Author Topic: Taylor update - Setback  (Read 4788 times)

TaylorsMom

Taylor update - Setback
« on: February 22, 2008, 11:28:56 am »
Hi all,

Just got home yesterday from another stay in the hospital, our home away from home.  Not quite 2 weeks ago Taylor started having drainage under her earlobe again.  Her surgeon checked it and drew some fluid out.  It looked fine then, not infected.  It kept draining the rest of the week as he said it would.  Sunday morning I took the dressing off and it was obvious that it had gotten infected.  Off to the ER we went.  Unfortunatly, her surgeon was out of town and has been all week.  Another surgeon took her to OR, reopened part of the incision by her earlobe about an inch long and suctioned as much infection as he could.  They filled her full of heavy duty IV antibiotics until yesterday (Thursday) morning and sent us home.  The transplanted muscle seems to be OK so far.  Her surgeon will be back next week and we see him on Tuesday.

Wish us luck,

Kathy

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
Re: Taylor update - Setback
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 12:28:23 pm »
Kathy,

Really sorry to hear about that!  Please give Taylor a huge hug for me!  She sure doesn't need complications!!!!  None of us do!  Sending you both lots of happy thoughts to keep the infection buggies at bay.  She's a fighter, she can do this!

Hugs!

Kathleen
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 03:18:34 pm »
Hi, Kathy:

I was so sorry to read of Taylor's setback but it appears as if its under control, now. 

I trust that Taylor is handling this in her usual stalwart manner and that the infection can be stopped and her young life get back to near-normal soon. 

You and Taylor will be in our thoughts and prayers, as always. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 05:08:08 pm »
Oh boy, it's always something isn't it....  Sorry to hear about this, but thank God for antibiotics.
Will keep positive thoughts for you guys.     Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

lori67

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 07:43:13 pm »
Ugh - two steps forward and one step back it seems!

Hope this is the last backwards step and everything goes smoothly from this point on!  I'll be thinking of you two!  Hang in there!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

matti

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 09:48:40 pm »
Kathy - I am so sorry to hear that Taylor is  having to deal with yet another issue, but thankfully it sounds like it is under control.  She is such a fighter and we have all drawn so much inspiration from her and of course from you too.

Hugs to you and Taylor
Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

chelsmom

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 10:02:15 pm »
Hi Kathy and Taylor,

I am really sorry to hear about the complication you've had to deal with.  Thank goodness there was another surgeon to step in and take care of the situation.  I'm so secure with Chelsea's doctors that when ever someone mentions that maybe we should find someone closer to us I go nuts.  I hope you both get some good rest now that you're home and that the infection clears up fast.  I'll be keeping you in my prayers.   Michelle

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2008, 02:58:03 pm »
How long has it been since Taylor's initial surgery? It's been 2.5 years for me.

Paul
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

OMG16

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2008, 07:32:39 pm »
Kathy please tell Taylor my Son and I are thinking of her and wish her well.  I gave him her screen name for AIM and I know they have talked on line.  I think they could be good for each other since they have both had brain surgeries and complications that sometimes follow.  My son also has had so many setbacks that it can be overwhelming and I would be happy to talk to you one Mother to Another.  Our children are the exact same age and have so much to deal with that no teen their age should have to go through.  We are about 1-1.5 years further along in this journey and I am so greatful that my son has for the most part a pretty upbeat attitude about this.  It has taken allot of late night discussions about life and some counseling also to get to this point.  I do know that he is lonely and a little lost right now trying to figure out exactly what he is going to do for the rest of his life.  Many kisses to your families foreheads.   :-*  Don't forget to take care of yourself.  16
I believe you are given choices in life and it is not what has happened to you that defines who you are.  It is how you handle the situation and finding the positive in an almost hopeless situation that counts the most.  My son is my hero and I have had the pleasure of learning this from him.

TaylorsMom

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2008, 09:11:14 pm »
     Paul as of February 3rd, it's been 2 years.  She's come a long way.  She was signing forms Sunday at the hospital and I noticed she was signing her name faster than she had been.  She said some days are better than others as far as handwriting goes.  I was very happy to notice any improvement.

Kathy

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2008, 02:07:18 pm »
That sounds very encouraging!

Has she mentioned anything about it herself? It must slowly come back over the years if we keep working it. I've been noticing some slight improvements as well.

Paul
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2008, 04:04:24 pm »
So sorry to hear about Taylor.  I hope she is feeling better.  She's had a tough row to hoe, as they say.  Please convey my best wishes to her and tell her that I think of her often and know that one day all this junk will be just a memory.  I know that she will have so many great things happen in her lifetime.  It won't all be doctors and ER's and such.

Hugs,

Sue in Vancouver
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

jerseygirl

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2008, 04:21:44 pm »
Sorry to hear about Taylor! She sure has been through a lot! I hope it is the last setback ever in her life.

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2008, 05:13:12 pm »
Kathy,

I am sending BIG huggggggggles to Taylor... and to you.  wellness huggles to you.......  she's come a LONG way and sending Beanie healing "toots" as well!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

OMG16

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2008, 09:05:55 pm »
How is Taylor feeling as the days go by?  I hope that each day she is doing better.  :)

OK Phyl exactly what are "Beanie healing toots"?  There has to be a story to go along with this.  16
I believe you are given choices in life and it is not what has happened to you that defines who you are.  It is how you handle the situation and finding the positive in an almost hopeless situation that counts the most.  My son is my hero and I have had the pleasure of learning this from him.