Author Topic: Catlover´s Postie Story  (Read 30953 times)

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Catlover´s Postie Story
« Reply #105 on: May 30, 2009, 04:17:51 pm »
Helene ....

So good to read your own words ...... Mats, do not get me wrong; we love your humor and delightful story telling .... keep it up!

Helene, it sounds like you are on a normal course of recovery ..... disconnected wonky head and all!  Did your doctor tell you you were SSD or are you just thinking that because you could not hear the tone in the phone?  My doctor said I could expect improvement in my hearing for three months after surgery ...... although I did not see any additional improvement.  I could hear the dial tone with my AN ear immediately after surgery but it was very soft and a different pitch from my other ear ...... rather disconcerting to a musician!  I have ended up with 20% hearing in that ear, plus boosted with a digital hearing aid ..... not as before but enough to be better than SSD.

Just remember recovery is a slooooooowwwwww process and you will see improvement for months (maybe some will say years .... I'm not there yet.), so rest, rest, rest and be patient.

Still think we should all come to Sweden!!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #106 on: May 30, 2009, 06:05:07 pm »
Helene,
Welcome back...We get two (you and Mats) for the price of one AN ;D
You write English well too!

That first time you get to wash your hair will be here before you know it and that gross hair feeling will go away!
Soon.

Kate

« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 06:29:54 pm by Kate B »
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

nteeman

• Back to Mono
« Reply #107 on: May 30, 2009, 06:57:45 pm »
Helene,

It is great to read your posts. Though you still  have some issues it seems like the worst is behind you. Take it a day at a time and keep us posted.

Cheers,

Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
surgery performed on 1/27/2009 Mt. Sinai Hospital, NYC
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha
9:30am thru 5:50pm
http://www.facebook.com/neal.teeman

doinoc

« Reply #108 on: May 30, 2009, 07:09:37 pm »
Helene,  You sound so great.  I can't tell you how much reading your husbands post has meant to me ( mine is totally not typing savy) I'm in decision mode and i was keeping watch on those going into surgery because that will most likely be my decision.  I was feeling your scaredness with you.  and now adrianne just had hers and looks like another great outcome.  I'm feeling more and more confident in my decision.  I'll be keeping your recovery in my prayers.  Love to you from New Jersey USA
Deb

largecat

« Reply #109 on: May 31, 2009, 12:49:48 am »
So, finally...  She is back! Telling her own story. Precise, exact and never OT - the ideal forum member...   ;) Law and order can once again settle in Anausa-land.

Now I can focus on the important things in life...  cooking, cleaning, shopping food...  I will change my signature to "Helene's maid". Is that what is meant by "AN - the gift that keeps on giving"? Jan?  ;D

I will keep a look on things here, mostly to make sure that the plans to rent a plane stays in the fantasy section...  Don't want a busload of halfdeaf medical cases from US stumbling around in our garden.  :o

Ok - something serious: Thanks for listening to me - you WERE a great support for me the first week, to have someone to share the information with, someone that knew what it was like. Somehow "being part of a big group" gives strength to us humans. It is not something I often use or need, I'm kindoff a lone ranger, but this time it sure felt good to share with you. Being a caregiver is a mission, and it is a hard work, mostly mentally. For Helene and me most things went smooth and according to plan, but I can imagine what it is like if/when complications appear.

I better stop before I get sentimental...

As my old buddy Arnold said: "I'll be back!"

Take care!
/mats  - "catlovers" husband

suboo73

« Reply #110 on: May 31, 2009, 05:58:07 am »
Hi Helene!

It was WONDERFUL to read your postings now that you are back!  :)
What great doctors, and such loving support from your family and friends!

Best wishes for continued to healing.  Before you know it, you will be back teaching at school!

---------------------------------
Mats - we appreciate all of your postings, so don't be a stranger.

Take care.
Sincerely,

Sue
suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

Cheryl R

« Reply #111 on: May 31, 2009, 07:47:34 am »
Helene, Good to hear how well you are doing even though to you probably doesn't seem so at times.      The surgery forumites know well how up and down it can be and you have done well.       I have enjoyed knowing you and hearing your pre surgery activity as the ear injections are not the usual way in the US.                    I have enjoying hearing of those from outside the US and seeing your pictures too gives us  info on how it is in other countries.   Plus so pretty.                          A group vist would be so much fun and we are pretty normal people in spite of your husbands funny description of us!       Don't feel like we will actually get to but we sure wish we could.                                 I have a good AN friend here in the midwest whose son is married to a girl from Denmark.             They are living here though which is good as now have a son.     I am sure very hard for the other grandparents.
   You and hubby will have to keep us knowing how it goes as it has been so nice to hear from you both.
                                   I wish you well, Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #112 on: May 31, 2009, 09:14:34 am »
Now I can focus on the important things in life...  cooking, cleaning, shopping food...  I will change my signature to "Helene's maid". Is that what is meant by "AN - the gift that keeps on giving"? Jan?  ;D

I will keep a look on things here, mostly to make sure that the plans to rent a plane stays in the fantasy section...  Don't want a busload of halfdeaf medical cases from US stumbling around in our garden.  :o

You know, that wasn't what I really had in mind when I made up that expression, but it's not a bad interpretation.  Why should Helene have all the "fun" of those "important things in life"?  ;D

Being a caregiver is a mission, and from what I gathered from your posts, you fulfilled your mission very well.  You and Helene are lucky to have each other.

As Sue said, don't be a stranger.

Jan (aka as one of those halfdeaf medical cases from the US)   ;) :D

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

cindyj

« Reply #113 on: May 31, 2009, 10:50:22 am »
Hi, Helene!   So great to "see" you back!  You sound wonderful - know you are very glad to be on the other side of this AN trip!

Hope things continue to improve each day for you...they should :)

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #114 on: May 31, 2009, 02:34:49 pm »
Helene ~

Please accept my just-slightly belated congratulations and welcome back to the AN forums.  It will likely take a few weeks to sort out the various sensations and small deficits you're dealing with but I think you'll be fine, in time.  AN recovery is usually measured in months, not days, and you seem to be recovering well at just 10 days, post-op.  Your husband's updates, jocularity and genial persona were enjoyed by all.  I think you should keep him.   ;)

Now, get the rest you need and post as you're able.  We'll wait for you. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

catlover

• 13 days post-op. I still have my smile!
« Reply #115 on: June 01, 2009, 11:10:59 am »
Hi,
Thanks again for all your posts and Jim I also think I keep my hubby  :D  He is very amusing most of the time and he is my best friend and has always a shoulder left that I can lean on. Often I don't need or want to, but if ... 

Today, I've been walking to town (a half hour's walk) in the heat! It's 30 degrees centigrade* in the shadow here in Sweden today and I wasn't quite prepared for the heat! Luckily, I had water with me  :P  I went to three different places before I could get my stiches out. All had so much to do and I didn't think about making an appointment for taking the staples away. But now it's done and I hope the scar will keep on healing. I don't have the best skin in the world when it comes to healing scars. But we keep our fingers crossed that it will be okey   :)

Another milestone today, I've washed my hair!  It was so lovely and I feel so much better now! What a hair wash can do!  Sending you some pics of my scary scar and my new washed hair later!

Love you all and have a nice day all of you.  Million hugs from Helene.

* 86 degrees Fahrenheit.  J.S.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 02:36:04 pm by Jim Scott »
AN found in February, 2006, size 0,8 cm
Surgery 20th May, 2009, retrosigmoid approach
SSD and balance issues
Forever grateful to Dr Siesjo and Dr Kahlon, University Hospital of Lund, Sweden
Two AN:s found 1st March, 2016
Waiting for GK

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #116 on: June 01, 2009, 08:28:48 pm »
Helene -

two milestones in one day is certainly something to celebrate!!

From what I recall, being able to shampoo for the first time post op was definitely a big treat  ;D

I generally wash my hair daily, and prior to surgery my mom told me that she didn't think I could make it 9 days without shampooing.

Well, although I proved her wrong, it wasn't something I enjoyed proving  ;)  It's amazing how great clean hair can make you feel.

It sounds like your recovery is right on track.  Keep up the good work; you're doing great!

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

largecat

« Reply #117 on: June 02, 2009, 12:14:22 am »
Pic just after staples been removed:

Psst! Helene, you should update your signature...
/mats  - "catlovers" husband

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #118 on: June 02, 2009, 04:49:53 am »
Helene

Looks great! That should heal very nicely and congrats on the hairwashing... nothing like fresh, washed hair to make you feel better!

Mats, next "cocktail" hour, make mine a double, ok? :)

Continued wellness Helene!  Onward and upward and hoping the healing hugglez help!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #119 on: June 02, 2009, 08:08:06 am »
Helene .....

Yup, that looks very familiar (via a mirror!).  Keep it clean and dry and you should heal up nicely.  Thanks to Mats for the picture!

Clarice

Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011