Author Topic: Roller coasters post AN removal...  (Read 5058 times)

Migoi

• Loving life as a hill dweller.
    • Migoi's Mumblings
Roller coasters post AN removal...
« on: June 24, 2009, 05:35:25 pm »
As our daughter is home from the U.S. Naval Academy (Class of 2010) for a couple of weeks of summer vacation, we took a trip down to Hot Springs, Arkansas for a couple of days. At the edge of town is an amusement park. Since our room came with tickets to the park we used them today.

Prior to my AN removal, one of the things that my daughter, Kali, and I had in common is the love of riding roller coasters. My wife, Cyrilee, is not much on riding any of the the rides that have a heighth requirement. I waited patiently until our daughter managed to be taller than Mickey (or the local equivalent). Cyrilee swears I used to hang weights off of Kali's ankles at night to help her grow faster. Then the anticipation of how she would handle the first roller coaster...that delighted squeal and the "Let's go again." were truly music to my ears.

My AN removal left me with a mild case of wonky head...a bit of unsteadiness more than anything else but enough to notice the difference. Since the surgery, I haven't been any place that had a thrill type ride and did not know if I would be able to ride anymore.

Today we found out... roller coasters on wonky head rocks. At least for me... my level of wonkiness expresses itself by intensifying the sensations we ride roller coasters for. I also found I could intensify the sensations by focusing on something that was not moving in relation to my eyes thereby increasing the discrepency between what my eyes were reporting to my brain and what my ears were reporting to my brain. But then I miss all the pretty scenery zipping by at 70 miles per hour.

While I realize that wonky head is a lot more serious for some folks, and you all truly have my sympathies. There's nothing quite so bad as to have a sensnation going on that makes you feel "off". Happily though, for me, it doeesn't interfere much with my everyday life and now I've found it gives me more bang for my roller coaster buck.

..take care... tim b
Arkansas Support Group Leader
The wild places are where we began. When they are gone, so are we. - D.B.
AN's only affect the smartest, most interesting people in a population.
On a hill in Onda, AR
http://www.facebook.com/migoi

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: Roller coasters post AN removal...
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 05:51:15 pm »
Hehe...I've felt the same on occasion. Mild rides have become wild rides...same thing with the simulated motion rides. Your brain is a lot easier to fool.
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

Dog Lover

• My little Sammie Roo.
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 06:16:49 pm »
I've often wondered what it would be like. I used to LOVE roller coasters...that is until they started going upside down. Then, not such a big fan. Hmmm...I'm thinking that I'll pass on roller coaster rides, but so glad that you can still enjoy them!

Cathy
Cathy
9mm x 3mm Left Side AN
Mid Fossa Aug. 21, 2008
Dr. Gantz / Dr. Woodson
Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
No facial issues, hearing saved, I keep active and feel back to normal.

Kathy M

• Kathy
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 06:36:30 pm »
I can't wait to try it this summer!  I loved 'em all before surgery - fast, upside down, in the dark, you name it. I was getting kind of worried - thanks for sharing this!!

Kathy
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

Kaybo

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 10:50:23 am »
In line for Thunderation at Silver Dollar City!! Rollar coasters - I still LOVE!!  Let u know in a sec!!

K :D  ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 04:00:21 pm »
Tim ~

I used to love roller coasters but as I got older the thrill wore off a bit, although I had been on many, starting with the famous Cyclone at Coney Island (Brooklyn, New York) when I was just a lad of 10.  At the time (1953) it was the fastest (60 mph) and biggest roller coaster in America with an 83 foot drop at a 53 degree angle.  I still remember it (I went on twice that day) and other roller coasters never seemed to equal it.  In later years, I've avoided the 'upside down' coasters for fear of nausea.  However, during a vacation at DisneyWorld® in Orland, Florida last year I ventured onto the famous Space Mountain ride ( a roller coaster that you ride mostly in the dark) and thoroughly enjoyed it - with no 'head' problems.  My wife was impressed.  I also enjoyed 'Test Track' and the fantastic 'Soaring over California' which doesn't really move (it's all an illusion) but definitely gives you the sensation of soaring like a bird.  We went three times!

I haven't experienced a lot of 'wonky head' so I'm not sure if my post-surgical state is helping me enjoy roller coaster rides or not but I certainly look forward to experimenting a bit more while I'm able to do so.  I'm pleased to learn that you and others have been able to enjoy roller coasters and that your post-op condition has possibly enhanced your fun.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 05:33:19 pm »
In line for Thunderation at Silver Dollar City!! Rollar coasters - I still LOVE!!  Let u know in a sec!!

K :D  ;D

Welcome to Missouri, Kay! There is probably no way you will come as far north as Jefferson City, but if you do give me a call.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Keri

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2009, 11:12:37 am »
Hi Tim,
I'm a real wimp when it comes to any rides, esp roller coasters or anything with free falling. I am glad you have found that wonkiness enhances the roller coaster ride. Sounds like fun (kind of). Of all the AN post and pre issues, I find the wonkiness certainly not the worst. It can be kind of fun sometimes (looking on the bright side here; not trying to not empathize with those dealing with some major dizziness/ nausea issues, which is really cruddy).
Glad you had a fun family time!
Also Kaybo - were you there with your kids or still girlie free?
Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

epodjn

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2009, 01:58:45 pm »
I've been wondering about amusement park rides as we have a family reunion coming up on the 4th of July at the local park. I used to love to go but in the last few years the thrill has kind of worn off for me too. I'm hoping wonky head will bring back the thrill! At least there will be one good thing about an AN! (Along with getting to know the greatest bunch of people ever)
Left side 3.2cm AN/FN removed 12/8/08 Dr's. Shelton and Reichman. SSD, facial paralysis,taste issues, lateral tarrsoraphy 6/25/09,scheduled for eye and nasal valve surgery 6/22/11 life is GOOD!

Kaybo

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2009, 03:06:32 pm »
Keri~
yes, the girlies were w/ us - they even road some coasters!  Don't know if we would have gone w/out them. It was miserably hot - heat index was like 105!  Good thing the coasters went fast & helped cool us off for a few seconds!!  :D. Still have to get kendie on Sunday in Abilene. I'll be glad when I have all my chicks back under my wing!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Keri

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2009, 04:17:06 pm »
I've been wondering about amusement park rides as we have a family reunion coming up on the 4th of July at the local park. I used to love to go but in the last few years the thrill has kind of worn off for me too. I'm hoping wonky head will bring back the thrill! At least there will be one good thing about an AN! (Along with getting to know the greatest bunch of people ever)

"wonky head bring back the thrill".... yes, it can also make one glass of wine feel like two!

"along with getting to know the greatest bunch of people ever"..... awww, shucks, that really is nice!

1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Dan

• Dan in Germany
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2009, 01:07:16 am »
I went to two different amusement parks last year about 12 months after surgery and went on all of the rides, (roller coaster with a 73 meter drop 130 km/h,  loops and spirals, a rollercoaster in comlete darkness and a freefall tower).  It was great, I had now problems at all.  You have to try yourself or you won't know. Enjoy your vacation, I'm going again this year.

Dan in Germany 
US Army Retired, age 51,  residing and working in Germany.
Retrosigmoid 21 Sept 07 left side 1.76cm AN, Prof. Mann, Uniklinik Mainz Germany

arkansasfarmgirl

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2009, 02:17:43 pm »
Gosh, I haven't been to Magic Springs since my hubby and I were dating!  I wonder how much has changed...

It's good to hear you were able to enjoy the roller coasters.  That has been a worry of mine, because on our last trip to Disney in 2007, I figured out on the way there that I was pregnant (got sick on the plane and I NEVER get motion sickness), so I didn't get to ride anything fun.  I was afraid that I had missed my last chance and would never get to do it again.  We're going back in 2012, now I can get excited about it!!  :-D

Vonda

wcrimi

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2009, 06:39:41 pm »
Migoi,

When was your surgery?

I don't think I'd be up for a roller coaster ride yet.  :o
1 cm, 6mm, 4mm on Left side. Surgery performed 11/6/2008 by Dr. Kalmon Post and Eric Smouha at Mt. Sinai Hospital in NYC.
Normal hearing before, 85%-90% now, dizziness when walking or turning head, annoying hissing and high pitched tinnitus on and off, eyes have trouble adjusting to rapid head move

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2009, 06:18:25 pm »
You are the MAN, Tim!  I'm with Cyrilee, though - I am happiest with my feet on the ground!  Actually rollercoasters have always scared the cr** out of me!  I think I have enough excitement walking to the bathroom in the dark of night - that's plenty of wonky-headed action for me. 

Hey, can't wait to meet you guys in Chicago!

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com