Author Topic: A major milestone for me.  (Read 2867 times)

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
A major milestone for me.
« on: January 31, 2008, 07:17:02 am »
My wife and I are closing on our new (well…new to us), house today and moving out of this small apartment.  This is a major milestone for me because I have tended to let my AN rule my life.  I thought of its potential impact on every aspect of my life, and tended to take the cautious side of safety.  I feared making major financial commitments because of the “what if factor.â€?  What “ifâ€? the tumor grew again, what “ifâ€? I couldn’t work after re-treatment, what “ifâ€?…what “ifâ€?…what “if.â€?

As for my AN status…it’s currently in a holding pattern, and I go for my annual MRI in June.  Personally I’d feel better if it actually shrank, but beggars can’t be choosers. 

If the future holds that I have to have it treated again…so be it,  I’m done letting this tumor rule my life.

Gary
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
Re: A major milestone for me.
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 08:17:45 am »
Gary,
  Congratulations on the new house.  May it provide you and your wife many happy years of shelter.  And congrats on the new outlook.
ANs don't Rule.
Regards,
 Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

mema

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 09:14:09 am »
Gary,

Congrats on the new house may it be a wonderful HOME for years and years to come.  I too am a what if-er.  When I decide this thing will not control my life, I get another stupid symptom and I'm in the what if mode again.  Rob I hope someday I can have the more positive attitude you have.

mema
6mm x 8mm left AN FSR 26 treatments Nov.-Dec.2005
MD Anderson Orlando, Fl.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 09:16:21 am »
Good for you, Gary.

Congratulations  ;D

Life goes on, make the most of it,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 10:39:47 am »
Gary,

I have decided that I am going to try to control the AN (diligent about follow up MRI’s – healthy lifestyle, avoid stress etc) – and not let the AN control me.

I may have become ‘disabled’ (SSD) but since this life changing event I have also gained some new ‘abilities’. One for those abilities is to understand how precious life is- and it should be enjoyed to its fullest.

Congratulations on the new (to you) house! May your home be filed with happiness, good thoughts and loving warmth …

Keep moving forward!

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

pearchica

• Hey!
    • Political Chic Chat- an Independent Political Cocktail for Women
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 03:18:21 pm »
OOH OHH - where is new house? (send me a message if you want, but not necessary).
I used to live in Seattle: Capitol Hill and my Favorite Queen Anne - mind you pre grunge and microsoft money- but it's a great town.  I was just up there this summer for my nieces graduation from my alma-mater Seattle U.  I am really happy for you to be a homeowner- man, you think your AN ruled your life- my first six months as a homeowner with my husband were highly anxiety ridden, and we had a new home!  We just felt like we had a money pitt on our hands, but it mellowed out and I can tell you 8 years later even post slump market we are still better off for the experience.

But it is a major change! Especially has a former apartment dweller.  Now my husband and I are looking forward in 15 or so years to downsize again- Ironic no?

Good luck and congrats again! Annie
Annie MMM MY Shwannoma (sung to the son My Sharona by the Knack-1979)
I have a TUMAH (Arnold Schwarzenegger accent) 2.4 x 2.2 x 1.9CM. CK Treatment 2/7-2/9/07, Stanford- Dr. Stephen Chang, Dr. Scott Soltys

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 03:21:30 pm »
Gary! Congrats, you new mortgage holder! :)  We are looking to do the same as you... graduate from living in a "flat" (been around the bloke too much!) to a house... congratulations!

As for your AN status, sounds like a winning plan... and yes, don't let it rule your life!  Good for you!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2008, 03:42:35 pm »
Gary:

Congratulations on two counts; first, making the decision to stop allowing the AN to dictate your actions and secondly, becoming a mortgagee as you and your wife live out the 'American Dream'.  I hope you'll live well in your new home.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2008, 10:28:53 pm »
This a good thread as, we all were there then one day---we realized there is "hope" and joy out there.  Get started the sooner the better.  True, the manitude is quite over-whelming in the beginning and then we level-out and move on with out life as best we can under all circumstances.

I went to see Wynton Marsalis the other night and it was fabulous.  I had on my musicians ear plugs and all was well.

Life eventually goes on!

Palace
22 mm Acoustic Neuroma (right side)
Cyberknife, Nov. & Dec. 2006
Dr. Iris Gibbs & Dr. Blevins @ Stanford
single sided deafness

sgerrard

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2008, 11:58:30 pm »
Gary,

If you are anything like I was five years ago, you will find that your house will rule your life for a while. It probably took me a year to stop wanting to change and fix everything, and just start treating it like a comfortable old pair of slippers, which is when it really feels like home. Do any inside painting before you move in if you can, it is much easier to do in an empty house. Say good bye to apartment living, once you have lived in your own house for awhile, you won't want to give it up.

Enjoy!

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2008, 12:35:49 pm »
You all rock!   Thank you...my cyber family...for the encouraging words and well wishes…   8)

Gary
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2008, 01:28:45 pm »
Uh OH! Now you'll have to get a puppy!  Every homeowner needs a dog don't they????

Congrats and Happy Housewarming!!!

Capt Deb

PS I have some spare puppy pee if you need to experiment with the idea!
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

FAITH40

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2008, 05:48:53 am »
CONGRATS ON YOUR NEW HOME MAY GOD BLESS IT AND YOUR FAMILY!!  ;)

ACOUSTIC NEUROMA IS JUST WORDS, UNTIL YOU MAGNIFY THEM! WE ALL HAVE SOMETHING BETTER TO MAGNIFY THAN "IT". ;)

BEST OF LUCK !!!

TAMMI
2.8 CM AN NASHVILLE,TN. DR. REID THOMPSON AND DR. DAVID HAYNES REMOVED DEC. 4TH- 07 TRANSLAB - 16 1/2 HOUR SURGERY - STRETCHED FACIAL NERVE- FACIAL PARALYSIS (HEALING) 100% HEARING LOSS (AN SIDE)
4 DAY HOSPITAL STAY ! DOING GREAT!

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2008, 03:54:00 pm »
Congratulations and best wishes!  A new home is such a great thing........................although I'm still unpacking from our move last June!!!  Like Steve said, pnce you live in a house for a while you won't won't to go back to apartment living.  Except maybe when it's time to mow or replace the heater and the a/c and the , oh it's fun anyways.  Good luck!
I really like the new 'tude!
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT