Author Topic: Mid Fossa one year post-op!!  (Read 2232 times)

jays

Mid Fossa one year post-op!!
« on: September 09, 2010, 08:36:07 am »
Hello Everyone.

Today marks the one year anniversary since I had my mid fossa surgery!  I’ve been post-op for a year now – wow!  What a nice milestone to hit.
The surgery was a success however, the wonderful doctors at House were not able to save my hearing, which of course resulted in SSD.  I am happy to say that aside from that, I am basically back to normal.  I do get a little ‘foggy / wonky’ in my head once in a while, but not often anymore.   My tumor was small (on my left side about 7mm) and hadn’t yet affected my balance.  After the surgery that was my biggest challenge.   I remember waking up, opening my eyes, and the entire room looked like it was tipped on its side. Very freaky!  It took a good month before I felt like I could safely walk around without needing to hold on to something, about 2 months before I even wanted to drive again, and about 6 months before I could run on a treadmill without feeling that I was going to fall off.   Now, I’m back to my normal active self, working-out, lifting weights, biking, swimming and being active.  I am even impressed how well my scar healed.  Its up in my hairline, and even when I have my hair short on the sides, it’s hardly noticeable.  When my hair grows in for a week or so, it’s totally invisible.  I actually sported a mohawk for a while just to show it off  8).

I thought I would have a hard time dealing with SSD.  Yes, it is frustrating especially when I’m in loud places or where there’s a lot of echoes, and I’m trying to have a conversation with someone; or even when I want to lay on the couch on my left side and watch TV!    However, I was amazed how quickly you adjust.  You sit and stand in strategic spots to keep your SSD side away from the action.  When I’m walking with someone, I walk so they’re on my right side.  In normal day to day activity I don’t really notice the SSD, although at work every now and then I still try to hold the phone up to my left ear.   ::)  I wouldn’t wish SSD on anyone but the truth is, it is not as bad as I thought it was going to be.

To anyone who is faced with an upcoming surgery, first of all, I’m sorry you have to go through this… it’s scary, not fun, and is life changing.  Just know that you will get through it a stronger person inside.  Surround yourself with family and friends.  Don’t hesitate to reach out to anyone on this forum (including me).  Before my surgery I did a lot of reading and research, but I found it helped to talk with someone who has gone through it.   Their understanding of what you’re going through isn’t something that your family and friends can offer.

To all of you sent me encouragement before and after my surgery, I want to thank you again!  It has meant a lot to me.

Jay
left AN
4mm x 7mm
Middle Fossa microsurgery at House Clinic 09/09/09 Dr. Fayad and Dr. Schwartz
SSD

iluuvpups

Re: Mid Fossa one year post-op!!
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 09:34:10 am »
Congratulations on your recovery!  You sound like you're doing great.  Thanks for the update.  --Carol Ann
Original 1.75cm left-side AN diagnosed Feb 2010
Translab surgery May 27, 2010 with Drs. Kartush and Pieper of MEI
SSD on left side, some facial weakness, tear duct doesn't work
Found I actually had a facial neuroma during translab
Remaining 6mm facial neuroma - watch and wait

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 01:42:22 pm »
Hey, Jay!

Thanks for posting and offering your heartening one-year post-op update.  I'm pleased to learn how well you've recovered and your story is encouraging to 'newbies', I'm sure.

Your experience with SSD reflects my own.  Simply put: you adjust.  It's a nuisance sometimes, especially in crowded, noisy environments, but I manage quite well, as you do.  I figure that if my SSD every becomes intolerable, which is possible, I'll opt for a BAHA.  Until then, I'm O.K.    Again, thanks for your post.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 04:50:56 pm »
Jay -

seriously?  It's been an entire year since your AN surgery?  I'm shocked that it's been that long.

Glad you are doing well - and also glad that you returned to give us an update.

Some adjust to SSD - and I'm glad to hear you did - but if you ever want to explore the BAHA, let me know.

I'd be more than willing to give you my two cents worth on it - and then some  ;D

Take care - and don't be a stranger!

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

texsooner

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 06:06:44 am »
Jay, congrats on your ANniversary, and it's great to hear you're doing so well. I can also relate a lot to your description of how you deal with being SSD. Thanks for the update.

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

Suebedo

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2010, 05:27:08 pm »
At ten days before my mid fossa surgery, reading your post was a great encourager.   Thank you for posting it!
Diagnosed with AN June 10, 2009. Mid fossa surgery 9/30/10 at University of MN. Tumor over an inch at that time. CSF leak after surgery. Eight years later, regrowth. Starting the decisions all over again.