Author Topic: Need prayers  (Read 4167 times)

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
Need prayers
« on: June 06, 2009, 05:31:27 am »
I know all of you are great with prayers and my family needs a bunch right now.  I am very fortunate to have two fathers-in-law.  The Kansas one had a stroke yesterday and is in the hospital in Kansas.  The Florida one has bladder cancer (three tumors) and is awaiting a surgery date.  The Kansas one is 86 and in frail health anyway and not doing well, the one in Florida is 74 and is diabetic.  This is my husbands busy time of the year at work and vacations are not allowed.  He is very torn which way to go.  The one in Kansas is his step father and the one in Florida is his Dad.  He is close to both.  My knees are worn out from praying, but I continue.
Thanks,
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Kaybo

Re: Need prayers
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 06:54:52 am »
Brenda~
Got cha covered...prayers coming your way...

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 07:12:22 am »
Brenda ....

Having lived far away from both my parents and parents-in-law during their final days, I can appreciate the awful conflict one feels ..... wanting to be where you cannot be.  My thoughts and prayers are with you and your husband.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

suboo73

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 07:50:07 am »
Brenda, 

I am so sorry to hear about both your father-in-laws being sick at the same time....
I know it is hard to make a decision about traveling if time does allow, let alone during a busy time of year.

My dad had a stroke on May 20th.  Two of my siblings are able to keep us updated by e-mail/phone, which is really nice, and such a blessing.
Although we are only 4 hours away by car, alot can happen in 4 hours.  I was comforted by the updates and knowing that my dad was pretty well cared for in the hospital.  Now he is in acute rehab, and making progress at 84 years old.

I will send prayers to you and your husband as well as your father-in-laws.
And i hope that you and your husband have a chance to visit with both in the near, future.

Take care, and send updates when you can.
Continued prayers.

Sue
suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 10:30:30 am »
Hey Brenda,

Prayers on on their way for guidance, support,and comfort for all involved.  Keep us posted on the outcomes.  Having loved ones far from home can be complicated when issues like this arise.

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009, 11:58:33 am »
Gosh Brenda I do feel for you, since my father-in-law is terminal also.  I'm just a 20 min drive from him.  You and your husband are in my thoughts and prayers. 

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009, 02:14:31 pm »
Brenda ~

I understand your husband's feeling of abandoning his father(s) when he's needed, even when it isn't deliberate and can't be avoided.  My father died 7 years ago, at age 91, in a nursing home in Florida, 1000 miles from me, where he had moved decades earlier.  My mother died 31 years ago, in a hospital in Manhattan, 90 miles away.  She'd suffered a stroke.  I lived in Connecticut (still do) and had visited her in the hospital but couldn't get extended time off to stay with her.  I had a family to support and couldn't risk losing my job.  A second stroke was the cause of her death.  Tough situation - and I felt bad in each instance, especially with my mother.  Fortunately, my younger sister lived in Manhattan and was able to visit our mother frequently.  She was the one who called me with the news of her passing.

My philosophy, based on my Christian beliefs, is that God has a plan for our lives and that includes our death, which is guaranteed - because we're mortal beings.  Put succinctly: when it's a person's time to leave this earth, there isn't much anyone can do about it.  However, those of us who love another, be it spouse, parent, child, sibling or friend, still feel the anguish of the permanent separation that death brings for those of us still living.  I believe that God hears prayer and that even aged people with serious medical problems can be spared, for a time.  On that basis, I'm pleased to offer prayer for your husband's father and step-father, that they may live.  I 'll also pray that your husband can be allowed to visit them (at least one) and also that he can find solace in the fact that God knows his heart and that he would be there (with them) if he could.  Prayers for you too, Brenda, for strength and the ability to support your husband during this trying time as you deal with your own (physical) issues. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Brendalu

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2009, 02:18:28 pm »
Thanks all.  The latest update on the Kansas father in law is that it was a frontal lobe stroke.  The Florida father in law is visiting his kids who are closer by than us.  My husband has used his cell phone more in the past two days than he has the entire time he has had it!
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Brendalu

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2009, 02:23:33 pm »
Jim,

I think we must have quite a bit more than AN's in common!!  Thank you for your prayers.  They are appreciated.  I agree that each of has a time slot and when that time is reached it is time to say good bye.  I know what it is like to lose a parent without being able to be there (I wasn't there for either of mine) and I hope it isn't the same for my husband.  I lost my Mom two years ago, she died from a stroke in Florida and my Dad passed away twenty-three years ago from a heart attack.
Many thanks,
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2009, 03:34:20 pm »
Dearest Brenda, having lost my father-in-law in October and my dad last weekend, I can relate to the situation now facing you and your husband. I am certain that God has heard your prayers and will give guidance and comfort to you both in this difficult time.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Brendalu

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2009, 09:04:11 pm »
Sara,
Please accept my deepest sympathy for the loss of you Dad.  Thank you for your prayers.  I will add you to mine.
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2009, 05:19:23 am »
Brenda,

You KNOW I send my wishes to both of them .... as well as prayers for them and you all.  I know your husband is torn right now and you all can only do so much.  Please hang in there and please keep us updated.

Puggle hugglez
xoxo
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

moe

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2009, 09:43:03 am »
Brenda,
Prayers go out to you and your family. You say you have 2 father-IN LAWS? Cell phone communication is great, and we didn't have that luxury years back, so that is a great way to really stay in touch through all of this.
I'm also praying that these 2 fellas will be around and that your husband will have the chance to visit when he can get the time.
Jim, I love your words of wisdom. Are you a pastor on the side? ;)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

wendysig

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2009, 10:00:05 am »
Brendalu,

I'm so sorry to hear about your fathers-in-laws illnesses.  You know you and your family are in my prayers.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2009, 04:28:29 pm »
Jim, I love your words of wisdom. Are you a pastor on the side? ;)

Thanks, Maureen.  Actually, I'm a Deacon.  Does that count?  ;)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.