Author Topic: MRI results show regrowth  (Read 3455 times)

cheza

• I must be strong, this thing is beating me
    • facebook
MRI results show regrowth
« on: May 07, 2009, 08:16:44 am »
Hey all,

Well I can't quite believe it yet, the sunken feeling in the pit of my stomache, the numbness as I left the hospital, just when I thought things were gettiing better WHAM!!! I've been hit with the bulldozer affect.

It would seem that my small enhancing area is growing, its 8.25 x 8.9 x 7.65 mm last year it was 6.25 x 8.05 x 6.20. it has only been 18 months since my surgery I didn't expect any regrowth and espescially a regrowth so soon.

I cannot believe I have a regrowth I thought it was over, done, finished, I thought I could get on with my life.......it seems life has other plans.

Everyone has been saying how well I look and how well I'm doing, starting to be myself again, but now out comes the brave face again and I'd only just put it away.

My doctor has mentioned radiotherapy but only briefly, he has said I won't need to start it for a couple of years maybe and to be honest thhey don't like young people having it because they don't quite know about the long term affects it will now all depend on my next MRI which will be March 2010.

Looks like I'll be joining the watch & wait guys.

Take care everyone, please pray for me I think I need all the help I can get, i don't think god wants to listen to me.

Cheryl XxX  :'(
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 08:29:14 am by cheza »
diagnosed 4th Oct 07 with a 3cm left acoustic neuroma,
surgery 9th Nov 07, age 30 at time of surgery,
total hearing loss to left ear, grade 6 facial palsay (getting better)
latest MRI shows regrowth on facial nerve.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: MRI results show regrowth
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 08:30:21 am »
Cheryl ~

I'm so sorry to learn about the re-growth of your AN.  I'm certain that God does listen to you but often His plans for our lives are not necessarily our plans.  We don't live our mortal lives in paradise and bad things can and do happen to good people.  Please know that you'll be in the thoughts and prayers of many, many people until your next MRI.  I hope that scan finds the AN either shrunk or at least 'stable' (no growth).  Meanwhile, keep that brave face - and strong spirit.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

sgerrard

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 08:53:01 am »
to be honest they don't like young people having it because they don't quite know about the long term affects

I think they are surgeons and don't want to know about the long term effects. There have been quite a lot of studies, spanning 20 years now, and every single indication is that long term effects, if any, are very minimal. At this point, the statistical chance of there turning out to be some big effect is virtually zero.

I am sorry to hear about this regrowth. When the time comes, I would go get it zapped and be done with it. Meanwhile, get on with your life and don't fret over this.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 09:12:32 am »
Sorry to hear about the regrowth Cheza. I'm in the same boat, but I had radiosurgery the 1st time around now I'm going for surgery. I'm not a very religious guy but maybe its all part of the plan. I wouldn't be doing some of the things I'm doing today (one of them being the founding of a charitable event) if it weren't for the fact that I have a AN. I know all too well how hard this has hit you. Put on your best brave face and go out and dance.
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

cheza

• facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 03:36:42 pm »

Hi thank you for your responses your all very kind.

Since posting I have had time to think, and I have just one question, for now at least.

My regrowth is from the bit of tumour left behind which happens to be on the facial nerve, has anyone else had a regrowth on the facial nerve and if so has it affected your, I say this loosely, hearing, i.e. tinnitus on your deaf side, feeling in your tongue and finally has it hindered or worsened your paralysis recovery ? 

Thanks Cheryl XxX  ???

kimbo

• We do not remember days....we remember moments.
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 03:50:21 pm »
Cheza

I'm really sorry to hear of your regrowth particularly so soon after surgery; that's a tough blow.  The strength you obviously had to get through it the first time round I am sure will hold you in good stead for a second round.

Kimbo
Diagn 8/8/08 AN right 13mm x 9mm
mod/severe hearing loss & tinnitus
Translab surgery 05/17/2011
SSD & CSF leak x 4
Aussie

Cheryl R

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 03:59:25 pm »
Hi Cheryl from the other Cheryl.            I am not the typical ANer at all as I have NF2 but I had an actual facial neuroma after already having an AN on the same side.   So mine was not a regrowth.             I was already deaf but I am guessing that the type of surgery you would probably have would be translab.       I do not know this for sure.    My dr warned me ahead that if he severed the nerve than he would take some nerve from my ear and graft in. This did happen.     My recovery was like regular AN but yes the facial paraysis was there.          I was told that it would be a good 8 mos before start to see improvement and that was right on.       I am not ever going to be normal but my eye cllosed in time and I look ok with face at rest.     I do not have complete movement but some.  You can see by my profile that I don't look too bad.                I think how a dr would work with the facial nerve varies by their abiltiy.          I felt I had good results considering from this.             You could end up with any of the usual post op possibilities.       I have never had any facial or tongue numbness.       I have a numb ear area which is much  less now than at first.              There is the possibilty of removal of tumor from the facial nerve and it not being severed.    You would have to talk to your dr and see if he has done this.   Mine was  2 cm.    
    I am sorry you are having to go thru this now and have such a worry.           Good luck.             Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 06:39:45 pm »
Oh Cheryl,
I read the title of your post and my heart sank. This is so not fair, just when you were starting to feel like your life was getting back on track.
I am having my one year MRI on May 11th and I am so teary about it. I feel like I will have regrowth, I hate to say it and jinx myself but I feel like it is going to happen. The surgeon left some tumour to save my facial nerve. It all started with one crazy cell.....

Lean on us, we are here for you. You are a fighter, a surviour! You are not alone!
Hugs Michelle   :-* :'(
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

wendysig

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2009, 05:47:56 am »
Cheza,

I'm so sorry to hear about your regrowth -- it is every ANers greatest fear.  I hope W&W is as far as it goes.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2009, 08:33:19 am »
gawd am so sorry too hear that , I have a tiny piece left on my facial nerve as they tried tried to remove it but it was stuck on, i really worry about his kind of thing happening my next scan is due in oct. this year, Cheryl did they say why this would happen? i will be saying a prayer for youx
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2009, 08:38:19 am »
Cheryl,

There is actually more and more talk about using radiation after surgery when a small part of the tumor could not be removed without damaging the facial nerve.  Have you talked to any GK/CK centers yet?  If it were me, I'd attack this BEFORE it gets much bigger.  Symptoms only increase as the tumor grows, and your 2 MRI's show it IS growing.  Watch and Wait is a gamble, but it works for some people who, for some reason, the tumor just doesn't grow.

I will pray for you doubly since this is round 2.  I don't believe that God has abandoned you.  Look what his only son had to go through so that all of us could have eternal life!  Perhaps this will send you on a new path, and if nothing else, will make you a person others look to for strength when regrowth occurs.

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2009, 08:45:56 am »
cheryl!!!!!!!!!!!!  :-*

I'm at a loss... I'm sorry to hear this update...... truly! Hugglez to you!!!!!!

I have to agree with Steve and others about doing radio on the regrowth. Age should not be a factor at all and sometimes it is used as a "scare tactic" by those not all that familiar with AN radio treatments.  Actually, the smaller the growth, the easier it is to treat with radio... I've seen Drs Medbery and Spunberg talk about it on the CK forums.

I don't know how to help that sunken feeling in the pit of your stomach, but know that, as always, I'm cheering you on and sending the wellness wishes. Will look for the updates and ... please hang in there.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Nicole12

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2009, 08:49:12 am »
Maybe you could kill it or keep it under control with low dose FRST (fractionated stereotactic radiotherapy) with much fewer side effects than from surgery.  Dr. Gil Lederman does ithis in NYC.  It is still small.   I emailed the doc with a few questions and he answered me (within 6 hours) on his Blackberry!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 11:22:33 am by Joef »
9mm x 3mm AN diagnosed 1/16/09
Watch and wait

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2009, 09:16:22 am »
Well, this is NOT what you wanted to hear from the MRI report!  I am so sorry for the regrowth.  We all know it is a possibility,and always have that worry lurking at the back of our thoughts.  I would definitely look into a low dose radiation type of thing.  I think there are people on the forum who have done that.  Facial nerve......hmm-m-m-m-m.  Wonder how that will work....

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

cheza

• facebook
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2009, 04:04:51 pm »
regrowth

Hi and thank you everyone so much for you kind thoughts and prayers.

Firstly the radiotherapy thing, I am unsure what is available here in the UK on the NHS, I feel that not much was said to me the other day (Thursday) at the hospital one because to be honest nothing much is ever said to you when your on the NHS and also because what ever I have done on the NHS costs ££££££s so their not so quick to give it away, unless absolutely necessary. Talk of GK or CK don't even come into it most of the time you don't get options just recommendations, Unless of course you go private which depending on the answers I get next week, will be under consideration. I intend on calling my Doctors next week, since Thursday questions, questions, questions are popping into my head, I need answers, answers, answers.

For example: why such a sudden regrowth, how common is this with patients who have tumour left after surgery, what size was the tumour after surgery, what are my options for radio therapy, why do I have to wait for radio therapy, why can't they just zap it now, what are the side affects, will it make me infertile.......the list goes on and on.

I need to thank you all again, I know god hasn't deserted me I just wanted someone to blame, I do wonder what it was that I did that was so wrong in my life that it means I'm now being punished, but then I get a grip and try not to think so negatively. Fait has its plan and this must be mine.

Take care guys and I'll keep you posted.

One last thing   "Learn from yesterday, Live for today, and Hope for tomorrow"

Cheryl XxX  :-*