Author Topic: Link between AN and high blood pressure  (Read 4829 times)

4cm in Pacific Northwest

Re: Link between AN and high blood pressure
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2009, 01:56:18 pm »
Peace Huggles ;D

Thanks for beaNing me up Scotty!

DHM

By the way (Confession oh Father Scotty) I am sipping my 2nd 6 0z of PEET's coffee as I type here (Hey it is a holiday weekend!) ... I still like you even if you drink MORE coffee than anyone I know... Hmmm I wonder how much coffee Michael Gate Gill drinks ...  and for the record I actually like the atmosphere of Starbucks- (the ones I go to here in the Pacific Northwest here are very down-to-earth not pretentious)... even more so since I read Michael's book... I am looking forward to meeting both YOU and Michael in Chicago... I DO hope you are going... maybe we can do coffee ;) :D
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

texsooner

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2009, 02:38:44 pm »
Well said Jim. Add me to the list of pretty healthy folks(even after the AN journey) and I drink several cups of coffee a day.

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2009, 07:01:17 am »
  Since Blood Pressure is controlled by the autonomic nervous system, an AN (or other tumor) that displaces the cerebellum and/or brain stem has at least the potential to affect blood pressure.  Obviously, there are many things that can affect blood pressure.   The medical experts would need to sort out any particular case.
Regards,
  Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

lholl36233

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2009, 03:28:39 am »
When I went back last Thursday, the results of the blood pressure monitor weren't ready so I was like, "Why was the follow up scheduled so soon?"  I should get a phone call this week with the results.  However, when the BP was taken, it was 128/84 which is higher than the doctor would like but certainly better than 150/100.  I think the BP is going down from reducing my sodium intake.  I think if there was a problem, the BP wouldn't be going down without medicine.  It will be checked again at the end of July but the fact that I didn't go home with a prescription for BP medicine made me happy!
Proton Radiation for my hemangioma at MGH December 2009.  Hearing has improved.  Doing great!

suboo73

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2009, 04:32:27 am »
The 3/24 physical it was 150/100.  Giving blood 5/8 it was 110/80.  Follow up at the primary doctor 5/20 it was 140/90 so she wanted to try the 24 hour blood pressure monitor before she put me on pills.  I hope all I have it white coat syndrome but I'll find out 5/28.  Thank you.

Hi lholl36233!

I understand your plight with the high BP - so glad your last reading was lower and no pills!  Yeeaaaa!  ;D
I think before my AN discovery last fall, i could go in a doctor's office or donate blood and have a decent BP reading.
Now mine is running higher, too - and yes, both my parents have high blood pressure.
Anyway, i think i have developed the white coat syndrome.  A little tired of going to doctors, have them poke around, etc., etc.
Dealing with the AN, plus 'female' issues, plus higher cholesterol (getting tested for that regularly) - at this point, right now, i felt like it was time to 'stop the madness' for a little while.  Like taking a break from all the docs, etc.  My dad just had a stroke 2 weeks ago, too - talk about stress!

I have a BP cuff and need to pull it out of the drawer and start using it (my mom said she has white coat syndrome.) 
Also, i DO know i should take it to the docs with me, to see if it reads fairly accurately. 
I will schedule this in alittle while, but not today, not this week - just need a break from it all!

Then maybe i can get back to the other regular screenings i need to schedule. 

Maybe, if i am lucky like you, my BP will come back down and no pills.  I also usually watch the salt intake, but love potatoe chips!  :o

Take care, and let us know about the BP test.
All my best!

Sue

suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

JudyT

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2009, 08:06:18 am »
My blood pressure has gone up since AN treatment. I take Inderal twice a day. 140/88 sometimes lower. At first I thought it was reason for headaches but even when it's lower I still have headache.
Judy

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2009, 05:26:40 pm »

Anyway, i think i have developed the white coat syndrome.  A little tired of going to doctors, have them poke around, etc., etc.
Dealing with the AN, plus 'female' issues, plus higher cholesterol (getting tested for that regularly) - at this point, right now, i felt like it was time to 'stop the madness' for a little while.  Like taking a break from all the docs, etc. 

Sue

SUE,

You have to read this GREAT Dr. Seuss Book

You're Only Old Once! A Book for Obsolete Children

http://www.amazon.com/Youre-Only-Once-Obsolete-Children/dp/0394551907

(I am not promoting Amazon here – just giving you a link that will allow you a looksy-loo inside the book.)

This book helps us to laugh at the poking and prodding of the white coat professionals… and all they put us through. :D

DHM

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!