Author Topic: Scared and need advice  (Read 4538 times)

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Scared and need advice
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2010, 03:50:50 pm »
Mony ~

No need to apologize for being apprehensive about AN removal surgery.  It's serious stuff - but many have gone through it very successfully.  I'm one of those, so is Jan and many other folks who'll be responding to your questions.

For those of you that do or did have one. How was the surgery?  Not bad.  I was unconscious for the 9 hours it took as you would be during your surgery. I'm sure the doctors were tired, though.

Was it painful?   No pain afterward except for a too-tight head bandage (think turban). 

How long did you stay in the hospital?  Barely 5 days. 

How long was recovery time?  About a month, for me.

As Jan correctly stated, the hospital experience varies from patient to patient.  Some have a very uncomplicated surgery, are back home in a few days and back to work in a few weeks.  However,  Jan's statement of a 4-7 day hospital stay is quite accurate and the 6 week recovery time is also the norm. 

Frankly, until you have a confirmed AN diagnosis, fretting over a surgery you may never need  seems unnecessary.  Please try to think positive and not assume the worst case scenario.   

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

kford

Re: Scared and need advice
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2010, 10:19:35 pm »
Hi,

Don't panic. It could be just as the doctor said. Taking the steroids is not a bad idea. If it turns out to be an AN, they are slow growers, so you will have time to dedcide what to do.
Gamma knife procedure 1/25/08 for a 3cm AN. Left facial weakness after contacting Ramsey/Hunt Syndrome. (They say) No hearing in left ear.