Author Topic: Stoneaxe's Update  (Read 47877 times)

joebloggs

Re: Stoneaxe's Update
« Reply #120 on: June 26, 2009, 09:19:35 pm »
Sounds like you're doing really well.  Glad the headaches are under control - that's really important.  It's hard to feel good when your head is pounding eh?  I got that weird stabbing pain while I was still in hospital - it's weird isn't it?  At least it doesn't last very long.

Anyway glad you're doing so well - maybe you should get a lock on the fridge??!!
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

moe

« Reply #121 on: June 26, 2009, 10:47:01 pm »
Bob,
I sense progress! Maybe you will paddle after all!
Still listen to your body. It will tell you when you over do it.
Keep the faith with the face and smile. It'll be back.
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #122 on: June 26, 2009, 10:59:38 pm »
Stone -

nice scar.  I like JB's shark bite idea - very credible.

Sounds like you're making great progress.  You'll be back to paddling in no time  ;)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #123 on: June 27, 2009, 04:38:42 pm »
Mowed the lawn today..5,000 sq/ft or so with a push mower. Felt great to be productive. Then I had a nice long nap in my hammock... ;). Going to get started on a couple of woodworking projects this week. Some new paddles and a surfboard (a first) for a friend.

There is no question about me paddling the CCBC in August! That's an absolute! Seeing Dr. McKenna on Monday to have stitches removed. Going to get word then about how quickly I can get back on the water.
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

Kathy M

• Kathy
« Reply #124 on: June 27, 2009, 04:48:18 pm »
I'm glad to see you're doing so great.  I loved the picture  - what a beautiful scar!!  Once you get those stiches out, it's amazing how quickly it will fade.  Good luck on your projects.  Kinda nice to have some time to devote to things you otherwise just can't work in!!

Kathy
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #125 on: June 27, 2009, 04:49:21 pm »
Stone -

I can still recall the first time I mowed the lawn post op.

My yard isn't nearly as big as yours, but I got so dizzy  :P

Congratulations on this milestone.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

joebloggs

« Reply #126 on: June 28, 2009, 07:49:54 am »
I'm going down to the bookies to place a bet you'll be on the board in 2 or 3 weeks..... I went out for about 45 mins today and thought of you - I sent you all my best paddling vibes - admittedly they're not very good but they're something!!  I saw three jellyfish today too - a good incentive not to fall off!

Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

stoneaxe

• Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #127 on: June 29, 2009, 05:04:04 pm »
Stitches out, facial weakness continues. Dr McKenna still assures me it should return completely. Got some ointment for my eye. Balance continues slow improvements. Interesting this time the balance is continuous/consistant. It used to vary a lot. I think getting rid of the nerve is going to be a good improvement.

Next appointment is July 13th...I'm hoping for the go ahead to hit the water then.
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.

Keri

« Reply #128 on: June 30, 2009, 09:24:22 am »
Good for you, Bob. You're doing great! Hope you can hit the water soon!

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #129 on: June 30, 2009, 03:56:11 pm »
Bob ~

Kudos on your excellent recovery and positive attitude.  I strongly believe that being motivated to get back to doing the things you love can be an immense help in recovery, assuming the physical ability is there.  I couldn't paddleboard to save my life and have no interest in trying (sorry) but I did other things post-op that challenged me and, I believe, helped me recover faster than I may have, otherwise.  I can't prove that but I believe it, based on mine and other AN post-op patient's accounts of running half-marathons, biking, etc. weeks after surgery.   

I know I join many others rooting for you to 'hit the water' in a few more weeks as well as recover your full facial mobility.  I know you'll do it, too.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Seal

« Reply #130 on: July 01, 2009, 07:49:11 am »
Hi Bob,

Things are looking good, and as Jim says, the progress you make will depend on yourself and the motivation that you have to get back on the water.    Be sure not to overdue it of course, and listen to your body when it calls for nap time.    The naps though will get shorter and shorter.    I saw a big difference in strength and endurance on weeks four through six.    Hopefully, you will follow the same track; as they say, your mileage may vary.      Now I'd better get back on that training schedule soon or you'll be overtaking me in the recovery department!     Glad to  hear you're doing well!

Best regards,
Steve
Diagnosed 1/14/09 - 2.4cm AN right side --- about 70% cycstic
Retrosigmoid wiih McKenna & Barker - total removal successful on April 13th. 
Issues: balance, facial & mouth numbness, hearing loss right side
Results:   numbness gone, balance is good, SSD right side. Great results.

Tumbleweed

« Reply #131 on: July 02, 2009, 01:42:05 am »
Bob, I love your attitude. You are an inspiration to us all. Keep getting well.

Best wishes,
TW
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

tsl

« Reply #132 on: July 02, 2009, 09:50:39 am »
Hi Bob,
I've been away from my computer for a few days and have just caught up on your progress.  Picture makes you look like a rugged Bruce Willis!

It's good to hear that you've come thru the rough patch.  I know that THE BOSS is taking good care of you.  Recovering from this type of surgery is hard.  I'm glad that Dr. McKenna says that your face will return to its pre-surgery look.  He has done so many of these surgeries he knows.
Take care,
Theresa (tsl)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 12:05:02 pm by tsl »
AN diagnosed Dec 2006
Approx. size 9 x 6  x 4 mm
Proton Beam radiosurgery wtih Dr. Jay Loeffler (radiation oncologist) and Dr. Paul Chapman (neurosurgeon) at Mass. General on Nov.2, 2007

stoneaxe

• Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #133 on: July 08, 2009, 07:34:46 pm »
Latest update: Things are proceeding very smoothly. I think my balance is better than before surgery already. PT says I'm doing so well she's changing it to one day/week. No headaches...off all drugs except occasional ibuprofen for swelling. Double vision almost completely gone. Things still do get a bit fuzzy as I get tired. I think I'm ready to get back into the world. I can drive without problem most of the time. My face is still unmoving but I've seen improvement in my eye for sure. Face looks a little less droopy according to Sue.

I have to say I'm very pleasantly surprised by how good I feel. Life is Good!

nteeman

• Back to Mono
« Reply #134 on: July 09, 2009, 06:37:48 am »
Bob,

Good to read that you are coming along. Everyday it gets better and better.

Cheers,
Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
surgery performed on 1/27/2009 Mt. Sinai Hospital, NYC
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha
9:30am thru 5:50pm
http://www.facebook.com/neal.teeman