Author Topic: Let's Roll  (Read 6706 times)

JDJ925

Let's Roll
« on: March 08, 2006, 12:27:21 pm »
I'm going in to the Hospital at 5:30 tomorrow morning. Surgery scheduled for 7:30 am. They have the O.R. reserved for 6 hours; but we've been warned that these procedures can sometimes take 10 hours, and occasionaly up to 13 hours.

I was at TGH for six hours yesterday for pre-op. That consisted of filling out the same information for four different filing clerks, talking to the anesthesiologist & the sugreon's P.A., and giving blood & urine samples. Should've only taken 45 minutes. But I suppose I don't want to start a thread on patients' experiences with the inefficiencies of hospital administration; I fear it would unleash a hurricane of repressed indignation that would overwhelm the levies of self-restraint and submerge us all.

But I digress. When I am able, I will write here to report on the outcome of the surgery. I have been reading what others have written following their operations, and have found it to be extremely helpful in my preparation.

I don't quite know how to express what I'm feeling; but it's as if the life that I have known is ending. That's not necessarily a bad thing. My life will be different, that's all. Kind of like when you move out of a home you've been in for a long time; you don't want to leave the security that comes with familiarity. But, sometimes fate shoves you into a new phase of your life without asking your permission.

See you on the other side.
JD
Translab surgery on 3/9/2006 removed 3.2cm AN right ear
Dr. Harry Van Loveren / Dr. Paul Boyev / Dr. John Susac
Tampa General Hospital

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
Re: Let's Roll
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2006, 12:49:53 pm »
Good Luck JDJ925!!!  I will be showering you with good thoughts!!!!  I'm guessing I'll be doing the same thing you are in early July.  I should find out on the 20th.  I'll be keeping a close eye out for you post-op on the boards.  I'd guess that the life you know isn't ending, it's just a new chapter.  I will happily eat my words after my surgery if what I say now is a hunk of bull since I don't know yet. 

Wishing you and your family/loved ones a good day tomorrow!
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

matti

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2006, 12:53:25 pm »
JD - You are in my thought and prayers. After tomarrow you will be able to put the hardest part of this whole ordeal behind you. You are going into this with the right frame of mind and acceptance that things are going to be a little different. I love your analogy about familiarity, SO TRUE!  

Sending a hug your way and wishes for a speedy recovery.  Keep us posted!

take care,
matti
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

josnik

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2006, 01:32:48 pm »
Best of luck to you--you will be in my thoughts & prayers. I know exactly how you are feeling--my surgery was not that long ago-Feb 17. You will do fine. Trust in your doctors.
Successful translab Feb 17, 2006
2.3cm x 2.8cm left side
Pittsburgh, PA-AGH
Dr Chen & Dr Baghai

Battyp

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2006, 02:10:36 pm »
Best of luck JD.  When you get a chance let us know how you did.  Great analogies!

DeniseSmith

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2006, 03:06:45 pm »
Good Luck!!! I hope your recovery progress' quickly.

Static

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2006, 03:14:32 pm »
Best wishes to you..........you'll be in my thoughts!
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2006, 04:12:48 pm »
JD,

Sending you LOTS of good energy for a successful procedure tomorrow!  You betcha... see you on the other side.. down the hill to recovery!  Be well and hang tough!

Phyllis
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Pembo

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2006, 05:56:51 pm »
Good luck to you!!!! You won't know how long your surgery is but your family sure will. Make sure they know it could take 6 hours or 13! :) See you on the other side in the new normal.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

thecakes

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2006, 11:06:02 am »
   Good luck

meb

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2006, 11:11:37 am »
best of luck tomorrow - we all will be thinking of you and sending lots of strength and prayers

Battyp

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2006, 11:14:12 am »
JD had had his surgery and we are all axniously awaiting news!  He had said he was going to be staying with his parents for a few weeks recovery and didn't know if their computer would work properly to update us....he was like me and had to go across the state for surgery and wanted to be able to handle the trek back across state.  I know he's missing his girls as this was the first time he's been away from his kids...

Ok, we're ready for an update so JD Hurry it up! 

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2006, 12:01:45 pm »
JDJ
I love what you said about fate shoving us into a new phase of our life without asking our permission.  I will definitely be hanging onto that one.
You are in a lot of thoughts and prayers today including mine.

Be strong and be well and give us a post when your head stops spinning!

Love and Good Thoughts
Captain Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

FlyersFan68

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2006, 03:13:11 pm »
Good Luck Today..We''ll Be Right Here Waiting For You "On The Other Side"  :D  Your Courage & Mind Over Matter Attitude Will Help You Overcome All Obstacles. Love Your Title "Let's Roll" ... I'm Really Looking Forward To Hearing From You Again But In The Meantime Take Good Care Of Yourself And "Roll With It".

Bob M

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2006, 08:17:04 pm »
Good luck JD with your surgery. I will keep you in my prayers!