Author Topic: Please pray for my dad  (Read 9787 times)

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
Please pray for my dad
« on: May 21, 2009, 06:10:34 pm »
My dad had mitral valve replacement last August, just a couple of months after my microvascular decompression surgery. He also has COPD. He has never bounced back as any of us, particularly he, would have wished.

He went back into the hospital with breathing problems a couple of months ago, and has been in a nursing home for rehab. Unfortunately he contracted Klebsiella pneumonia and went back to the hospital and now has C. diff as a result of the antibiotics for the pneumonia.

His doctors are planning to try another type of breathing treatment with him -- I'm not sure just what -- but if that fails they will put him on a ventilator. They told my mom tonight if that happens, we will need to prepare for the end.

My dad has lived a good long life (he's 78) and I know he is going to heaven, but I am not ready for him to go. I helped him and Mom find a lovely, handicap accessible house here where I live and I had grand visions of them moving here and caring for them as they grew older. But they have stalled and that is not going to happen, at least for my dad. It's been a hard year -- my husband's father passed away suddenly last October and his brother was killed in an auto accident in March. Complicating matters further, our oldest daughter is scheduled to leave on May 30 for a month long study program in Israel.

I am driving up to see him tomorrow morning after closing chapel at school. Please pray that his closing days are easy and that I accept God's will, whether it be for him to stay or go.

Thanks,
Sara

Quick update: he is on a BPAP machine and was doing well on it as of this afternoon. I should know a little more tomorrow morning. Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 08:03:07 pm by saralynn143 »
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Please pray for my dad
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 06:41:38 pm »
Sara .....

So sorry that things are not turning out as you had planned and hoped.  You and your family will certainly be in my thoughts and prayers as you walk through these troubled days.  May you have peace with whatever lies ahead.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

CROOKEDSMILE

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 07:04:42 pm »
Sara,
I will pray for your Dad. I know how you feel. My Dad has survived Cancer, Heart attack where he was med flighted out of the deer woods (shocked and brought back...blood pressure was 40/0, Tick Fever (nearly died before they diagnosed it), He now has honeycomb of the lungs from environmental exposure...this causes progressive hardening of the lungs and everytime he gets a pneumonia we are terrifed as it is hard for him to get rid of. I tell you these personal things because I do understand your fear. I am best friends with my parents and I adore them. Can't imagine life without them. I do pray for their health and well-being on a daily basis and will include you Dad in my prayers.
Much love,
Angie

suboo73

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 04:51:08 am »
Sara,

I will say prayers for your Dad and totally understand your situation.
My dad had a minor stroke on Wed. morning and is currently in the hospital, doing ok. (84 years old)
He has survived 2 heart attacks, and they put stents in the first time.
He also has mild parkinsons, so rehab will be a challenge.

Fortunately, since i live 4 hours away, i have a wonderful brother and sister who have helped my mom get things settled for the moment.

Go and be with your Dad. 
This will be your gift to him.
We are going for a visit, too.

All my thoughts and prayers are with you and your extended family.
Sincerely,
Sue

suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

Kaybo

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 07:08:59 am »
Sara~
You and your family will definitely be in my prayers...

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

cindyj

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 07:43:15 am »
So sorry, Sara.  Thoughts and prayers certainly with your family...

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 08:54:19 am »
Sara ~

I'm so sorry to learn of this situation with your dad's failing health.  To be honest, I don't think we're ever ready to 'let go' of our loved ones, no matter what their age or whether we feel secure about their eternal life.   

During my AN surgery pre-op tests, I was mistakenly thought to have liver cancer.  I told my wife that I was ready to 'go' if that was God's will for me (I was 63 at the time).  She replied that I may be ready to leave this earth but she wasn't ready to let me go, reminding me, once again, why I love her so much.  Fortunately, a biopsy proved there was no cancer and my AN surgery went well.  I will pray that your dad's doctors are able to restore him and that you can have more time with him.  If, not, I pray that you really will be able to gracefully accept God's will for your father. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2009, 09:01:34 am »
Sara,

Please accept my prayers and wishes for your dad... for you... for your family.  I'm thinking of you all.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Keri

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2009, 08:38:37 pm »
Sara,
You have been through so much. I will be praying for you and your family. I pray the Lord's presence and strength and peace will be evident to you all.

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

lori67

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2009, 09:23:43 am »
Hi Sara. 

I'm so sorry to hear about your dad.  I don't think you're ever ready to accept that they are not well, no matter how old you are.  My dad passed away last year after a long battle with Alzheimer's - and while I know it was best because I didn't want to see him suffer anymore, it didn't make it any easier at first.  It did get better and I do take comfort in the fact that he's free of pain and back to his old self now in a much better place.  It's been almost a year now and although I still miss him, I have all the great memories to keep him close to me.

My mom also had mitral valve replacement last year - it was a long, rocky road after the surgery - many trips back to the hospital, pneumonia a few times, on a ventilator for a few days, etc., but she'd doing really well now.  It just took a while to get to that point.  I hope your dad is able to get through this rough part of the road too.

I'll keep you and your family in my prayers.  Please keep us posted.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2009, 08:36:16 pm »
Thank you all so much. I am up with my mom now. Dad has gone into renal failure and the doctor thinks we can expect three to five days, with less and less consciousness as time goes on. The doctor says it is not a painful way to go.

Dad is still accepting treatment for the renal failure, and is getting pain medication and anti-anxiety medication,  but has decided that he does not want to be ventilated or resuscitated. I can see that he is tired of struggling, and this time there is just too much to fight. All of my siblings were here today with him. At one point my sister overheard a conversation between him and my mom about how much they loved one another and were happy to have been married all of this time (51 years and 9 months as of tomorrow).

I will likely not be on much for the next week or so, but I did want to thank everyone for their kind thoughts, words and prayers.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Kaybo

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2009, 06:20:15 am »
Sara~
Please know that you, your mom and all your family is in my prayers - I know how tough this is for everyone.  i will be praying for PEACE for you all and for your father that this may a quick and painless transition for him.

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

wendysig

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2009, 06:08:08 pm »
Sara,

I ahve not been on much in the last few days but did see your post about your dad.  I am so very sorry you and your family are going through this difficult time.  You have all been in my prayers.

Stay strong,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2009, 06:44:13 am »
Sara,

continued prayers to you all during this time.  My thoughts are with you all....

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

suboo73

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2009, 04:04:48 am »
Thank you all so much. I am up with my mom now.
All of my siblings were here today with him. At one point my sister overheard a conversation between him and my mom about how much they loved one another and were happy to have been married all of this time (51 years and 9 months as of tomorrow).  Sara

Sara, 
Continued thoughts and prayers to you and your extended family.
I am so glad you have this time together.

Sincerely,
Sue
suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W