to work -- I and many others are very curious about what to expect when that comes around!

You are doing just great. I am extra-amazed by all of you who have 3, 4, 5 cm tumors and rebound so well! Going to proms and getting promotions!!  :D

Facial nerve hemangioma. Probable dx 7/2008 confirmed 4/2009. Combo middle fossa and translab to remove the blood vessel malformation and snip ruined hearing and balance nerves by Drs. House and Brackmann @ House 6/2009. Doing great!

Migoi

• Loving life as a hill dweller.
    • Migoi's Mumblings
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 07:33:05 pm »
Congratulations on the promotion.

Congratulations on the recovery.

Congratulations on the 3 inch heel mastery.. you'll have to show me how you do that, everytime I put on an evening dress and heels, I topple over.

Congratulations on the adapt, overcome, move on thing....

..take care.. tim b
Arkansas Support Group Leader
The wild places are where we began. When they are gone, so are we. - D.B.
AN's only affect the smartest, most interesting people in a population.
On a hill in Onda, AR
http://www.facebook.com/migoi

texsooner

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 07:44:24 pm »
Way to go Kathy. I knew you had it in you. Very proud of you.

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 08:01:11 pm »
Kathy .....

For everything you have been through, you are amazing!

I think I might have been able to go back to work at 4 months out (now retired fortunately!), but definitely not the 3" heels!! :o

Congratulations on this significant milestone in your recovery!!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Keri

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 09:06:59 pm »
Hi Kathy,
Great news and congratulations! I'm glad you're feeling so well / doing so well.
I think AN's make us more courageous. Some things I used to be scared of, now I'm willing to try because I've had brain surgery and survived alright! (well, I'm not going to try skydiving or anything like that).
But.... I think I'd delete the emails and skip on wearing the heels!
It's so great that the things you were worried about you did something about anyway and that makes the victory of it all even better.

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 09:27:11 pm »
Very awesome Kathy!  Glad to see things moving along favorably for you!  It may have been 4 months in the making, but stories like yours show the newer folks that life can return to something close to normal after AN surgery.

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2009, 10:05:42 pm »
Ah, yes, there is life after an AN  ;D

Glad things are going so well for you, Kathy.

Congratulations!!!

Jan

Tim, lots of us can help you with that evening dress/3" heel issue at the symposium  ;)  You crack me up!  :D

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2009, 11:03:43 pm »
Awesome!... 8)
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

Dismas72

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009, 05:33:23 am »
Kathy,
  Yes CONGRAT'S TOO..
    I started back to work after about 2 months, against what the doctors told me. But I only worked what I could until I hit the wall and needed a NAP!   I work in a noisy office and still am adjusting to only picking up sounds from one side. I had long swithed to holding the phone to my left ear(as I am right handed) but I still seams strange!!  I think your doing good and will adjust to the new(old) sounds of work just in a different way. Keep it up! the Good days are out weighing the bad!!!

Dismas72

2.7cm diagnosed 6/08 removed 9/08 at the Mayo Clinic Rochester MN.
retrosigmoid approach (9hrs)  01/09 follow up, Got it ALL!!!

Kaybo

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2009, 07:08:26 am »
WAY TO GO, KATHY!! ;D

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

sgerrard

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2009, 08:04:00 am »
Great come back, Kathy. 900 emails? Sigh. Some days I am not so convinced that electronic marvels are all that marvelous. :)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2009, 08:25:31 am »
Kathy ~

I'll just slip in at the end of this conga line of congratulations that are rightfully coming your way in response to your categorically upbeat post.

Your adaptability and positive attitude when dealing with the everyday challenges post-op AN patients face, even those with few complications, is instructional as well as inspiring.  You offer a cogent, comprehensive and informative account of the realities of your post-op experiences regarding your return to the world of work.  Not everything is 'perfect', of course, but you appear to have successfully surmounted the obstacles and met the challenges head-on, and for this you deserve the kudos as well as our collective pride in your accomplishments.   In short: well done!  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

vjgfamily

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2009, 08:36:19 am »
Kathy,

Superwoman!  You've got a lot to be proud of, and you're an inspiration to many.

Don't be too disappointed if the clarinet thing has to be postponed for a while.  I had a few false starts playing the saxophone after my AN surgery.  The issues were: 
1)  easily tired armature
2)  wind strength diminishes quickly
3)  horn sound wears on your head

Start out with short, short practice sessions.  Be patient...you'll get there.

Verl
AN Surgery in 1988 by Jack L. Pulec in LA.  Loss of hearing in right ear.

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2009, 11:07:39 am »
You make me smile.  Bravo!
Still waiting for a picture of those shoes . . .
Nancy
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness