Author Topic: How long before you get back to work?  (Read 4323 times)

kabby

How long before you get back to work?
« on: May 06, 2009, 07:31:18 pm »
OK--I am aware that everyone's recovery is different, but yesterday the doctor informed me that I should plan on at least two months off work while recuperating from translab and I was thinking it would be more like two weeks or so.  Does that sound right?  I really was counting on a much shorter time since I am self-employed and don't get disability or unemployment or any other income if I don't work! 

And, did anyone here do anything special to get themselves physically ready for surgery?  I am in pretty good shape, but was thinking about increasing Vit. C intake and was just wondering if any body had any tips on quick healing.

K
Right side AN 2.8 x 1.8  SSD
Diagnosed 2003-Watch & wait until 3/09
Looks like it's gonna be translab

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: How long before you get back to work?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 07:44:16 pm »
K .....

This is a tough one because as you say everyone is different.  Some of this you will not know until after surgery because none of us who have had surgery knew for sure what the outcome would be until afterwards.  If you are already SSD, that will not be an issue.  So much depends upon exactly where the tumor is located and whether your facial nerve is salvageable.  Some of us have had significant balance problems, some not.  Some have had headaches, some of us have not.

You do not say what your self-employment is, but it is entirely possible you could resume some types of work at two weeks out.  If at all possible, it would be wise to plan on the two months and then be delighted when the time is much shorter.

The jury is still out on the value of Vitamin C intake.  I would certainly check with your surgeon about that ..... some vitamins increase bleeding potential and should be stopped before surgery.  Just make sure they are aware of what you have been taking.  I, personally, take extra vitamin C when I feel a cold coming on and whether it really helps or not, who knows ..... but it makes me feel like I am doing something.

Keep us posted on when you have surgery and how you are doing.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 08:54:43 pm »
I went back to work two weeks after a translab......the stupidest thing I have ever done in my entire life!!  I was dizzy, so nauseous, continuous headaches from hell and facial pain.  My weight dropped so drastically in a three month span, I looked dreadful.  Not to mention my cognitive stills went down the drain.  I worked 17 months full time, run a household and almost had a nervous breakdown.  I finally had to go on disability this time last year.

It wasn't until this time last year I went on antidepressants and Neurontin.   At the moment I really do not know when I will return to work or if I will ever return.  Last week four out of seven days I was immobile because of headaches.  I couldn't even make dinner for my four sons and husbands.  I just got caught up on my laundry yesterday.  If I returned to work I'm sure I would receive a pink slip the first month I was back because my attendance would be poor.

Now this is just my experience, everyone is different.  You have to listen to your body.  I didn't, if I did who knows how different my outcome would have been. 

The best of luck,
Anne Marie 
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 09:15:46 pm »
I couldn't even make dinner for my four sons and husbands.

I can't resist... How many husbands do you have?  ;D :D ;D

But seriously, to answer the question, K...

I allowed myself 8 weeks just in case, and returned after 6 weeks.  I could have returned after 2 weeks if driving wasn't such an issue, but my balance nerve was largely intact so I struggled, and still struggle, with lots of light-headedness when I turn my head left/right/up/down.  You said you are self employed, but do you have to do much driving?  That could be a hurdle.

Otherwise, it's like what's already been said.  Everyone is different and has different post-op issues.  I'll put in a good word for you with the big guy and hope it shortens your recovery time :).

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 09:19:35 pm »
Opps, the secret is out.... ;D   How did I miss that?

I only have ONE, the same ONE for 25 years  ;)

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Keri

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 09:31:13 pm »
Hi Kabby,
I think staying in good shape is very important right up until surgery. 2 weeks I think, for recovery, is a bit optimistic. Even if you're feeling more normal, less pain, etc, the fatigue is tough. I still need more rest, sometimes it feels like A LOT more rest than what I used to get by on (but I'm still able to do a lot of active things, but I'm also 3 months post op).
I'm not sure about lots of vit C, but I do TOTALLY agree with Clarice, when I have a cold, or am getting a cold, I make sure i'm taking lots of vit C. I think it helps more than anything.

There was someone else (not sure who) who wrote a while back about different vitamins and maybe more homeopathic things that she was taking prior to surgery. I'm sorry I can't remember her name, or what topic it was under (gee, I'm not much help). Jan always remembers stuff like this! And if she doesn't remember, she DOES know how to walk you through getting pictures on here.

Sorry for getting off topic... I do wish you the best and I hope you can find a way to get back to work, but to get plenty of needed rest as well. I hope and pray your recovery goes well.

I work from home (when I do bookkeeping) and could resume some computer and other duties a few weeks post op, but it wasn't full time. I also play piano at church, which encompasses 5 hours on Sunday (2 services). I was able to go back to that after about 4 - 5 weeks, but rested a bit between the two services.

Keri

1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 10:00:32 pm »
Everyone recovers at a different pace, but 2 months seems excessive.

Most doctors generally say 6 weeks.

A lot depends on your line of work and the side-effects you encounter post op.

I work a desk job and returned part-time 2 1/2 weeks post op.  I returned full time 4 weeks post op.

But my biggest permanent "issue" after my AN surgery was being SSD.  I was very fatigued and had the normal dizziness and balance issues, however, they really had no bearing on my sitting at my desk and doing my job.  They also didn't interfere with me supervising my staff.

If my job was more physically demanding or if I had encountered bigger side-effects (infection, CSF leak, continuing double-vision, etc) I probably would not have been able to return to work as soon as I did.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

nteeman

• Back to Mono
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 06:45:46 am »
I was operated on January 27th and returned to work the following February 27th.

;D

Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
surgery performed on 1/27/2009 Mt. Sinai Hospital, NYC
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha
9:30am thru 5:50pm
http://www.facebook.com/neal.teeman

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 06:56:04 am »
I was off for five weeks.
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009, 07:22:44 am »
Hi K:  I went back to work 2 months post surgery.  Felt like I could have stayed home longer due to all the post op issues I was dealing with.  2 months after starting work,  I started Vestibular Therapy due to continued balance issues.
Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Seal

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2009, 07:41:49 am »
As one doctor told me, plan on the recovery to take 6-8 weeks, and if you recover sooner, then you will be happy.      If you plan on any less, you will be disappointed.     I also am self empoloyed, and I was checking e-mails about 72 hours after the operation when I arrive back home.   HOWEVER, my first visit to the shop didn't happen until the end of the second week, and I really am not back to full time yet.    Before leaving for the Grand Event, I set up a good remote station at the house.    So I can get done the work via email that is necessary and then crash on the bed or couch for a nap.    Be sure to get your sleep.    My only mistake has been to underestimate how important rest and sleep really is to the long term recovery.   Just listen to your body, and it will tell you when you need to rest.    This is the fourth week for me now, and the progress is solid and steady!    Good luck and enjoy the ride!   

SteveK
Diagnosed 1/14/09 - 2.4cm AN right side --- about 70% cycstic
Retrosigmoid wiih McKenna & Barker - total removal successful on April 13th. 
Issues: balance, facial & mouth numbness, hearing loss right side
Results:   numbness gone, balance is good, SSD right side. Great results.

heyct

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2009, 09:09:43 am »
Hi Kabby,

I'm in the same boat, only I lost my regular magazine gig in Jan (my bread & butter) & found out a month later of my condition. I feel like my work life has been on hold, haven't wanted to commit to any long term projects. I live in the SF area & everything seems to take a month for appts, surgery etc... I'm also concerned about getting back to work post-op. It seems everyone's side-effects are different.

I can totally relate. Hopefully you've socked away enough to carry you through this challenging time.
Take care,
Carolyn
Diagnosed 2/09
9 x 6mm
Translab Surgery: 5/20/09, Stanford..it was a Hemangioma!
Almost complete removal, will have to do update MRIs.
BAHA Ponto Pro 5/9/11

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2009, 10:41:08 am »
Kabby -

I forgot to mention in my prior response, that recovery is not a race.  Neither are the milestones (being released from the hospital, returning to work, driving again, etc.,) associated with recovery.

So please don't set your benchmarks by someone else's results.  It's important to remember one of the ANA mantras "Everyone is different".

While it's great to have goals with specific dates attached, you'll find that doing things at your own pace will be what works best for you.

Have patience and listen to your body - it will definitely let you know what you're ready to do and when you're ready to do it.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Dog Lover

• My little Sammie Roo.
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2009, 09:49:19 pm »
Yep. Everyone is different. My vestibular nerve had not been affected at all prior to surgery, so I had lots of balance issues post op. Slow and easy and LOTS of rest (and walking) :)

I went back to work 1/2 time at home at 6 weeks and full time back in the office at 8 weeks. And even then, that was tough. I was driving and felt pretty good, but the fatigue was hard to deal with, and with the fatigue comes the wonky head and balance issues. I'm an IT analyst, so with that goes lots of thinking and understanding of different IT systems and how they all work together, which I'm sure didnt' help the fatigue any.

So, personally I don't think 8 weeks is at all unreasonable at all. And if you are up to returning earlier, then a pleasant surprise.

Cathy
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 09:51:47 pm by Dog Lover »
Cathy
9mm x 3mm Left Side AN
Mid Fossa Aug. 21, 2008
Dr. Gantz / Dr. Woodson
Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
No facial issues, hearing saved, I keep active and feel back to normal.

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2009, 05:53:02 am »
Hi,
I went back to work at 6 weeks part-time, then full time at 8-weeks.  I probably could have used a couple of additional weeks off but I was going crazy with boredom.
Best,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.