Author Topic: Getting closer to surgery  (Read 5771 times)

Donna R

Getting closer to surgery
« on: June 16, 2009, 01:48:59 pm »
Well, here I am six days until the 22nd...I'm very anxious, nevous, scared...but at the same time, iit will be a relief to have it over with...hopefully no more vertigo after the surgery...that has been the hardest for me. I will let you all know how things go when I am able to get back on the forum..thank you for all of the info and the good thoughts that I have gotten! You have all been so helpful in getting me through all of this!

--Donna
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 01:51:54 pm by Donna R »

epodjn

Re: Getting closer to surgery
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 01:56:08 pm »
Those days before surgery are a little nerve racking. . .but it will be ok. Enjoy your family, friends, and relax a little if you can. We will all be praying for you. I will remember your surgery date because it's also the day I go to a new neurologist, so I'll be thinking of you. Hang in there.
Left side 3.2cm AN/FN removed 12/8/08 Dr's. Shelton and Reichman. SSD, facial paralysis,taste issues, lateral tarrsoraphy 6/25/09,scheduled for eye and nasal valve surgery 6/22/11 life is GOOD!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 02:45:40 pm »
Donna .....

Try to keep as busy as you can ...... helps to get things done, as well as makes the time go faster ...... but at the same time concentrate on relaxing as much as you can ..... that sounds like a conflict but it really isn't.

Is there anyone who can post for you for a few days to let us know how you are doing after surgery?

My thoughts and prayers are with you!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

MissMolly

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 03:10:33 pm »
I am so with you, Donna.  The six days and counting thing...the hoping the vertigo will resolve after surgery...  This is tough.  I 'm hoping that I can keep busy enough to keep my mind off things so time will go quickly.  Keep in touch.  Molly
Diagnosed 3/09 1.1cm tumor - 4/17/09 - had grown to 1.2
Age 61 - married with three adult kids
MidFossa surgery completed June 22nd
Mass General/Mass Eye and Ear - Martuza and McKenna
The tumor has grown back.  Now working with Mass General.  Dr. Loeffler feels I am not a candidate for proton beam.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 03:13:12 pm »
Hi, Donna ~

The dichotomy between AN patient's pre-surgery anxiety and a sense of relief is common and quite natural, for some of the reasons you gave, including your expectation of your vertigo being resolved.   I'm pleased to learn that the forums have been a help to you.  We aim to please!  :)

Prayers and warm, positive thoughts will be with you - all day - next Monday.  Stay positive.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 07:33:23 pm »
Donna -

waiting can be hard, but trying to focus on the confidence you have in your doctor(s) can help a lot.

As Jim mentioned, we're all sending positive vibes, good thoughts, and prayers your way.

You'll get through this and be a postie before you know it.

Chin up,

Jan   
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 07:35:34 pm »
Keeping busy definitely helps...I made a LONG to do list and I'm still working on it with less than 12 hours to go. Good luck Monday.
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

Donna R

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 08:46:22 pm »
Thank you so much...yes, Clarice, my husband Pat will update everyone after surgery.

--Donna

Vivian B.

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2009, 05:07:05 am »
Hi Donna,

Just wanted to wish you best of luck on your surgery and a speedy recovery.

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

Mickey

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2009, 09:01:34 am »
Prayers are with you for a speedy recovery! Best wishes, Mickey

alwaysthere

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2009, 09:58:33 am »
Donna,
 I know how you feel right now. My surgery is June 25th. I didn't think it was bothering me, but the last few days I have been sick to my stomach. I think it is just nerves. I am trying to stay busy getting things done around the house. Today I'm baking cookies to take with us for the waiting room, nurses, etc. We leave on Monday morning since I'm having surgery a 10hr drive from home. Then do all my pre-op the day before. I am so ready for all this to be over.

Good luck and I'll be sending prayers up for you and everyone else who is having surgery.

Patty
Diagnosed 1/09 1.6cm left side
5/09 2cm
hearing & balance problems
Surgery Date June 25, 2009 St. Mary's Hospital in Rochester, Mn
Surgery went great, can still hear!!!!

"This too shall come to pass and life will go on"

heyct

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2009, 12:14:16 pm »
Hi Donna,

I remember the feelings. Just try to relax. Do whatever you can to bring yourself into a calm state. I won't bother everyone w/all the new age stuff I've gotten into lately....hey, it worked, is working for me....I was surprised when talking to by girlfriend who does excellent "body work" ie massage. I was telling her about everything I was doing. She is NOT into newage  stuff at all. She concurred that, "Anything that can bring you into a heightened state of relaxation, whether it be prayer, massage (I wish I could afford more!), meditation...etc.. helps the body heal.

That's my two cents!
Peace,
Carolyn
Diagnosed 2/09
9 x 6mm
Translab Surgery: 5/20/09, Stanford..it was a Hemangioma!
Almost complete removal, will have to do update MRIs.
BAHA Ponto Pro 5/9/11

doinoc

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2009, 08:23:51 pm »
Prayer for you...............May the Lord bless you and keep you
                                    may His face shine upon you and be gracious to you
                                    show you His kindness and give you peace
                                    and to your surgical team also!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can I hear an AMEN

Jeepers

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2009, 09:44:57 am »
Good luck, Donna!  :)
Diagnosed 2003-right side-1cm AN
Wait and watch for 6 yrs; 2009 showed growth w/balance issues
Translab 7/9/09 - Drs. Battista/Kazan (Hinsdale IL); SSD
Recovering well!

Lilan

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2009, 06:47:25 pm »
Donna, best of luck. Soon this will be a memory! It's a great time to call on everyone in your life to do what they can -- pray with you, spy on your dog walker, send cheery notes on Facebook -- every bit of it helps keep you feeling connected and whole. And of course knowing that a forum-full is pulling for you!
Facial nerve hemangioma. Probable dx 7/2008 confirmed 4/2009. Combo middle fossa and translab to remove the blood vessel malformation and snip ruined hearing and balance nerves by Drs. House and Brackmann @ House 6/2009. Doing great!