Author Topic: Golf???  (Read 4955 times)

Kiwi Don

Re: Golf???
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2009, 04:35:47 pm »
Hey DR,

Thanks for the post, I too am an avid golfer sitting on a 12 H/C at the moment, and was wondering the same thing.
Didn't want to have to sell the new clubs I brought earlier this year :(, so will now have to look into building the golf swing into the post op rehab. ;)

Cheers
Don
24July09 Diagnoised with Left AN 2.0cm x 1.9cm
Translab Scheduled 7April10

"Received the Ticket, Boarded the Train, and now the Journey has begun??"

cherrypiper

• Hope is what this is all about
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2009, 04:46:17 pm »
well i haven't golfed in a long time. my balance is the issue. more tired i get worse i lean away from the AN side.

but all in all it hasn't been bad. Bowling was a challenge and i used to be pretty good, but the few times I've done it, after a while i can get into a groove just like old days.

walking, tired i lean left away from AN side. dont think i'd try riding a bike. but thats just me...........

10 mm x 2.4mm surgery date 12/03/07

glad to be here

amymeri

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2009, 09:35:15 am »
I golf, ride my horse, swim...do all my activities before.  My vision and balance are affected a bit by the AN but since I took up golf AFTER I had surgery I can't tell the difference!   ;D

My riding is a bit BETTER actually. 

It is possible to remain normally active after treatment and recovery.

Good luck!
Amy

4 cm right AN removed restrosigmoid 4/13/06
Partial facial paralysis, SSD and trigeminal numbness for now

Keri

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2009, 07:31:08 am »
Hi DR,
Now that you're post op and recovering I hope you can get to a driving range soon... and onto golf, although I guess the weather won't be so great by the time you feel up to it.
I resumed running very slowly a few weeks post op. Balance wise - (and i'm almost a yr post) sometimes i veer left while running.
I used to play golf occassionally with my husband. I remember playing when I was 9 months pregnant (trying to facilitate the beginning of labor, I think). My last time playing, I was in south Texas. I looked at the course and thought, 'gee, this shouldn't be too bad - no woods, no water, no sand traps.' what the course had was grass that was about 1 1/2 tall (in the 'rough'). I kept hitting into it and i've never lost so many balls! they were impossible to find. Finally i threw my club and said, 'why am i spending so much money to do something that makes me so miserable!?" and, that was the end of my golfing hobby!
I hope and trust that it will go much better for you!
Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Rc Moser

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2009, 05:26:23 pm »
I play golf, pool, table tennis, darts, poker (OK poker is not that good for excerise, but it excerises the brain), and now getting back into tennis.  Golf was about the same as before for me, but I noticed I got tired after the turn about the 12 hole and my game went down hill pretty fast. Pool (billiiards) the break sounds I like a stick of TNT going off and makes my AN side buzz really loud, so I shove my ear plug in my good ear to reduce the ringing. Other than I seen to get mentally tired after couple of hours my game is still above average. Table tennis for me can be a problem due to quick movements of the head due to dizziness. Darts no problems except I think only having one ear does affect my throw due to the constant corrections standing up.  Tennis has been the hardest for me so far. I use to play at just below college level and find that the running side to side and quick movement does induce  dizziness. Again from quick head movements, Balance does affect my eye to ball to racket contact, seem to miss hit more. But the good part is I am improving each time I go out and it seems to help my headaches and of course stamina and fitness ( I've lost 10 lbs. since I started playing again once or twice a week)

I think most of us can over come anything we set or mines to if we want it bad enough. I really enjoy playing tennis one of the few things I can't get enough of even if I may never reach the level I once was, but it's all about being able to play and have fun again.
9/17/03, 4.5CM, Translab, OU Medical Center, Dr. (the ear man) Saunders and Dr. B. (the BrainMAN) Wilson  along with about 4 other Doctors that keep me going for 18 hours.

wcrimi

« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2009, 09:27:04 pm »
I play golf, pool, table tennis, darts, poker (OK poker is not that good for excerise, but it excerises the brain), and now getting back into tennis.  Golf was about the same as before for me, but I noticed I got tired after the turn about the 12 hole and my game went down hill pretty fast. Pool (billiiards) the break sounds I like a stick of TNT going off and makes my AN side buzz really loud, so I shove my ear plug in my good ear to reduce the ringing. Other than I seen to get mentally tired after couple of hours my game is still above average. Table tennis for me can be a problem due to quick movements of the head due to dizziness. Darts no problems except I think only having one ear does affect my throw due to the constant corrections standing up.  Tennis has been the hardest for me so far. I use to play at just below college level and find that the running side to side and quick movement does induce  dizziness. Again from quick head movements, Balance does affect my eye to ball to racket contact, seem to miss hit more. But the good part is I am improving each time I go out and it seems to help my headaches and of course stamina and fitness ( I've lost 10 lbs. since I started playing again once or twice a week)

I think most of us can over come anything we set or mines to if we want it bad enough. I really enjoy playing tennis one of the few things I can't get enough of even if I may never reach the level I once was, but it's all about being able to play and have fun again.

You experience with tennis, poker and pool sounds a lot like mine.

I used to be a very strong pool player. I stopped for a few years before surgery so my game had slipped a bit anyway. I've been trying to play again in the last few months.  I find that the high level of concentration tends to wear me down rather quickly and then my balance goes. That makes even walking around the table unpleasurable enough to take the fun out of the game for me.  However, I have had a few sessions where I was able to come close enough to duplicating my top form that I think I could actually do it if I dedicated myself to the game again. I'm hoping that with more time my stamina will improve enough to compete a little again. I think there may be a side benefit to the surgery. Playing pool competitively is tough at times. We all "choke" from time to time on an important shot. I think after all I've been through missing a "9 ball" for the game is going to seem like such a non-event choking will be pretty much a thing of the past.  ;D 

1 cm, 6mm, 4mm on Left side. Surgery performed 11/6/2008 by Dr. Kalmon Post and Eric Smouha at Mt. Sinai Hospital in NYC.
Normal hearing before, 85%-90% now, dizziness when walking or turning head, annoying hissing and high pitched tinnitus on and off, eyes have trouble adjusting to rapid head move

Tricia (horsekayak)

• Keenah and Tricia
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2009, 10:47:18 pm »
Well, here's a chime in from a kayaker. sailor,  runner, horse back rider , lap swimmer, and bicycler, so take this for what it's worth...

Go for it and see, and keep on going for it, even if it feels "funny" or "not the same" at first.

I am pre-treatment, so I have no idea what life is going to be like after, but i intend to try every sport activity i've been doing pre-treatment, as soon as possible after my treatment. 

And, I intend to take up golf as well since I think that it might be great for working on balance, concentration, etc.  And yes, i intend to keep on playing mini-golf as well, because i love the fun, and the concentration.

Basically, I think that anything that helps our body  learn new ways of doing things is good for us.  And that includes all the goofs, falls, embarassments, awkward moves, etc. that might come our way due to adjustments due to our post op condition.

I just do NOT intend to let my post-op keep me down, even if that means being propped up in a walker, or tied onto the back of my horse, or duct-taped into my kayak.  I do know that my balance issues are already slightly better since I've started doing some of the exercises recommended here, so that encourages me to think that with practice, i'll find a new "normal" with my sports that will amaze even me. 

Go for it and let us know when you get your next hole in one!!!

You've got a great bunch of support folks here ...we'll all be cheering you on, no matter what you try.

Tricia
Tricia (horsekayak)-Diagnosed 8/10/09
1.5 cm right side AN
Gainesville, GA (near horses and Lake Lanier)
Linac radiosurgery at Shands Hospital/Univ of Florida  12/1/09  Go Gators!!!

"Excellence is to do a common thing in an uncommon way"...BT Washington