Author Topic: pre surgery menu  (Read 3189 times)

Nickittynic

• Bug in the Brain Blog
Re: pre surgery menu
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2010, 05:37:24 pm »
I would go with eating what you want and trying not to worry about it! I know I gained 8 #s in the two months between diagnosis and surgery, because they told me a risk for me involved swallowing, and I wanted to be sure I got a "last taste" of everything just in case. Haha. I ended up not being an issue, and I lost most of the weight while in the hospital (ew, hospital food).
Enjoy something good!
25 year old OBGYN nurse, wife, mother of two
5.5cm x 3.1cm left side AN removed via retrosigmoid 9/09 @ Hopkins
SSD, Tinnitus, Chronic Migraines, Facial paralysis (improving!)
Resolved - Left sided weakness, Cognitive issues
Gold weight, upper and lower punctal plugs, tarsorrhaphy

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
Re: pre surgery menu
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2010, 03:09:24 pm »
Thought I'd weigh (ha, pun intended) on this - better late than never.  Like you, I was concerned that things might get "impaired" in the digestive department after surgery, so I knocked out meat, added fats and anything else that might act as a binder for about a week before surgery.   It wasn't all that different than the way I usually eat, I was just more regimented and aware.  I also upped my fiber intake considerably for the last few day.  I am not sure if my healthy eating had a direct effect or not, but it at least made me feel like I was in control of something! 

On the flip side, steroids had the same effect on me as on Catherine (JerseyGirl2) - I was hungry!  Funny thing was that I was only hungry for fruit and vegetables - which also served to get my digestive system operating at peak efficiency!  I didn't actually gain any weight after surgery, but I don't think I lost any either.  :D

Isn't this great?  Where else can you talk about bodily functions like this??? ;D ;D ;D

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com