Author Topic: Off to my daughter's foot surgery  (Read 1940 times)

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
Off to my daughter's foot surgery
« on: June 30, 2009, 10:43:13 am »
My thirteen-year-old middle child (I call her Elbee online, for her initials) is having foot surgery today, a subtarsal implant to correct for flat feet. She is very athletic and her other joints are going to be taking a toll if it is not addressed.

The surgery has a 98% success rate and is easily reversed for the other 2%. What is variable is the recovery time. She will be on crutches for at least two weeks, then start physical therapy. As soon as she is comfortable bearing weight on her right foot again, the procedure will be repeated for the left side.

Our hope is that because she is young and strong and athletic, her recovery period will be short and uneventful and she will be off crutches before school starts in August and back to 100% before basketball season.

As always, prayers and happy thoughts are much appreciated.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Keri

Re: Off to my daughter's foot surgery
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 01:00:52 pm »
Hi Sara,
I pray all will be well for her too. I have a friend who loves to run but is flat footed. It really causes problems. Since she is so athletic, even though initially it may be difficult, it sounds like it is the best way to go. I hope she has a quick recovery.

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

TP

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 01:46:17 pm »
I had several foot surgeries in the early to mid 80's. A lot of improvement in the technique part of surgery since them. I will say that my foot surgeries (bunion and neuroma) were painful during recovery but once everything was healed my feet were brand new. I have pins in both of my big toes and if I bump them on furniture it hurts but otherwise my feet are so much better off than before my surgeries. I was a dancer (ballet/toe) and did a number on my feet and reason for my surgeries. I had a few more minor ones and my scars have all blended in nicely. I hope your daughter has a quick recovery and she is back to her athletics and basketball real soon.
4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 03:09:34 pm »
Sara ~

My wife had a 'Morton's Nuroma ' surgically removed a few years ago.  Everything went well but recovery took awhile.  She's fine, now.

I trust your daughter will have a safe, smooth and complication-free foot surgery with a rapid and total recovery.  She be the prayers of many, including mine.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 07:06:03 pm »
The subtalar joint implant today went just as planned. The doctor said it took less than twenty minutes and he is very pleased with the outcome. Now Elbee gets to spend a few days lying around and asking the rest of us to fetch her things!

Next Monday, she will have her stitches removed and go from a cast to an air boot. In about two weeks she may be able to start physical therapy. First she will work on mobility, then on bearing weight. Once she is comfortable bearing weight on her right foot, she will have the same procedure on her left foot.

Thanks,
Sara
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 08:15:10 am »
Sara .....

Elbee must be one stoic and highly motivated little gal!  Glad this surgery went well.  Not a fun way to spend her summer, but hopefully the good results will all be worth it!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 12:44:22 pm »
Yes, she is definitely motivated when it comes to basketball. We would have done the surgery earlier in the summer, but waited until after three basketball camps, two at local high schools and one at the University of Missouri. She said the Mizzou camp was the best she has ever attended.

She seems to be doing very well today. She's getting around on the crutches and does not want much pain medication, mostly because it makes her sleepy. I'm very optimistic that her recovery will be quick.

Sara
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

cindyj

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2009, 01:10:10 pm »
Glad to hear she's doing well, Sara - young ones do seem to bounce back so quickly!  Hope it will do the trick for her!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings