Author Topic: So how long did it take to get your "date"?  (Read 4527 times)

Jeepers

So how long did it take to get your "date"?
« on: June 08, 2009, 10:29:42 am »
I'm antsy.

And I don't want to call the dr.'s office and pester them.

I was in to see the doc and agreed to go ahead w/surg the week before last. The gal who schedules was out most of last week, but I was hoping to hear from her either last Fri or maybe early this week.

I know we're only 3+ hrs into "early this week" ... but I jump each time the phone rings. :D

So ... when do you think she'll call??

Impatiently,
Jeepers
Diagnosed 2003-right side-1cm AN
Wait and watch for 6 yrs; 2009 showed growth w/balance issues
Translab 7/9/09 - Drs. Battista/Kazan (Hinsdale IL); SSD
Recovering well!

Darlene

Re: So how long did it take to get your "date"?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 11:07:59 am »
I would expect a call very soon, I was given a couple of dates based on both surgeons schedule.  I took a day to think about the best time for our family, but then scheduled it.  All total under a week to schedule surgery.   It seems like such a momentus occassion for us but for the people scheduling, it is just another brain surgery.  I am not trying to say they don't recognize how significant it is to us but we must remember they do this day in and day out.   I guess it is all perspective.   

Good Luck with your date and I am saying a little prayer right now that you get the call within the next few hours!   Good luck &
take care,
Darlene
DX: 12/6/08
1.4cm intracanicular -Middle Fossa Surgery on 7/1/09 @ NYU. Hearing preserved and speech discrimination has actually gotten better!!   Temporary Facial Paralysis- showing improvement.  1yr post-op hearing test- same 96% speech recognition- yeah!

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 02:50:00 pm »
I would just call.  My neurosurgeon's assistant is totally dysfunctional.  His patients have to be proactive or nothing happens.
Good luck!
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 03:41:40 pm »
Jeepers ~

I'm with NancyMc on this one.  Receiving your surgery date is very important to you and calling the doctor's office to get this critical  information is hardly 'pestering' them.  My surgeon made the arraignments while I was in his office.  He had to line up his 'team' (that was fairly easy) and reserve an OR.  Doctors have a lot of clout in hospitals - and I had a firm surgery date within an hour.  I trust your doctor is equally efficient and you'll have your date within the next 24 hours.  Calling your doctor's office may even expedite the procedure.  Good luck!  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Jeepers

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 08:15:21 pm »
Well ... that's JUST what I'm gonna do! I did not get a call today.  >:(
Tomorrow morning, I'll be on the horn to her.

Thanks!
Recovering well!

kabby

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 09:28:10 pm »
I waited ten days for the call with the date after which I ended up calling them.  The secretary just hadn't gotten to it yet.  She told me then I would have to wait until the next day and asked if I had any preference.  I told her I wanted to wait until after my 30th wedding anniversary in June but since I was getting anxious I would take an earlier date.  The next day she called and left a message that the date would be July 29th because both surgeons would be going on vacation in the early part of July.  It's a long way off and I am getting pangs of anxiety now and then, but the date actually works out incredibly good for me.  I wonder though, if I hadn't called them if they ever would have called me!  DEFINITELY CALL THEM! 

KABBY
Right side AN 2.8 x 1.8  SSD
Diagnosed 2003-Watch & wait until 3/09
Looks like it's gonna be translab

joebloggs

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 05:29:57 am »
I got my surgery date at my first consultation with my neurosurgeon and ENT surgeon.  In the end it got brought forward by a week - but I wasn't complaining... it meant I didn't have to have surgery the day before my birthday!  I would defo ring them... you need to know.
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

Jeepers

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2009, 07:35:01 am »
[tappingfingers] Still waiting ... [/endtappingfingers]

Actually, I finally did get to speak with the scheduling gal yesterday. She was supposed to get back to me before 5pm with some dates. I had to go out last night and there was a message from her around 7:30p that she has some dates and we'll touch base sometime this afternoon to, hopefully, get this set.

She was extremely nice and, I felt, competent, when we spoke yesterday, which was very reassuring. Of late, I've had a long run of crappy drs. and their office staff (not related to the AN). It's good to know the gang associated with drilling into my noggin are pleasant and on their toes.   :)
Recovering well!

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2009, 09:39:11 am »
*scratches head... confused to why the delay.... itches nose..... wrinkles single eye brow....*

Hmmmmmmm.... hoping you get the date soon... I'd keep bugging them, but that's just my opinion.... my body, I would want to know.

I know of many that have run into front desk issues with dr's offices *looks around for the MGH patients.....* and can well understand....

Hang in there.

*breaks fingernail on keyboard...*

dang.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

epodjn

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2009, 03:05:59 pm »
I had appointments with several doctors to get second and third opinions. When I finally decided on surgery I had an appointment the same day. I would keep calling them. Seems like a fairly simple thing to ask. It is their job, after all.
Left side 3.2cm AN/FN removed 12/8/08 Dr's. Shelton and Reichman. SSD, facial paralysis,taste issues, lateral tarrsoraphy 6/25/09,scheduled for eye and nasal valve surgery 6/22/11 life is GOOD!

MissMolly

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2009, 05:13:05 pm »
Bugging is good.  Squeaky wheel and all...

Molly
Diagnosed 3/09 1.1cm tumor - 4/17/09 - had grown to 1.2
Age 61 - married with three adult kids
MidFossa surgery completed June 22nd
Mass General/Mass Eye and Ear - Martuza and McKenna
The tumor has grown back.  Now working with Mass General.  Dr. Loeffler feels I am not a candidate for proton beam.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2009, 05:51:50 pm »
Jeepers -

if you're dealing with Diana, you have nothing to worry about - she's definitely on the ball.

In fact she's usually so good, that for a while there, I took to asking for her every time I called Chicago Ear - regardless of what I needed because I knew she would get things done.

I think her job is technically to schedule the surgeries, but I found her more than willing to go outside the box when I needed her to.

Scheduling AN surgery can be a tricky thing - they have to coordinate the schedules of two doctors (and of course, then there's you  ;) ), plus make sure the hospital has an OR and a room for you post-op.  Hinsdale Hospital is a very small place.  I don't know how many ORs they have, but I think they only have about 350 beds.  One of the nice advantages of that though, is you get a private room which is a great perk.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2009, 06:52:33 pm »
Any news yet?
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

Jeepers

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2009, 07:50:24 pm »
Yep!  Wooo-hoo   :)   :(   :o   :'(

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=9821.0

I got the word on Wed. It will be July 9. I'm going in for my preop testing this Monday.

Thanks for all the positive vibes!

Jan - Angela is the gal I was dealing with. She was very nice once I reached her. Problem was she was on vacation the entire week after I met with Dr. B and gave the go ahead. You're right, though, I think there are three schedules they have to coordinate. I was hoping for July 2. Dr. B was available, but Dr. K wasn't ... so we locked in on July 9.

I'm a volunteer at the Hinsdale Humane Society across the street and my fellow critter caretakers are trying to plot a "therapy kitten" visit.  ;D
Recovering well!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2009, 08:09:44 pm »
Jeepers .....

Less than 4 weeks away ...... yeah!  It should be a tremendous relief to have a time schedule.  Now you can concentrate on doing some fun things pre-op, as well as prepare some things for the immediate post-op time to make your recovery easier.

My thoughts and prayers.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011