Author Topic: Questions  (Read 2250 times)

cjtender

• My blog
Questions
« on: May 09, 2009, 11:49:45 am »
OK iam 12DPO now and have a few questions?

1.  Anyone have any numbness on their opposite thigh?  I have had the top of my left high numb since the surgery and am not sute if its just from laying on it during the operation or what else it may be.  Once in a while I get like a spider pain and then itching so I am hoping it will resolve.

2.  Still have the "bobble head" not connected feeling to my head?  How long till you felt a little less wobbley?

3.  Insominia---I havenot slept for more than 3-4 hours a night since the surgery and no naps during the day.  I was so exhauseted before the surgery that I could have slept continously and now I can t sleep at all.  Anyone else with this?

I am still taking steroids, prilosec and stool meds for now.  My follow up is on Monday!!
Patty  34 , RN ,  Dx with 3x2cm (plum grape) size AN on 3/6/2009 and ALL  removed-- retosigmoid on 4/28/09 with Selesnick/Gutin at SLoan Kettering in NYC

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
Re: Questions
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 12:40:59 pm »
Hi

To try to answer your questions:  Steroids will induce insomnia.  Very common side effect, and it's no fun.  That should go away after you are done with steroids.  You might ask your doctor if you can take any sleeping aids. It's worth a shot.  I was miserable for a week after my GK because of the steroids and not sleeping.  My sympathies. 

Bobble Head, or Wonky Head as we sometimes call it around here is caused, as you probably know,  by your vestibular nerve being compromised.  Have you read this about your balance system?  Good information, although no cures except time.  Healing for that is very individual.  Just depends on how long your brain needs to figure out that things are different and it has to get all it's cues from your good vestibular nerve, who is doing all the work now.  Poor thing is trying soooo hard!  :)                http://www.hearinglosshelp.com/articles/balancesystem.htm

The pain in the leg is a mystery to me.  Perhaps you pinched a nerve somehow.  Stretching might help.  Lay on your back and bring your legs up to your chest...you know gently stretch out your spine.  Gently...don't want to be the cause of any more problems for you!  ::)  Or, better yet...ask the doctor! 

Hope you feel better soon.

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

nteeman

• Back to Mono
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 12:58:27 pm »
I had a pain on my opposite thigh/hip area. It also felt like a skin burn in the same spot. I thought it might be from the straps that help me on the operating table for 8.5 hours. I had sore biceps as well and these too I attributed to straps holding in position against gravity. The soreness did not start to go away until I was off the steroids. It did take a while to go away but it did.

Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
surgery performed on 1/27/2009 Mt. Sinai Hospital, NYC
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha
9:30am thru 5:50pm
http://www.facebook.com/neal.teeman

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 04:30:49 pm »
Like Sue said, the insomnia is most likely the result of the steroids. 

And, the bobble/wonky head feeling will pass in time.  It generally disappears for the most part, but may reappear on occasion when you are tired or stressed.

I'm almost 2 years post op and I still get wonky-headedness (is that a word??) at times.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Dog Lover

• My little Sammie Roo.
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2009, 09:23:34 pm »
I'm almost 2 years post op and I still get wonky-headedness (is that a word??) at times.

Funny thing -- I was reading a book a few months ago and they actually used the word "wonky" in it. Brittish. Thought it was interesting.
As for a response, I don't think I had steroids after surgery (at least they never told me I did). I did sleep a lot, but only a few hours at a time. I stayed at my folks' house the first week after I was sprung. My dad has weird sleeping habits and is up a lot at 2 or 3AM, so when I was there I would keep him company!

As for it going away...I normally do pretty good and dont' notice it too much anymore unless like Jan, I am very tired, getting sick or if my sinues are bothering me. I can tell I forgot to take my allergy meds this morning. I felt a tinge off all day today and I got plenty of sleep last night.

cathy
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 09:25:16 pm by Dog Lover »
Cathy
9mm x 3mm Left Side AN
Mid Fossa Aug. 21, 2008
Dr. Gantz / Dr. Woodson
Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
No facial issues, hearing saved, I keep active and feel back to normal.

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 07:12:55 am »
I have heard folks talk about strange post-op issues like your leg, so it appears to be common, whatever the explanation.  Hopefully will resolve soon.  Wonky-head feeling will gradually get better but as Jan said, seems to come back from time to time, especially when tired.  Sleep was my biggest issue, but within a couple of weeks it was much better.   All in good time and nothing to be done to rush it.
Best wishes,
Marci

3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

cin605

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2009, 10:17:00 am »
My surgery was 6/08 & i still have a numb spot on my right leg about the size of large coffee cup.Hurts when pressed but no feeling on outside of skin.
Wonky -head dailey.
Insomnia i have had for 15 years.I take lorazepam to sleep through the night.
Your still early in the post-op crap stage.Hang in there!
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old