Author Topic: Ottawa Cyberknife!  (Read 7355 times)

petgroomer

• Love to live... Live to love...
    • Vagal Schwannoma
Ottawa Cyberknife!
« on: November 12, 2010, 09:23:26 am »
I'm on my way!  I am just so excited.  This has been an uphill fight for me to get C.K.
Even tho most doctors I talk with still don't know about cyberknife, I did find the one who DID and he was in his own fight to bring C.K. to the Ottawa Hospital.  It is now installed and running.  Thank you Dr. John Sinclair!
I met with Dr. Shaun Malone just 2 days ago and I am scheduled to start my C.K. treatment within the next 3 weeks. 
My tumour had grown from 56 mm (July 2009) to 71 mm (March 2010) and just 6 mons later (2 days ago) it had another 10% growth to it.  There is no actual validation on size yet as the doc was just looking at the scans on the computer.
Dr. Malone is amazing and I was star struck when I saw that machine!  He was a great sport and let me take pictures and also grab him in for one with it.  You can see my pic with him and the C.K. on the front page of my website when you scroll down.
www.vagalschwannoma.com
Thank you so much to everyone for all your support, your encouragement and knowledge.
xoxo
I am now in the process of having a meeting on Monday with the local newspaper to spread the word on C.K. and it's benefits so others can have the choice. 
Have a great weekend!  I know I will!
Rhonda
JULY 2009 found 5.6 cm X 4 cm vagal schwan on the 10th cranial nerve and by MAY 2010 it grew to 7.1 cm X 4 cm X 4.1 cm  Nov 2010 it has grown another 10%... time for C.K.! :)
I love life but I'm finding it harder to do .. one millimetre at a time.
www.vagalschwannoma.com 
www.allinonepetcare.co

valerie_g

Re: Ottawa Cyberknife!
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 01:37:16 pm »
Hi Rhonda!

I was thinking about you and I was wondering how your appointment went :-*I'm so glad the Ottawa team are tacking good care of you (as they are with me ;D). Please keep me (us) inform! Dr. Malone is one OF a kind!!!! He show me the ck machine as well when I met with him and Dr. Sinclair. I'm very happy for all people that can get treatment here in Ottawa!

Have an excellent weekend

Valerie
March 2009 5 mm X 4 mm
July 2010 6 mm X 5 mm
March 2011 7mm X 6mm Cyberknife radiosurgery Ottawa General Hospital
June 2011 BAHA surgery Ottawa Civic Hospital

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 03:02:12 pm »
Rhonda ~

Kudos on your efforts to bring CyberKnife technology to Ottawa and congratulations on your upcoming CK treatment.  Well done.

Jim 
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

mk

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 06:47:05 pm »
Hi Rhonda,

this is so exciting, I am sure everything will turn out well for you. Keep us posted and good luck.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

sgerrard

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 10:07:13 pm »
This is really good news. I hope the CK works out well on your VS, and it is great that Ottawa has one now. It sounds like perseverance is going to pay off.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 10:22:36 pm »
Very cool  8)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

petgroomer

• Vagal Schwannoma
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2010, 01:11:48 am »
ahhh Jim,, I wish I had so much clout as to get cyberknife anywhere...
but I just followed the entire sequence of events leading to the installation.
It was someone else who pointed me towards Ottawa getting the machine so I set myself up with the right doctors there :)
I do feel liike it is my baby tho!!!  :)
JULY 2009 found 5.6 cm X 4 cm vagal schwan on the 10th cranial nerve and by MAY 2010 it grew to 7.1 cm X 4 cm X 4.1 cm  Nov 2010 it has grown another 10%... time for C.K.! :)
www.vagalschwannoma.com 
www.allinonepetcare.co

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2010, 07:14:52 am »
Rhonda

You know I've been following along and thrilled to hear Ottawa has CK... and a doc to treat you. I know this has been a gut-wrenching journey for you and sending wishes for a successful treatment!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Tumbleweed

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 12:34:18 am »
Rhonda, this is terrific news!!! I am so happy for you. Really happy.

CK is wonderful technology.

Good luck and keep us informed about how it goes for you!

Best wishes,
TW
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

petgroomer

• Vagal Schwannoma
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2010, 06:48:46 pm »
Thanks all!!!
I met with my local newspaper 2 days ago to discuss cyberknife.  The article comes out this friday!  I want others to know that you dont go with 1st opinions and that there are options out there that are not made known to you.
:)
I got angry last week when a customer of mine said she asked OSHAWA cancer clinic about the Ottawa location and the cyberknife radiation.  She was told that all machines are the same and theirs is no different so no need to go there.  She started her radiation last Friday for the long haul route without any other opinions or options.
www.vagalschwannoma.com 
www.allinonepetcare.co

tenai98

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2010, 06:53:22 am »
Wow, cool Rhonda....Dr. Morgan is another one OF a kind in Ottawa....I am impressed with the oncology team at the Ottawa General....I just hope to never have to use the machine and booger stays small....
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

petgroomer

• Vagal Schwannoma
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2010, 09:14:09 am »
Hi Jo,
It is just great knowing that C.K. and the team are there when needed now and not out of our reach.  I met another girl through my www.vagalschwannoma.com site that has been seeing both Dr. Malone and Dr. Sinclair.  She has the same thoughts that I do... "Angels!"
www.vagalschwannoma.com 
www.allinonepetcare.co