Author Topic: Back from neurosurgeon and hunting question for hunters  (Read 1914 times)

tenai98

Back from neurosurgeon and hunting question for hunters
« on: May 12, 2009, 01:51:10 pm »
Great visit with the neurosurgeon. He said all looks well...plus he siaid I can drive, fly, or scuba dive..not that I dive but he said I can do whatever I want that I did pre op..yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...so now I am planning a flight out west to meet my new grand daughter who was born Jan 26/09 and I know my son is anxious to see that I'm really ok. Also he said another MRI in 12 months with a follow up visit but I informed him that the ENT already ordered one for 6 months..so now I will see both in six months...I am so happy at the outcome of all of this..When I first logged on and read about the severe headaches, I was so against surgery...then I read more and reseached more and surgery ended up being my choice..funny how things work...As for my job, I will NOT be teaching driver ed incar but will continue with my inclass portion...So I guess I am semi retiring...I'm not gonna complain...living on the water and being semi retired will allow me plenty of time for fishing...as for hunting and balance..I dont know if it a good idea to be walking in bush with a loaded weapon...any hunters out there who continued with the sport or did you have to give it up????   I am so looking forward to getting back inclass in Sept...To all you newbies keep faith  There is life after dx and treatment
JO ;D
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

Kilroy1976

Re: Back from neurosurgeon and hunting question for hunters
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 07:55:20 pm »
I'm sure you know your limitations. If you have any doubt, you probably shouldn't be carrying a weapon. That said, I went hunting on my boat a few months ago and we filled the heavens with lead. As long as a little Romanian guy doesn't fire off a 12-gauge right next to your AN ear, you might do ok. Happy hunting!
1.8cm AN
Linac
December 13, 2005
Shands Hospital--University of Florida

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 07:58:43 pm »
I haven't hunted in years but i'd assume you walk with your weapon on safe? From the sounds of your recovery I'd say it shouldn't present a problem. You could also change the type of hunting you do...use a stand or blind, etc..I changed my hunting to using a camera 25 years ago. I do still shoot target, trap and skeet occasionally though.
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

tenai98

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 05:06:48 am »
Always walk with the safety on...Ya I'm thinking still hunting...or maybe I'll dog...As for fishing I wont be going in the boat without my life jacket on. Even if I fish off my dock ( I live on the water) I'll be wearing jacket which will be tied to the dock for the first few times incase a tug on the line causes me to lose balance and into the fast current waters...I guess knowing limitations are good and working around them is better.
jo ;D
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 03:24:38 pm »
Hi, Jo ~

Thanks for that very positive update from your neurosurgeon.  I guess you're good to go, now.  Congratulations!  That didn't take long!  :)  I'm not a hunter so no opinion on hunting. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 06:48:02 am »
I am so happy at the outcome of all of this..When I first logged on and read about the severe headaches, I was so against surgery...then I read more and reseached more and surgery ended up being my choice..funny how things work...JO ;D

Jo,

I am glad that you have the "green light".  Your post is just a reminder how each outcome is dependent on the tumor's size, location, age and your hearing level.  Looking back, your tumor at .6 x 1.4 was well under 2 cm  mark and the statistics bare out your outcome.  The contradiction for many is that once the tumor is too large, it narrows people's choices and then it also increases the probability for some other side effects. 

Glad you can return to work.   

I am not a hunter so no comment relative to that.

Kate
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/