Author Topic: Should Neurontologists have same experince as Neurosurgeon?  (Read 3274 times)

nycnewbie

Hey Everyone,
I need your responses and thoughts. Do you believe the Neurontologist should have has many AN surgeries under their belts as neursurgeons.
This is my dilemna. I really like Johns Hopkins. Dr Carey, Neurontologist, is awesome but only does 4-9 a year. The Neurosurgeon, Tamargo, on the other hand has done hundreds and does about 1-2 a week. Should both have equal experience or is it most important for Neurosurgeon?
Serena

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
Re: Should Neurontologists have same experince as Neurosurgeon?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 10:41:08 am »
Serena,

I can speak only for myself, but I would want significant experience for both disciplines.  Neurosurgery is just as delicate as radiosurgery and should be treated as such.  Granted the computer does the mapping and firing of the radiation for the most part in radiosurgery, but there's a reason those doctors get paid so much.  They actually do something in the process, so it would be important to me that they are experienced doing what they do with AN's specifically.

Btw, hello again.  :)

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 10:42:25 am »
Serena ......

I really do not know anything about neurontologists in general but I do know that I personally would want to have the physician/surgeon with the most extensive successful AN surgeries as possible.  IMO bedside manners are important but to me not as important as skill when entering my brain.  I'm not sure neurontologists vs. neurosurgeons is the issue here.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

nycnewbie

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 10:46:20 am »
I tend to agree with you on skill vs. being a super nice doctor. I believe JH is top notch, but Neurosurgeon and Neurontologist at Cornell seem to both have a lot more experience with ANs but not super nice dudes.

Serena ......

I really do not know anything about neurontologists in general but I do know that I personally would want to have the physician/surgeon with the most extensive successful AN surgeries as possible.  IMO bedside manners are important but to me not as important as skill when entering my brain.  I'm not sure neurontologists vs. neurosurgeons is the issue here.

Clarice

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 03:11:52 pm »
I stand somewhat corrected.  I thought you mistyped the question, so I answered what I thought it was.  But, you didn't mistype.

If it helps, I found this:

"Otology is a branch of medicine which studies normal and pathological anatomy and physiology of the ear (hearing and vestibular sensory systems and related structures and functions) as well its diseases, diagnosis and treatment.  Oto- is the greek root word for ear and -ology refers to the study of something.  The Otologist is primarily a surgeon, but many disorders of the ear are helped with only medical treatment.  The Otologist sees patients who have infections, deafness, dizziness or people who need ear reconstruction.

Neurotology is closely related to Otology but adds the training and skill to operate within the skull on the parts of the brain and neurvous system related to hearing and balance.  Neurotologists operate on acoustic neuromas, glomus tumors and other conditions found deep in the skull. Neurotologists also perform cochlear implantation surgery."

(Souce:  http://www8.utsouthwestern.edu/utsw/cda/dept28171/files/268663.html)

To me, it would seem that both disciplines could handle doing an AN surgery given that they have extensive experience dealing specifically with AN surgeries.  1-2 surgeries a week sounds much better than 4-9 a year.  At least it does to me.  :)

Regards,
Brian

Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

nycnewbie

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 04:32:55 pm »
Brian,
What I am saying is that they both work together in surgery as a team. What I meant is that what if the neurosurgeon on the team is well experienced, but the ent is not??!!

I stand somewhat corrected.  I thought you mistyped the question, so I answered what I thought it was.  But, you didn't mistype.

If it helps, I found this:

"Otology is a branch of medicine which studies normal and pathological anatomy and physiology of the ear (hearing and vestibular sensory systems and related structures and functions) as well its diseases, diagnosis and treatment.  Oto- is the greek root word for ear and -ology refers to the study of something.  The Otologist is primarily a surgeon, but many disorders of the ear are helped with only medical treatment.  The Otologist sees patients who have infections, deafness, dizziness or people who need ear reconstruction.

Neurotology is closely related to Otology but adds the training and skill to operate within the skull on the parts of the brain and neurvous system related to hearing and balance.  Neurotologists operate on acoustic neuromas, glomus tumors and other conditions found deep in the skull. Neurotologists also perform cochlear implantation surgery."

(Souce:  http://www8.utsouthwestern.edu/utsw/cda/dept28171/files/268663.html)

To me, it would seem that both disciplines could handle doing an AN surgery given that they have extensive experience dealing specifically with AN surgeries.  1-2 surgeries a week sounds much better than 4-9 a year.  At least it does to me.  :)

Regards,
Brian

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 05:23:38 pm »
You just ask them who does the actual delicate work of taking out your tumor! 

Sue in VAncouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

nycnewbie

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 05:32:48 pm »
Thanks Sue,
Anyone else?

You just ask them who does the actual delicate work of taking out your tumor! 

Sue in VAncouver USA

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 10:59:16 pm »
Serena -

just want to clarify.  Are you talking about a neurotologist?  I'm thinking "neurontologist" is just a typo?

Obviously you want someone with experience, but I'm not sure if it's necessary that the neurotologist and neurosurgeon have done the same number of procedures.  I think I'd make sure they both have a "decent" number of procedures, but IMO it's equally important that they have worked together as a team on a regular basis.  I know my neurotologist (as well as the other doctor in his practice) only work with one neurosurgeon; same goes for the radiation oncologist they do GK with.   From my understanding, they want the best neurosurgeon or radiation oncologist they can have - just as much as their patients want this.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

moe

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2009, 10:33:45 pm »
Serena,
IMO it is important that the neurotologist has a lot of surgeries under his belt.
The neurosurgeon is responsible for opening the skull (ughh that sounds horrible) and the neurotologist does the bulk of the AN surgery with the neurosurgeon's assist.
That was the case in my surgery anyway.The neurosurgeon was there to "help"
Hope this helps.
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2009, 02:44:40 pm »
Serena ~

My AN surgery was performed by 2 neurosurgeons, working as a team.  A neurotologist was not involved.  However, both surgeons had extensive experience performing AN resections.  One had over 30 years experience, the other, his 'protege', was a board-certified neurosurgeon working under the senior neurosurgeon's close supervision.  Both did an excellent job.  Three months later, the senior neurosurgeon worked closely with a very talented radiation oncologist to 'map' my FSR treatments, which were also successful.  This just amplifies the previous comments that any doctor involved in AN removal surgery should definitely have extensive experience with the procedure.

Jim
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 02:46:22 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.