Author Topic: Endoscopic Surgery  (Read 2983 times)

Islander

Endoscopic Surgery
« on: June 19, 2009, 03:52:50 pm »
 I have an MRI this Tuesday and fearing the worst I was researching different surgical options. To me it seems like the endoscopic route would be the way to go. Especially reading the results of some of the forum members that went that route. Would any of you please share any information you have on if medical insurance covers this procedure and if people retained some of their hearing after? I apologize if this topic has already been covered, If so please point me to the appropriate forum page.

I have to say, I am completely freaked out by the other procedures and finally calmed down some when I read about the endoscopic method. It must be a lot newer since websites don't really make mention of it.

Hope everyone is getting started on a wonderful weekend!

Dog Lover

• My little Sammie Roo.
Re: Endoscopic Surgery
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 08:46:48 pm »
Hi. I know how you're feeling. I was totally freaked out at the surgical options when I was first doing my research and was convinced that I was going to do GK, until I talked to my doc - who ended up being my surgeon.

I don't know much about this procedure other than what I've read others say on the topic, so I'll leave that to someone who has more information. I do want to point out though, that having surgery does not mean you automatically lose your hearing. That depends on a lot of things, tumor size, location, stickiness and doctor's skill.  :D

Cathy
Cathy
9mm x 3mm Left Side AN
Mid Fossa Aug. 21, 2008
Dr. Gantz / Dr. Woodson
Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
No facial issues, hearing saved, I keep active and feel back to normal.

Islander

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 07:37:23 am »
It's nice to know that there is a small chance some hearing can be saved! Do you experience Tinnitus now post-op? Thanks for taking the time to reply Cathy! :)

Dog Lover

• My little Sammie Roo.
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 12:41:31 pm »
Yeah, I have tinitus, but it really doesn't bother me. I had it for about 2 yrs before I got diagnosed. Immediately after surgery it was louder, but it settled down shortly afterwards back to normal. It's always there, I just normally don't even notice it.

Cathy
Cathy
9mm x 3mm Left Side AN
Mid Fossa Aug. 21, 2008
Dr. Gantz / Dr. Woodson
Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
No facial issues, hearing saved, I keep active and feel back to normal.

tenai98

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2009, 12:45:22 pm »
I had tinnitus prior to surgery but almost none since. What I do get is an odd buzzing sound (like electricity going thru a wire) but only once in awhile.
JO ;D
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2009, 12:45:40 pm »
Islander ~

Here is a link to the Skull Base Institute's website, taking you to the page that deals with AN surgery (endoscopic).  http://www.skullbaseinstitute.com/acoustic-neuroma/

For more information, use the 'search' function (upper left side of this page) entering the word 'endoscopic' to find older threads/posts from folks who've undergone the surgery.

A Goggle search will also turn up information on the endoscopic procedure. 

As for medical insurance coverage, you would have to consult your policy, as different insurance companies have differing limitations.  If that doesn't work for you, a call to the insurance company (usually toll-free) may be your best approach to obtain coverage information for the endoscopic procedure. 

I hope this has been of some help to you and of course, I wish you every success as you choose a procedure, doctor and facility to address your AN.

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Islander

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2009, 01:01:23 pm »
Tenai, That's a nice by-product of Surgery. I'm sure it makes SSD much more bearable. Does your doctor have any idea why your tinnitus is gone now?

Jim, thanks for the information. I will be sure and check the links you provided. I have found info on endoscopic surgery but not much on whether people have retained any hearing from the procedure as well as their levels of Tinnitus before and after.

I have not actually been diagnosed with an AN yet, I will find out this Thu. MRI on Tue. Hope everyone is having a good weekend!