Author Topic: LoopyLupy - 4 sleeps...  (Read 2978 times)

Lupy

LoopyLupy - 4 sleeps...
« on: June 26, 2009, 11:46:09 pm »
Hi guys,

Haven't logged in for a while. I have been finding the internet, and even this forum, all a bit t oo much to take in. I have my operation in four days. I have been put back once already as I got an eye infection three days before i was scheduled to go in last time (17th of June)! Gah! I think I could have coped better if I hadn't been in QUARANTINE for two weeks predeeding this, and then was immeditaely placed in another two weeks of quarantine so as not to get SWINE FLU which has been ravaging Victoria before the operation (now on the 1st of July). It has been so boring - like watching carpet grow. I am now almost excited about the operation because at least I will be able to get out of the house for a while! I say that but I am still freaking out the minute i stop distracting myself. So, yeah, thought I should update you all. I have just been scouring the post on what to pack for the hospital - it is sooo handy! So thank you all!

LoopyLupy
“Life is a mystery to be lived, not a problem to be solved” S. Kierkegaard

2.5cm Tumour removed 1/7/2009
Retrosigmoid @ The Royal Melbourne
Debilitating headaches/migraines from 2 weeks post surgery till current.

Dan

• Dan in Germany
Re: LoopyLupy - 4 sleeps...
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 12:47:06 am »
LoopyLupy,

I felt the same before surgery, but wasn't quarantined.  The last 4 weeks before surgery I got alot more done around the house than I normally do all year,  I just had to stay busy.  Wish you luck and hope that surgery doesn't get pushed back again.

Dan in Germany
US Army Retired, age 51,  residing and working in Germany.
Retrosigmoid 21 Sept 07 left side 1.76cm AN, Prof. Mann, Uniklinik Mainz Germany

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 08:04:14 am »
Hi Lupy .....

Bummer to be pushed back on the surgery.  I had that happen on my first brain surgery 15 years ago (failed a bleeding time test the morning surgery was scheduled) ..... I had a major meltdown in front of the doctors, husband, and daughter!!  Not pretty.

I, too, was scared out of my wits reading the posts on this Forum before my AN surgery 16 months ago (I was a lurker then) and quit reading them, telling myself I didn't need any more fears ..... biggest mistake because now I am finding much care and support here.  My advice:  if it is scary, skip it and go on to another thread ...... there are many very uplifting threads going.  So, use us for a distraction between now and Wednesday.

Did you put your surgery on the AN calendar?  (I didn't take time to go out of this to check.)  If not, use the link at the bottom of my signature and go to "Create ...." and follow the instructions.  Many of us like to keep each other in our thoughts and prayers during days of treatment.

My personal thoughts and prayers are with you as you await surgery, as well as for peace in the knowledge that all will be well.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 12:03:33 pm »
Lupy ~

Hello again!  We haven't seen you post for a few months but I'm glad to learn that you're finally on schedule for your surgery.  The quarantine must have been terribly frustrating as well as boring but at least that will essentially be over.  Having the 'jitters' (anxiety) just before surgery is perfectly normal but the sooner you have the operation, the sooner you can get back to your normal life.

I trust your surgery will go smoothly with no complications and that your recovery will be rapid and complete.  :)

I took the liberty of adding your surgery date to our AN Treatment Calendar http://my.calendars.net/an_treatments/d01/07/2009?display=M&style=B&positioning=A  Please feel free to edit as you feel necessary.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Lupy

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 08:55:17 pm »
Thanks guys! Your thoughts and kind words really help. And special thanks for adding me to the calendar. It looks like a busy month in the operating theatre! I am sure everything will be fine: Joe Bloggs' wonderful recovery has given me such hope and inspiration, now i just have to manage the freak outs leading up to it! I am finding chocolate icecream helps...

Lupy x
“Life is a mystery to be lived, not a problem to be solved” S. Kierkegaard

2.5cm Tumour removed 1/7/2009
Retrosigmoid @ The Royal Melbourne
Debilitating headaches/migraines from 2 weeks post surgery till current.

Keri

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2009, 10:51:55 pm »
Hi Lupy,
I was wondering about how you were doing. I even asked JB what happened to you. She mentioned that you had some delays.
She's making a great recovery, as are many others here lately. I will be praying and hoping for the same for you.
Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Darin

• The Running Tumor
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 08:57:53 pm »
Hey LoopyLupy, I was just checking out the AN calendar, and we are both having surgery on July 1st! I thought I was emotionally prepared for surgery, but when my sister from Iowa called me earlier this evening I realized I am freaking out a little bit. She is driving to Grand Rapids, MI on Tuesday to be here for a week. It really hit me that it is for real when we were talking about visiting arrangements. A big life lesson that this is teaching me, is that it's OK to cry. I used to just stuff all the feelings back in, but not anymore. I am totally alright with making all my brothers and dad uncomfortable!  ;) 
On the bright side, it'll be nice to be in air conditioning for 3 to 7 days! It's crazy hot out! Talk to you on the other side.  8)
3cm AN on right side
Surgery July 1st, 2009
C'mon facial nerve, you can do it!

Lilan

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 05:50:09 am »
Lupy and Darin, you'll both do great I'm sure. I was wheeled into the operating room in tears just a couple weeks ago all the way across the country and now am enjoying relaxing at home and the whole surgery/hospital part seems almost a world away already.

You will be scared, uncomfortable, etc., at times, but just ride those waves and know that better times are VERY nearby! After all the worry that leads up to this, you will gain a whole new faith in your body and your mind and their ability to heal!

Facial nerve hemangioma. Probable dx 7/2008 confirmed 4/2009. Combo middle fossa and translab to remove the blood vessel malformation and snip ruined hearing and balance nerves by Drs. House and Brackmann @ House 6/2009. Doing great!

wendysig

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 06:44:26 am »
Lupy and Darin,

The idea of someone operating inside your head can be frightening and I had my share of meltdowns prior to surgery.  In the week before surgery I just let it all go and made peace with it.  I had  the utmost confidence in my docs and my ability to heal or deal with anything that might happen and in the last few days before surgery found I was not afraid at all.  My friends and family were surprised by this but you can hold onto your fear or let it go.  I let my fear go.  My reasoning was this:

1.  I'd done my homework and had as much information as I was able to find.
2.  I had the utmost confidence in my docs as I said earlier.
3.  I knew no one could guarantee the outcome I would have, so I mentally prepared for the worst (as much as I could anyway) and hoped for the best.
4.  I knew I had the prayers and support of my friends here and at home and my family and was comforted by that.
5.  Fear of the unknown can only hurt you -- keeping a positive outlook makes you stronger and you are stronger than you know.

I was extremely fortunate to not have any big post-surgical problems other than being SSD, which I expected.  Whether my positive attitude had anything to do with my outcome is a question I can't answer, but I can tell you that it did help with my recovery .  You will get through this and I hope and pray that your surgeries will have excellent outcomes and that your recoveries are uneventful.

Best wishes to both of you,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Darlene

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 09:05:07 am »
Darin and Lupy,

I can relate to what you are both feeling,  I am also having surgery wednesday and on the one hand I just want to get the surgery over but at the same time I am freaking out.  Everything Wendy said makes total sense and I am reassured that Lilan has had a great recovery,I too can see myself crying as I am wheeled into the operating room.   Although I have panicky moments where I envision myself cancelling the whole thing I try to keep reassuring myself that I can do this.   

Good luck to you both and I look forward to hearing about your successful surgeries and miraculously fast recoveries. 

The count down begins!! 
Darlene
DX: 12/6/08
1.4cm intracanicular -Middle Fossa Surgery on 7/1/09 @ NYU. Hearing preserved and speech discrimination has actually gotten better!!   Temporary Facial Paralysis- showing improvement.  1yr post-op hearing test- same 96% speech recognition- yeah!

Keri

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2009, 09:20:03 am »
Darlene, Darin and Lupy,
We all wish you the best tomorrow. I know I also felt like I'd kind of start freaking out and lose it a bit as I was wheeled into the operating room ,but it wasn't that way at all. Normally you get to the hospital at the crack of dawn and it is busy busy busy with the things they do to you - I didn't feel like I had time to get nervous! (until they shaved my hair, but that wasn't even as bad as it seemed at the time). Then I got a quick visit from my husband and pastor, who read out of Psalms in the Bible for me (that was calming). Then the nurse came in and said 'Time for your happy meds!' When I was wheeled away I was pretty out of it but then was with it for a few minutes in the operating room but was utterly fascinated with the activity of all that was going on. Then I was out.

We'll all be pulling for you, thinking of you praying for you!

Take care,
Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

moe

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2009, 10:30:21 am »
Dear Darlene, Darin and Lupy,
Prayers going your way for a successful surgery. All on 1 July!
See y'all on the other side.
Maureen
I'm doing great 3 years post surgery and I'm confident you guys will sail through just fine ;)
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

wendysig

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2009, 01:18:35 pm »
Darlene,

I don't know if I wished you well and have a feeling I didn't see you mentioned in this week's upcoming surgeries.  Even if I did, again, you have my very best wishes for a successful surgerytomorrow  with no complications.  You'll be a postie before you know it.  Remember, you will be in good hands and you've done everything you can do.  Now it is up to God and the docs and a little bit to Fate. 

Hoping your tumor is not at all sticky and sending good vibes your way,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Darlene

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2009, 05:41:18 pm »
Thanks Wendy,

I appreciate your good thoughts and can't wait to be a postie.  MY husband will update after the surgery.   

This forum is amazing, I sincerely appreciate everyone.

Darin & Lupy and Cheryl - Best wishes and lots of prayers your way!
Take care,
Darlene
DX: 12/6/08
1.4cm intracanicular -Middle Fossa Surgery on 7/1/09 @ NYU. Hearing preserved and speech discrimination has actually gotten better!!   Temporary Facial Paralysis- showing improvement.  1yr post-op hearing test- same 96% speech recognition- yeah!