Author Topic: Taylor update - Setback  (Read 4791 times)

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
Re: Taylor update - Setback
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2008, 08:06:31 pm »
 :-* :-* :-* :-*Big hugs to Taylor,  She has been throught so much, I mean, enough already..  But like already mentioned, she has proven to be a fighter and she will get through it.  Seems like back when she had her surgery we all kinda adopted her as the AN baby of the bunch.  I have not had some of the complications Taylor has had to endure, but at  3.5  years out,  I can tell you I notice suttle improvements all the time. It does continue to get better with time and effort. 

All my best to you & Taylor.   Sorry we wern't able to hook up when you came through Salt Lake City last year. :(

Patti UT
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2008, 09:49:08 am »
More hugs and prayers for Taylor..............how is she doing now?
Hugs,
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

chelsmom

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2008, 09:26:50 am »
Hello Taylor and Kathy

I've been thinking about you and wondered how the recovery is progressing.  Chelsea and I were talking about you and Chris last night and what a hugh life changing diagnosis this is for you all.  I know that this is true for anyone that has an AN, but for you young ones it seems to be a lousy way to be starting out your young adult years.  Chelsea keeps the mantra going of 'what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger'.  I hope you are seeing positive results from your last surgery and you are healing well.  Take care. 

Michelle

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2008, 03:14:18 pm »
Michelle and Chelsea and Taylor and Kathy and Chris and Chrismom and all......

You know I've been following along since you all (and myself) appeared on this site... and you know I cheer you all on...... I follow all you endure.... just sending you all the best of wellness wishes.  You all have had such a tough journey and please know that I send the infamous huggles and Beanie wellness "toots" to you all.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

OMG16

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2008, 10:39:22 pm »
Has anyone else noticed that the teenagers seem to have a harder time with surgery?  They also seem to have more complications.  Just thinking out loud.  What are does everyone think about this?

Taylor I hope you are doing well.  16
I believe you are given choices in life and it is not what has happened to you that defines who you are.  It is how you handle the situation and finding the positive in an almost hopeless situation that counts the most.  My son is my hero and I have had the pleasure of learning this from him.

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2008, 04:49:49 am »
It does seem that way ... but also teenages seem to have MONSTER tumors... which cause more  issues!
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2008, 02:12:10 pm »
Has anyone else noticed that the teenagers seem to have a harder time with surgery?  They also seem to have more complications.  Just thinking out loud.  What are does everyone think about this?

I've noticed the incidences of teens with AN's seemingly having more complications than slightly older folks (like me).  I have absolutely no idea why this would be.  Usually, youth equals a high resistance to physical maladies, so, you would assume that a young person (teens or early 20's) who is unfortunate enough to even have an acoustic neuroma would breeze through surgery or radiation and be well again within weeks.  I'm sure this scenario occurs but it's obvious some that young AN patients sometimes have many AN complications.  I've also noted that they often recover fairly rapidly and are able to resume their lives faster than many older AN patients. 

I can't offer a rational explanation for the incidences of young AN patients developing post-op complications, other than - in some cases - inept handling of the surgery or aftercare, but I want to applaud the usually quick recuperation period and determination of the young AN patient to 'get back' as well as - specific to the folks who post here, anyway - their parent's unfailingly resolute support and encouragement at every step of the child's return to wellness.  That, alone, is inspiring.   :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Kaybo

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2008, 08:46:04 pm »
Hello All!
I guess I was pretty young and had a pretty rough road, but I have a GREAT life now!!  It is very true -- what doesn't kill you WILL make you stronger BUT what my personal motto and what got me through everything was that God will NEVER give us more than we can handle!!

Happy Thoughts,
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

lori67

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2008, 11:51:58 am »
I think it was Mother Teresa who said "God never gives me more than I can handle.  I just wish He didn't trust me so much!".

Who knew she had a sense of humor?   :D
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.